Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pruett66
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  05:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need to get all DragonLance Fans together to petition someone to make live action movies after the dragonlance chronicles. Live action like LOTR or Harry Potter.Have Peter Jackson direct it!!! He did an awsome job with the LOTR Movies. Or maybe the person(s) who did Eragon.....Sephera was a kool looking dragon! Demi Moore to play Kitiara,Viggo Mortensen to play Tanis, Orlando Bloom to play Gilthanis, maybe Christian Bale to play Sturm or Caramon/Raistlin and why not give one of the "little people" the job of playing Tasslehoff? By little people I mean a midget actor.And the guy who played Gimley in LOTR would be good for the character of Flint. I thought the cartoon was alright but I think a live action movie would be so much better and would portray the story so much better. I, as a fan of the Dragonlance books, would definately go to the theatre to watch it and I would also buy the DVD's when they came out. What do you guys and girls think about a Live Action Film?

pruett66
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  06:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info for you fans...........This is posted on Terry Brooks website at www.terrybrooks.net

hen Peter Jackson released the film adaptation of JRR Tolkien's novel, The Fellowship of the Ring, fantasy fans suddenly realized Hollywood could produce a quality fantasy movie with realistic special effects, strong story, and believable characters. Thousands of fantasy readers wrote into this website, asking if a Shannara movie could be far behind.

Hollywood has finally answered those fans.

Terry has optioned the rights for his Shannara series to Warner Bros until 2010; he has also optioned the rights for his Landover series to Universal Studios until 2009.

The Shannara option allows Warner Bros. to adapt any of the Shannara or pre-Shannara novels—which includes Armageddons' Children, The Elves of Cintra, but not the Word/Void books—or take any combination of the books to make a live-action movie. Right now the studio is most interested in adapting The Elfstones of Shannara, which Terry thinks is the best place to start adapting his Shannara novels; Warner Bros. has bought a The Elfstones of Shannara script adapted by fantasy writer and long-time Terry Brooks fan Eldon Thompson. The script will be used as the starting point.

Dan Farah of Farah Films & Management, Ryan Colucci and Eldon Thompson, all of whom were instrumental in bringing movie potential of the Shannara series to the attention of Warner Brothers, will be involved in the production of the film.

The director was announced in the 2007 Holiday Letter, and it is Mike Newell. He has directed large CGI movies (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) as well as strong dramatic films (Mona Lisa Smile, Donnie Brasco). No actors have signed on to the project; no artwork or preliminary work has been started. Terry hopes to see production on the project begin in 2008.

The Landover option allows Universal Studios to adapt Magic Kingdom For Sale—Sold! into a live-action movie, with the chance to use any combination of the remaining books to produce sequels. Scriptwriters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel continue to draft a screenplay and Stephen Sommers—director of several blockbuster movies—is set to direct. The project has not been greenlit, but if it does indeed go into production it will be announced here.

And as in all things Hollywood, neither of these movies may be made—just because they have been optioned does not mean they will go into production and be released.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  08:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what this site was created for.

quote:
1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, 13
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. LOVE NEVER FAILS. ...And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest is love.
Go to Top of Page

Gemsamay

Germany
970 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  00:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dragonlance fans are like Red Sox fans were before the 2004 world series. They are going to make a movie, so we all get excited cuz we're going to the playoffs. But then it's animated, and kind of sucky. So it throws us enough of a bone that we get these dilusions of grandure about a live action movie. But I really don't see us making it to the world series.. I would die of shock if they made a live action movie. That doesn't mean I'm not sitting there hoping and praying for it, but I just don't think it will happen.

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood bar wench!
and her trusty sidekick!

Save the Earth, it's the only place with wine and chocolate!
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  11:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to Agree with Gems, we may never see a live action of our Beloved DL books…

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  14:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is sad but true. Though we may wish for it vary hard it may never happen. The worlds loss as I see it, not just ours. But it would be beyond awsome if it actualy happened.

Edited by - dark mage on 04 Dec 2008 14:27:42
Go to Top of Page

Gemsamay

Germany
970 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  02:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And for the love of Betsie, Peter Jackson isn't the only man to ever have directed a fantasy flick..

Ok.. for reals, I'm done now.. haha

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood bar wench!
and her trusty sidekick!

Save the Earth, it's the only place with wine and chocolate!
Go to Top of Page

DanceswithDragons
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe if they make enough money from the cartoons.

Edited by - DanceswithDragons on 21 Jan 2009 21:43:42
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  22:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the cartoons made enough for them to consider making a second one. And I will probably be dumb enough to buy it too.

Check out my fanfic on Lucius' and Arial's romance at the following link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4658602/1/We_Met_at_the_Inn_of_the_Last_Home
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  22:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.....right behind you Scann Man....!!!!

Fizban Who?

Edited by - Fizban Who on 21 Jan 2009 22:19:56
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  11:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not me they can take the next movie and shove it.

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it does it still make a sound?
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  12:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dark mage

not me they can take the next movie and shove it.

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it does it still make a sound?

.....now now DM.....

Fizban Who?

Edited by - Fizban Who on 22 Jan 2009 12:02:58
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  12:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  12:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that they set themselves up for failure by making the animated movies out of the Chronicles. Fans of the series weren't going to be easy to please.

They should have gone ahead and made a Legend of Huma or another one like that. Dragonlance fans still probably would have bought the movie, it would have been easier to make and expectations wouldn't have been so ridiculous.

-----
  #9650;
#9650; #9650;
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  14:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sirch makes a very good point. They should have started with somthing smaller like that instead.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfecub
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  20:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fact of the matter is, when they made DoAT (especially the way they made it), they've blown a lot of expectations, not to mention the huge let down to fans they have/had because a lot of people were looking forward to this being a "live" movie not a squiggle and slap job like they've done.

Their first mistake was doing the first of the chronicles. Other than the huge cut outs of important scenes, wrecking the resolute personalities we've experienced through the books and just - in general - scenery, they've not really left themselves open to making a follow on better than the first.

If they were to do DoWN based on the same method they did DoAT they would completely lose fan interest in following movies they brought out. Unless they do this asa trial and failure method like LOTR first did. The failed attempt of drawing animation over live people, which then - years down the track, brought about the movies (even with those cuts in it. ie. The brigands raiding the shire, etc.)

Another mistake they made was that they dumped the story 1/2 way through. Non-DL people would know nothing about the characters, who they are or how they fit into the world. It's like reading a story from the middle and then to the end not understanding the foundation.

What they _really_ should have done is start from the Meeting Sextant - Kindred Spirits, Wanderlust, Steel and Stone, etc etc, not at the oncoming war. That completely disassociated characters from the viewers, and the story. but then again, Dragonlance is notorious from jumping back and forth across the timelines. Meetings sextant didn't come out till after the Chronicles, Legend of Huma came out after the Twin series, The Cataclysm and most catalsysmic events came out after a few other standard world at the time (war of the lance) and so forth.

Also, doing a follow on movie in the same crap would blow yet another budget and they'd lose profit because no one would want to purchase them due to their previous blunder.

Maybe they'll get it right next time by making it a live action movie, NOT get some oblivious idiot director who know's nothing about fantasy or read the books, and not blow it on big name actors (who probably cost most of the budget) just to draw in an audience.

Authenticity and accuracy from a book to a movie what what makes it, not the slap dash touch ups people throw in to ruin it.

My final note is that I'll still enjoy the book series that I've got every book of, but until they get a live action movie and one that's done right, then I won't bother purchasing anything visual from the company.

Edited by - Wolfecub on 22 Jan 2009 20:08:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000