Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  13:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the request of a few forum members, and after consulting with each other, the Moderation Staff have decided to open up two new review threads.

One thread for positive reviews, one for negative reviews.

The current review thread will be locked. I encourage those who have posted reviews to copy/paste them into the appropriate thread, and I apologize in advance for the inconvenience, however we feel this is the best course of action.

RULES:

- You may ONLY post reviews and discussion of reviews in this thread. No arguing over points and counter-points (Example: If you have a negative view of the movie, don't go posting arguments in the Positive Thread and vice-versa.

- Some general discussion is fine, but if it strays into it's own topic just make a new topic for it. (Example: If the topic begins to stray to the soundtrack, start posting in the soundtrack thread.)

- Negative reviews are to be in the Negative Review thread, Postive reviews are to be in the Positive Review thread.

- Off topic posts, or posts that belong in a different thread will be deleted without warning or mercy.

- Repeat offenders will be banned.

- These rules were established to reduce flaming, off-topic posts, and clutter in the forums with new and unnecessary threads.

Edited by - Slorg on 12 Jul 2008 20:28:39

RW Resurrected
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill start off this post with a pos and a neg.

Pros . After watching this for the third time i realized the animation is ok enough to watch and semi enjoy it. Music is very nice and relaxing.

Cons. My main concern is the story line was butchered badly. We know where they are going . Just missing the backbone of the plot. Messed up hue on the book Raistin asked for. No mention of Raist special herb to calm his coughing. And the elf village is no where close to how the book describes it. Limiting the movie to 90mins when average movies run around 148mins and newer disks run 186mins. was a let down.

Over all i would say rent this before you buy. I was lucky and the movie rental place i use blockbuster had moved this to the discount rack already and was able to pick up a copy for $7.99 . I know it was a mistake but i jumped on the deal.

My hopes is that the money made off this movie is used again on redoing this story in a full lenght 2 disk movie. With as much of the book included. Overall i would say this movie is entertaining for a starter.

*Sits back and waits for my post to get deleted*
Go to Top of Page

nineman
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't bother going over my review in detail again. Suffice it to say that this was a VERY poorly done movie. A weak attempt at telling a wonderful novel. I also think that trying to discuss it here is a complete waste of time. There are too many people here that are so devoted to the franchise that they refuse to see the train coming down the tracks. If you look at the reviews on Amazon right now the movie is getting about 2.5 stars on 40+ reviews. (Extremely generous if you ask me) I would say that you could look at reviews from other reputable sources, but none have deemed this worthy of even reviewing. Coming here and expecting to have an honest discussion about the pros and cons of this movie is similar to going to a PS3 fanboy site and expecting an intelligent conversation about that product.

Splitting the reviews into 2 topics will get just what these people want. Many of the negative reviews were by first time posters that showed up to proclaim their disgust. Most of these people aren't going to come back to argue their points again. Many of the positive reviews were from long time members of this forum. This way they can let the negatives fade away and keep the positive alive. In the end it'll look like everyone loved this farce.

So in short...

Animation: 1 (Abysmal)
Character Development: 1 (Non-existent)
Music: 9 (Bravo Karl)
Story Development: 1 (Extremely rushed)
Dialogue: 1 (Laughable at best)
Editing: 1 (Music so loud in at times you can't hear the dialogue. Maybe on purpose?)

I'm just hoping they screwed enough out of the fans to make a watchable movie next time.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Go ahead and lock/ ban. **I decided to stick around. I love watching a train wreck**

Edited by - nineman on 20 Jan 2008 15:11:53
Go to Top of Page

polaris1
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, am I ever disappointed at that. I have seen the whole movie and I almost cried.

It's awful, absolutely awful.

The voices/voice acting was a huge let down, like all the characters came from next door, or a television set (yes I know they did, lol) or a shopping mall anywhere modern in America. :(

Come on it's Krynn for crying out loud, not a shopping mall or something. I couldn't take any of the characters to seriously represent what I had pictured in my mind. Margaret and Tracey, is this how you imagined these wonderful characters would talk?

There was so much missing, it felt so ACCELERATED I felt as if I was being dragged off my seat, I couldn't believe what was going on. I understand that it has to be in a condensed form, but it really couldn't have been managed any worse than this.

The animation is so poor that you can barely see what is going on or get any feel for anything other than complete chaos when a battle is taking place - I know combat in real life is chaotic, but this is a fantasy animation, we're supposed to be able to make sense of such scenes.

The character development was almost non-existent, these are not the same characters; not one bit.

Dear God, I couldn't believe it when I heard this project was in the pipeline, and then I came to believe in it as I visited this site almost every day since finding out.

Then I saw the trailer. Then I saw the movie.

Thank you for reading,

A shattered fan.
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  20:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reposting my original post then.

Another disappointed fan here. I first read Chronicles as a freshman in highschool, 1989. My friends had told me about this "awesome" book so reluctantly I read DoAT. Then went on to read almost every book ever produced with the Dragonlance logo on it.

So on the 15th I had a couple of those same highschool friends over and we watched the film. We all felt as many here do that the movie is subpar. The entire movie is just too rushed and leaves out way too much vital information. We all agreed we didn't care about the animation one way or the other. It's just that heart of the story isn't told and the true life of the story which is the characters aren't explored at all.

There's no point in me picking it apart. In looking at the posts it seems most of the vital points have been covered although there are more little things.

I would ask a few questions of people that have seen the movie and think that it is good for whatever reason.
After seeing the movie answer these questions to yourself.

1. Do you know who Fizban is?
3. Do you know who Fistandatilis is?
4. Do you know who the Gemstone man is?
5. Do you know about the good Dragons?
6. What overall sense of Raistlin are you left with?
7. Are Laurana and Eliston destined to be married?
8. Did you ever get angry at Raistlin's character for the way he treated Caramon?
9. How many times did you laugh at Tas?

These are some of the questions that we all came up with and every question would have a dramatically different answer from someone who strictly watched the movie from someone who read the novels.

To me that means they changed the heart of the story.

It's too late to do anything about this release. I sure hope if Weiss & Hickman give their approval for the next/any future project it is done with more care given to the true story.

Disappointed after 19 years of waiting.

Bud.

Also I completely agree with nineman about this weeding the negativity out. The fanboys will certainly stick around these boards longer and keep saying how great this pathetic attempt at a movie this was.
Go to Top of Page

michael
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  23:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I so agree. moving negative review into one forum only and not allowing them anywhere else... only makes the blind feel like this movie rules. i LOVE these novels. read them (original 6) dozens of times since I was 14... im 34 now.

but please.... this movie COULD have been epic. much better story than LOTR truly. but what a cheap crap sandwich this movie is. shameful.

dont bother with the next books... just dont.
Go to Top of Page

MasterFistendantulis
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  00:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it would be just impossible to cram the whole book into 90min...I believe they put this movie out there because it needed to appeal to everyone that didn't read the books...Idk...the movie..sad, how can there possibly be a second? with all the missing details..PLEASE STOP NOW! no need for any further embarrassment..but I will still covet the books..an see the movie in my head..btw...did the producers even read the novels?

the music..ok couldnt hear most of the dialog
the voices.. I enjoy the actors movies?(shows)
the animation..D&D the cartoons in the 80's were better
Wonder if bestbuy will refund my $$...
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  00:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crappy thing about this movie is that it's too short, everything else was perfect though.
Go to Top of Page

Myrddin1
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  02:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MasterFistendantulis

but I will still covet the books..an see the movie in my head..btw...did the producers even read the novels?

Oh Right on. The books (especially the new ones) are absolute

masterpieces, friggin gold!

The producers? Read the novels? Preposterous!

What i'm saying is, um. . . NO! I think they wiped their ass with

the novels.

--Think of the rabbits, do you see the rabbits, Lennie?
I see em George, I seeem
Keep lookin. . . BOOM!!--

--NO! I'm not always right. It's just, I'm never wrong.--

--I don't like cocaine. Except the way it smells.--

Edited by - Myrddin1 on 19 Jan 2008 03:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Myrddin1
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  03:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Finality.

You are all fools. The movie is dead to me. I can only hope that the vast disappointment & negativity won't spill into the novels & their making.

I can only hope that DoaHM and Amber & Blood will be made. I am living & hoping on those. May the gods grant me these things. They will be the balm that sooths my shattered hopes.

Alas, Confucius Say:
Hope? Hope is the carrot you hang in front of the draft horse to keep him plodding on.

--Think of the rabbits, do you see the rabbits, Lennie?
I see em George, I seeem
Keep lookin. . . BOOM!!--

--NO! I'm not always right. It's just, I'm never wrong.--

--I don't like cocaine. Except the way it smells.--

Edited by - Myrddin1 on 19 Jan 2008 03:25:02
Go to Top of Page

crystallight2
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  05:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not going to bore every one with every little thing that I found wrong with the movie.

All I have to say is that they don’t know a hoopak from a staff sling. They missed out on major story plots that not only where good but necessary. Major inconstancies every five mints, come one how can Goldmoon have the blue crystal staff in Pax Tarkis when it was destroyed in the fight with Onix.

Ok I’ll stop.

The producers of this movie should all be put on trial for MURDER!!!

Next Dargonlance movie should have a script written by a fan who will stay as true to the master works of the novels and have a good director who will safeguard the lives of all in Dragonlance.
Go to Top of Page

maddmattg
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  15:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I swore off of this "movie" after the "rough trailer" was released. Then all these folks kept telling me it'd be so much better than that, would look like the cover art and the story was "so true to the book".

I bought it, and found that the "rough trailer" even on YouTube looked pretty much the same as this crap-filled crap-coated crap with a crap center that they put out as a final product.

Verminaard wearing a dishtowel over his face?
Takhisis is all fuzzy in most of her scenes.
People missing hands and feet.
Extra hands and feet.
No dead lizard for healing.
Giant Square Chins For All (tm).
No death by acid - wasn't this the reason for the PG-13 stated by the authors?
Big Wiggly Bewbs on Innocent Young Barmaids (tm) - seriously, she's supposed to have a rack and all, but holy stripclub freakshow, Batman!
Staff light punches people in the chest?
It seemed to be an average of about four frames per second. I even paused and frame-by-framed it, there are places where I had to advance 10 or 12 frames to see anything change.
The Forestmaster looked more like the Lawnornament.
Sizechanges all around. Grow a foot, shrink a foot. Grow a foot, shrink a foot.
No Horns for Sturm, no Helm for Caramon, but Verminaard got a dishtowel?
Elistan macking on Laurana? Wasn't there a pretty important theme later on, of Tanis's jealousy and how it was unfounded, that Laurana was mad he'd infer that Elistan was anything more than her wise mentor? Gonna be kind of hard for her to get mad now, having been macked on. Hope I'm using that term right - isn't that how you kids say it?
Bewbs here, Bewbs there, Bewbs everywhere! Tika's Bewbs are so freakishly huge they deserved a second entry. Though, I do wish my wife (or any woman anywhere, for that matter) had the ability to make their bewbs dance around and point like that.

I'm selling mine already. Probably not allowed to link here, so I'll just say check eBay for Item 110216224836. Please, get it out of my house. I'd throw it away but our trash company won't take sewage.

Edited by - maddmattg on 19 Jan 2008 15:57:57
Go to Top of Page

KiraHarden
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  16:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasnt even aware till yesterday that they had done this movie. I saw it in the Store and coudnt believe it. I new it was going home with me and I rushed home to watch it

It was good to see the characters on screen, but other than that. It was a total letdown. God I only new what the hell was going on because like many of you I have read the books countless times.

They made it seem as if there was only one type of draconian as well.

Where was Onyx bursting out of the well and Riverwind dying from her acid breath. That is a major action scene.

I think this movie SHOULD ONLY be made into live action, when a director come along that has a passion and love for the books like Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings, or Sam Raimi did for the Spider man( first 2 ). Otherwise leave the story alone.

The first book must be done in 2 movies, the other 2 books should be a bare minimum of 2 hrs apiece.

Kira

Go to Top of Page

KiraHarden
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  16:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This movie looks as if it was made for children, not the adults that have been fans for over 20yrs.
Go to Top of Page

PrincessMiranth
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess splitting the review posts is a good idea. Should keep arguing to a minimum. I must admit my review was mixed. I was frightened however, that it being my first post, I was gonna get attacked from both ends. Everyone has been kind tho, so Thanks for the update!
Go to Top of Page

tirwin
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  20:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the most disappointing movie I have ever seen. I have been visiting this website for over a year and have never said a single negative comment, even when many others ripped various parts whether it be the animation or anything else. I truly believed that with the writers being involved it would be acceptable at the very least. I am not a fan of cartoon animation in the first place but was willing to work around it if the story was good - it wasn't. This is the biggest butcher job I have ever witnessed. The story was rushed at best, and quite honestly if I hadn't read the books I would wonder why anyone really cared? They cut every scene that had any meaning to me which is nothing short of pathetic. The black dragon breathing on Riverwind is maybe the best part of a book that I have ever read along with the companions experiences in the sunken city. It lasted less than 5 minutes in this movie and all the emotions behind the moment were non-existent.

THIS MOVIE WAS TERRIBLE!!! Avoid it at all costs and if you have read the books stay away from this, it will ruin your positive memories of the experience!

I am always positive in life and don't like negative people, but there is nothing good to say about this butcher job and I will not be returning to this site again out of pure disappointment.

One final note - Peter Jackson is the only man to ever make a good fantasy movie, and I will continue to dream that somehow he makes this happen the right way (and I fully know this is nothing short of a dream that will never happen!) And for those of you about to say "no" to Jackson you can get lost! Fantasy movies in general are cheesy and unacceptable crap, and he turned it into a mainstream goldmine in which no one else has been able to do. Geeks and nerds are the only ones who generally watch this stuff but not normal people and that's what made Jackson work with Lord of the Rings work, he overcame that barrier by making it believable, and we cared about the characters. I KNOW he would do the story justice, and make us all fall in love with these characters, and I have little faith in anyone else, end of story.

Thanks for letting me rant as I am a closet nerd who is ashamed at what fantasy movies have become, and this one makes the first D&D movie look like a grammy winner (and that's bad!!!).

Do this story justice with live action, or don't do it at all!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000