Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  13:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the request of a few forum members, and after consulting with each other, the Moderation Staff have decided to open up two new review threads.

One thread for positive reviews, one for negative reviews.

The current review thread will be locked. I encourage those who have posted reviews to copy/paste them into the appropriate thread, and I apologize in advance for the inconvenience, however we feel this is the best course of action.

RULES:

- You may ONLY post reviews and discussion of reviews in this thread. No arguing over points and counter-points (Example: If you have a negative view of the movie, don't go posting arguments in the Positive Thread and vice-versa.

- Some general discussion is fine, but if it strays into it's own topic just make a new topic for it. (Example: If the topic begins to stray to the soundtrack, start posting in the soundtrack thread.)

- Negative reviews are to be in the Negative Review thread, Postive reviews are to be in the Positive Review thread.

- Off topic posts, or posts that belong in a different thread will be deleted without warning or mercy.

- Repeat offenders will be banned.

- These rules were established to reduce flaming, off-topic posts, and clutter in the forums with new and unnecessary threads.

Edited by - Slorg on 12 Jul 2008 20:27:17

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  13:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slorg's Official Review

Plot
The plot follows the books about as close as you can in 90 minutes. Many scenes were cut, but nothing seems overly out of place, and contrary to initial reports, the movie's pacing isn't very rushed at all. It flows at a "quickened pace", but it still flows.

Characters
Character development is average, with emphasis on Tanis. I don't recall hearing that Raistlin and Caramon are twins, but they are mentioned as brothers several times. Raistlin's sickness is adequetly explained, as is each of the character's back stories. Again, the development is average at best given the pace of the film, but it doesn't detract from the story and non DL fans shouldn't get too confused.

Music
The music is beautiful throughout the entire movie and into the credits. This is the kind of music that can move one to tears, in a good way. Every score, from the cool melodies of Qualinost and Solace, to the thumping beats of battle and Pax Tharkas were performed masterfully. Even the "between scenes" music during "downtime" were excellent.

Animation
The quality of character animation differs from character to character. Tanis, Goldmoon, Tasslehoff, Caramon, Riverwind, Fizban, and Tika's designs were all good, with Tanis and Tasslehoff standing out as very good likenesses. Flint and Sturm were sadly lacking.
Character expressions were comical at times, with exaggerated looks of horror or pain in some scenes.
Goblins were very standard, all of them looking basically the same. The 3D draconians and dragons still look out of place, but it is obvious some more time has been put into proper blending during post production, as the contrast isn't as bad as we have seen earlier.
Overall animation is choppy, with poor frame rates throughout the movie. It is distracting at times, and made me visibly cringe a few times, but overall it wasn't enough to detract from my enjoyment of the film.
Partical effects were well done, as was the smoke in some places.

Voices

The voice acting was good overall. Tanis, Sturm, Riverwind, Goldmoon, Tasslehoff, and Fizban were great. Jason Marsden as Tasslehoff and Lucy Lawless as Goldmoon put in flawless performances. Flint's voice was a bit too "common" sounding. I guess you could say I've heard that same grumpy dwarf voice far too many times for it to stand out.

Recommendation

The movie is at the very least worth renting. The poor animation, although blindingly bad at times, isn't awful enough to detract from the story and I feel most people will enjoy it once they get used to the animation.

Fans of the series should buy the DVD, period. A few people won't be able to get over the movie's flaws, but the vast majority of fans will love the movie regardless, as I do.

- An honest review by Slorg
Go to Top of Page

Miles Patterson
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  16:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My positive goes to the music. From the opening scenes (which I thought was incredibly good) I really thought it set an excellent tone for the movie. I'd happily buy the soundtrack for it being a fan of fantasy music. Heck I still have the music for Wizards and Warriors kicking around. Caveat-old stoner with a tin ear, I think I can appreciate music but I have less musical ability than your average jellyfish.

An honest (there's another kind?) review

Miles
Go to Top of Page

Rastawiz

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  18:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it, my friends I had over for a Dragonlance movie party enjoyed it, my wife enjoyed it, my son and his friends enjoyed it. Some of my friends had read the books and some had not, my wife read the first 2 books and my son is reading the first. And it was enjoyed by all. In fact most people where asking when the next one is going to come out.

I think this was a good and positive step in the right direction for taking such an epic story and moving it to a different media. I bought 3 copies, one for myself and 2 for presents. I hope it sells well and that paramount gets the idea that this has great potential for a full production, live movie on the big screen.
Go to Top of Page

Pentallion
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  18:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First poster covered much of it already so I'll remark on little details.

SPOILERs!!!

I liked that Fizban used a Knock spell instead of a Fireball spell to open the cage. While funny in the book, it seemed out of character for the greatest God of Good to smack everyone in the cage with a fireball spell. The DM in me was wondering how everyone managed to save for half damage and why would Paladine nuke everyone for half damage in the first place? The knock was every bit as funny and made more sense from a character perspective.

When the little kids said they'd never seen an evil wizard before, Sturms reply that they were in luck, they had one right here, indicating Raistlin, was the best addon dialogue in the story. On a down note, they took out Riverwinds "half-man" statement to Tanis. I found it annoying that they took the time to have the conversation, then changed the conversation, leaving out one of the most memorable lines in the novel. Half-man set the tone for Tanis' character throughout the novels. Having made time for the conversation, they should have left it as it was in the book.

The 3D artwork was amazing. I'd have rather seen the entire movie done in that artwork. It would have improved the animation dramatically. Tahkisis looked incredible as the 5-headed dragon.

The smoke and flames were very well done. Greatly added to the feeling of carnage and destruction. They definately set the tone. Only one scene with fire didn't cut it. At the destruction of Que Shu, there was a hand burning. The hand wasn't scorched. It should have been blackened and crispy.

The voices were great, except, as noted elsewhere on these boards, Raistlin spell casting. Sounded like he had to hurry it up. Of course, since no one in the real world has ever actually HEARD a mage of Krynn cast a spell, none of us can argue that it didn't sound realistic. It was definately original in that it wasn't your standard, heard it a million times, spell casting voice.

Speaking of heard it a million times, I personally liked Flints voice. I think people who feel it sounds too familiar, like every other grumpy dwarf voice they've ever heard are right. It does. It actually sounds a LOT like Gimli's voice in LOTR. But I don't have a problem with that. He should sound like a dwarf afterall, shouldn't he?

Everyone knows how wonderful the music was. Definately the films strongest point. The music especially underscored the fact that this movie needed to be about 30 minutes longer. The soundtrack was paced a little slower than the movie itself and you walk away feeling that the soundtrack got it right, the suits who said make the show only 90 minutes got it wrong.

Goldmoons animation stood out the most for me. She is really well rendered. She comes off as Chieftans Daughter. Riverwind, not so much.

Tanis animation is also well done. You know that's Tanis immediately. While the animation is well done, the movie changes Tanis character dramatically and I can't say I liked it. Instead of being caught between his human and elven halves, they focus on the strength of his faith. While some parts of the book focus on Tanis faith, the movie overstresses this aspect IMO. The whole scene where Fizban preaches to TAnis about unwavering faith needed to really be cut out.

Sturm is over the top. Both my wife and I were disappointed with Sturms portrayal in the movie.

Tas was great. Not the same Tas as in the novels, yet it was. I don't know how else to explain it, you'll have to see for yourselves. I liked the movie Tas. Well done. And the voice was good too.

Caramon disappeared pretty much. Other than being hungry, he's not well portrayed at all. This isn't that big a deal because he really wasn't that strong in the first book anyways. However, Caramon should have surprised everyone and been the one to come up with one of the ideas, just as he did in the book. That was foreshadowing his character development in later novels.

Raistlin was well done for the short time alloted to the show. I think the average viewer who hasn't read DL will figure him out pretty much. They could have done the Bupu farewell scene better. They also could have had him scrabbling for his spellbook while the others rescued the disks. But other than that, they pretty much did a good job capturing him in the short time alloted.

Good show all in all. Would have been tremendously better if it had been done in 2 hours, not 90 minutes. That hamstrung it. But they did well with what they had.

Here's to hoping producers with a clue produce the next one.
Go to Top of Page

Lokan
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  20:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First I am new to these forums and would like to give a big "howdy folks".

So here is my humble review. Not sure if this would be considered a review or not but here I go.

I first saw the movie by myself and was not very pleased with what I saw. I had most of the same responses as all the other loyal DL fans have had. I then stopped and asked my 11 year old son to watch it with me and he LOVED IT. That gave me a whole new view of what was going on here.

I got to see the story through new and fresh eyes with my son and suddenly all that was bad about the movie did not seem to matter anymore. He did not know anything about the stories and had no preconceived ideas of how the movie should or should not be. So with my sons excitement and enthusiasm about the story now I am even more excited then ever before about what has been done here.

Yes it is not the best movie ever made but it may be just enough to get new folks interested and propel it to the next level.

So get out there and buy yourself a copy and check it out for yourself and be sure to watch it with some folks that may not have even heard of DL and see what they think.

Go to Top of Page

Mirgonael

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  20:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I posted in another thread, I loved the film. However, rather than just some vague support of the film, let me point out a few things I think were done exceptionally well:

- Caramon's obsession with food

- Tanis referring to Tas as their locksmith

- Fizban's explanation of the Cataclysm was hilarious

- The black dragon's acid breath was done very well

- Raistlin and Tanis arguing in front of the sleeping dragon was extremely funny

- Having the scene with Bupu giving her gift to Raistlin was excellent (Thank you MW)

- Using the woman with the open shirt to keep people from noticing the green gemstone man was brilliant

- Having Onyx look more like a succubus in her human form was an interesting twist, and actually came across nicely

- The added scene with Kitiara was the highlight of the movie

Well, that's just a few of the key points that stood out to me. All in all, it was the small things like these that made the movie go from mediocre to great. Well done.

"Uh, Lunitari's idish, shirak, damen du!" - Raistlin Majere -
Go to Top of Page

Kitiara

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  21:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree 100% with Mirgonael. Those were some of the things I really enjoyed about the movie. I never noticed the Green Gemstone Man! Although I didn't think I was looking at the naked ladies either :p

Kitiara Uth Matar
100% Legend
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a list of some of the things I liked about this movie:

1. Soundtrack (duh)

2. Voice Acting (I thought the actors used were excellent, and I'm glad they didn't try any forced accents, then it would have been ridiculous. You can always tell when an American forces a British accent and when a Brit forces an American accent; you just can.)

3. the relationship between brothers (people constantly gripe there was no disfunctional interaction between Caramon and Raist, but there is, it's just subdued because it's not spelled out for you like in the books. Raistlin pushes Caramon away a few times in the movie, and you can see the disdain in Raistlin's expression when he does it. Besides, I'm sure it will be more apparent in the subsequent films.)

4.Fizban used 'knock' (that just makes sense period. I don't care if that's not how it was done in the book, but a fireball not only injures the prisoners and kills those already hurt, but it's worse than an escape alarm tied to the gate.)

5. Berem WAS one of those imprisoned at Xath Tsaroth (s/p?) (he was just not in the foreground, because he's not supposed to be yet)

6. Tika shaking her money maker (What. I like sex and I think it's hypocritical for people to whine and pine because there's no 'Tika getting fitted into her armour' scene, but are appalled at her big knockers. Tika is SUPPOSED to be a sensual character, didn't anybody else get that when they read the books?)

7. Espirit des corps (this movie has the essense, spirit, flavour, whatever you want to call it. This movie is Dragonlance, not D&D w/ Dragonlance elements, but Dragonlance. This is the first one, and I'm positive it will get bigger and better with each subsequent movie put out.

Yes, this movie kicked ass. Margaret, Tracy, I know this movie isn't exactly what you hoped it would be, but it's still a good movie, and it DOES get people excited about Dragonlance, so kudos.

Go to Top of Page

michael
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  23:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya the music is descent. way to spend so much time and money creating a terrible movie with good music.
Go to Top of Page

Nightson
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  00:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. After reading a few more positive reviews, I worked up enough courage to drive down to my Wal-Mart and pick up the movie.

And after months of dread, I actually kind of LIKED it. And how crazy is that?

Many have been right-- in spirit, I believe the movie sticks well to the books. The animation wasn't as bad as the screenshots had led me to believe-- it was rigid, disconnected, and some loops were just AWFUL, yes, but over all it was tolerable. The 3-D annoyed the crap out of me in the beginning, but soon enough that became completely irrelevent as I watched.

I think the first thing that really -hit- me was during Flint and Tanis' meeting. When a joked was made, and I actually laughed and smiled. And then Tas popped up, I found myself equally overjoyed. Even Raistlin, and his insufferable EYESHING. Every character's appearance just gave me an inward squeal of delight. These were the Heroes of the Lance. The people I absolutely fell in love with when I was 11. I'm only 17 now, yes, but the movie was a punch of nostalgia, pure and simple. For that, I am happy with the film.

Not to say that it doesn't have its problems-- It has large ones. The condensation of the story deeply affects any and all character development. I was able to look past that, at least. Other problems I could name, but I'd rather not focus on the negative aspects.

Ha-ha, with so many negative and nasty reviews, I feel rather defensive about it now! Like that special child who's a little disfigured, but you love it anyway.

(One annoyance, though~ I'm a DL fan, not a D&D fan. And promoting DL as such, I think, was a mistake, if you expect any sort of profit out of the already-esbtalished fanbase. But whaddya do. That's just something I wanted to add.)

Even despite its flaws, I hope that this isn't the end of Dragonlance in film.

Go to Top of Page

smokeeater
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  02:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was so exited when the movie was finnaly released (on my wifes birthday) that I could hardly wait to put it in and watch it. I didn't know what to expect, with all the posts on here I was preparing for the worst but was pleasently suprised. Don't get me wrong there was plenty that was lackin but still it was just fun to sit down with my family and watch a favorite story of mine play out on the screen. My greatest joy was when my son asked me if he could read the books because he liked the movie and wanted more.

I thought the voice actors were good. Tanis, Goldmoon, Flint, Tas, Sturm, Fizban, Riverwind sounded close to what i imagined they would. Caramon and Raistlin not so much.

The story may not be as close to the book as I would like but with only a 90 min movie there is alot that has to be left out. I imho think that they did an ok job with what they had.

Animation, enough has been said. but i still found it to be enjoyable.

all in all i liked the movie. it made me laugh and at times almost made me cry but i still think imho people should give it a chance.
Edit: The music was great!!

Edited by - smokeeater on 20 Jan 2008 02:56:28
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  03:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the people coming on and saying that their son/daughter/child wants to read the book now. The teacher in me is almost in tears of joy over kids WANTING to read. That is one of the biggest problems I see, but that is another story. Thank you everyone that have posted that info....

I want say other things but I will not cheapen my musing about reading with this post, I'll wait...

Cause we've got rocks and trees
and trees and rocks
and rocks and trees
and trees and rocks
and rocks and trees
and trees and rocks
and rocks and trees
and....Waterrrrrr

Rocks and Trees – Arrogant Worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

loanwrangler
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  04:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I loved it!! I can't believe they finally came out with a movie that does the story justice!!

...oh, wait...that was a dream....my mistake

The music was excellent. The voices were good, mostly. And the overall likeness of the characters were ok, save some significant details missing...

Crap, I can't lie anymore, more to follow in the other thread....
Go to Top of Page

dilkin
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  23:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loanwrangler

Wow! I loved it!! I can't believe they finally came out with a movie that does the story justice!!

...oh, wait...that was a dream....my mistake

The music was excellent. The voices were good, mostly. And the overall likeness of the characters were ok, save some significant details missing...

Crap, I can't lie anymore, more to follow in the other thread....

I was able to overlook the so-so animation. The story was great, depsite the fast paced action. The music was great. I look forward to sequals. I'm glad I didnt buy it but it was worth the $1 rental fee =)
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  00:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved that they kept the "Run? From this rabble?" line from Sturm at the Inn. The inclusion of that line made me enjoy the movie even more.

I thought Flint, Goldmoon, and Sturm sounded great.

"Colt 45. It works everytime."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000