Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

xmoon
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While watching the movie several times over, I kept saying to myself "Maybe when the DVD version comes out it will be better. With extra scenes and whatnot..."

Sadly, this WAS the DVD version.

Go to Top of Page

tektonikasian
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  19:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eragon was a flop. golden compass was a flop. DoAT was a flop (sorry to say). one similarity...length. the only reason why LOTR worked was because it was 3hrs.
Go to Top of Page

Yatamura
Starting Member

Greece
6 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  20:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the worst "thing" i've ever seen.Is this some kind of sick joke???First of all U CANNOT make a D&D film PG13.There is going to be killing want it or not.Besides that i can't believe a company like paramount or Wizards of the coast has the money to pay Sutherland for the voice of Raistlin but not to pay for a descent artist??Wake up people,we are in the 21st century!After watching epic films like Lord of the rings u can't expect less from a trilogy like War of the lance.Not to mention that LOTR was a real film and not animated.I've grew up and loved those books and believe me it breaks my heart to see them being destroyed on the way to the big screen.This animated movie was a dissapointment for all D&D fans.U should be ashamed.I am 26 years old now and since i was 17 i dreamt of seeing those books that i builted my dreams with on the big screen.I was happy to see LOTR...I would be happy if i could see a Descent Dragonlance film.I'm Very-Very dissapointed and once again u should be ashamed.
Go to Top of Page

AuroriaPruori
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  05:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fairly new to the Dragonlance world, having only been introduced this past year, but I have been completely drawn into the story already.

That said, I was incredibly disappointed with the film, and cannot imagine what those of you who've waited years upon years for this must be thinking...

I don't really think it's necessary to dissect the problems with voices, combined animation styles, etc - because that has already been well documented. And, I agree with almost all of them.

What I DO have to mention though, is that I was almost... saddened... by seemingly minor inconsistencies such as Tas' incorrectly designed hoopak, or Raistlin's staff shooting a beam of light at the word 'shirak' rather than simply lighting up. The fact is, minor or not, they are such commonly occuring parts of the story that every effort should have been made to keep them accurate. Those minor details are what bring the story to life, and without them it becomes something unrecognizeable to the fans who've been so deeply immersed in it.

I wondered if my reasons for disliking the film were simply because what my mind saw was different than what I saw on screen. But I don't think that's the case. Too many other people are voicing the same concerns.

I understand that there has to be a first step in the cinematic journey of this story, but despite the years and years of wait that some of you have endured - the result thus far seems incredibly rushed.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis-
Go to Top of Page

Bryce3d
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  09:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to purchase this movie even after I had read the poor reviews given regarding the previews. Like many of the other fans on the message boards I wanted to see these novels come to life on screen, animated or live action. I was disappointed with the movie. It felt so rushed that it seemed more like a saturday morning cartoon than a movie with high price actors like Keifer Sutherland. Most people realize a movie will be unable to show every event written in the book, but this seemed like it cut out half the book. The movie seemed to make the assumption that every person watching had read the book and would know all the 'sidequests' that occurred. i.e. Raistlen's test, The spellbook of Fistandatalus, Events at Darken Wood, The White Stag, The Knights of Solamnia, just to name a few.
Many posts have been made that point out the negatives of this movie and unfortunately I have to agree with most. The movie was poorly done and if I had seen this prior to reading the books I would probably have missed out on the entire dragonlace saga. I am glad I read the books first. In the future if another movie is made ignore the cries for a release date and the pressure to rush out the movie. Take as long as necessary to get the story and character development to a point where someone who had never heard of Krynn could watch the movie and be swept away with the wonders of these characters and this world.

.....Dulak.....
Go to Top of Page

HumasLady
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  15:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will start off by reiterating what others here have already put in, this movie was very disappointing.

The dialogue was poor and drowned out by the music a large percentage of the time.

The characters were rather flat but that could be due to the shortness of the movie and the lack of time to flush them out.

The animation was poor but I knew that coming in. Even with that I was still very disappointed with the way the elves were drawn I was looking around for Santa Claus, not admiring the beauty they should convey. And what was with the vines covering the Forestmaster anyone else think that looked ridiculous?!!

Although I bought it I have to say this probably ended any hope for a trilogy there's no way this stinker is making enough money to justify it.

There is no greater love than this, that a gal may give up her life for her friends.
Go to Top of Page

ChemoshisCool
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  15:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is......why? Why did the authors let this absolute shame pass through into production? Why didn't any of the story get in there? ...I say that because the story isn't there, just the plot. No character backgrounds, no consistency with the books, nothing. I cannot believe this happened. There DEFINITELY won't be anything to come after this because this first attempt was such..sh*t! Paramount needs to release a written apology for what they did to such a classic story. Totally unacceptible.
Go to Top of Page

ChemoshisCool
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  16:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other tidbit of opinion from me... I cannot believe that the credits were more exciting to watch than the actual movie. If the characters looked as good in the movie as they did in the credits...that really could have been an improvement..at least for my eyesite. I am done.
Go to Top of Page

RainNIU
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  19:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no way in h*ll that I'm going to buy this movie, rent this movie, or even watch it for free if someone offered it.

I'd love to support Margaret and Tracey, but unfortunately I can not support the final product, especially after all I've read in your reviews.
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  20:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off-topic post deleted.

Edited by - Slorg on 23 Jan 2008 00:35:26
Go to Top of Page

polaris1
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  20:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RainNIU

There is no way in h*ll that I'm going to buy this movie, rent this movie, or even watch it for free if someone offered it.

I'd love to support Margaret and Tracey, but unfortunately I can not support the final product, especially after all I've read in your reviews.

Believe me, you're not missing out on anything at all - if anything, heed the people who say they wished they'd never seen this travesty at all. I wish I was you and not seen it, thank God I never wasted my money on it - I downloaded it, watched it to see what it was like and to make up my mind whether or not I'd buy it - watched it, then erased the insulting mess from my computer.

Nobody is getting a penny out of me for this, no way. If I'd liked it I would have gone out and bought a copy. But not only did I not like it, I absolutely hated it.

What makes it worse is that the authors knew what a piece of sh*t it was going to end up like, yet continued to delude the fans into thinking this was going to be great. They finally had to come clean a little bit when the trailer eventually got released - erm, where were the doubts about this rubbish before that trailer. Yeah, thought not.

Don't appreciate being lied to and conned, which is why they are not getting a penny from me. Won't be buying the CD either, noticed Tracy Hickman made a rare appearance to bump the CD and get our 'input' about it. Bit late for input now Tracey, don't you think.

Disgrace.

Go to Top of Page

KenderSurprise
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't appreciate being lied to and conned, which is why they are not getting a penny from me. Won't be buying the CD either, noticed Tracy Hickman made a rare appearance to bump the CD and get our 'input' about it. Bit late for input now Tracey, don't you think.

Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. That whole thread about the soundtrack seems like a shameless plug. But wait a second, isn't the sountrack connected to Paramount too? I thought they had no say in what Paramount did, and yet they seem to have a certain amount of control over the soundtrack...very interesting...

I don't even have to go into the details of the movie. It was very disappointing, and just left the whole world of Krynn feel kind of empty. Even though the animation and story weren't very good, the whole feeling of the movie was halfhearted. There was no passion here that the books had. With this movie and the strange way the authors have been acting concerning it (first they are elated, and then they admit they are less than pleased) combined with the plans to scrap Hourglass Mage I've lost all respect for W & H, and I won't be buying any of the Dragonships books because they have shown what kind of effort they have left for their work.

Go to Top of Page

the_judge
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off-Topic post deleted. You also already had your final warning.

Edited by - Slorg on 23 Jan 2008 00:36:51
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I'm in high school again. Grow up kids.

So I watched the rest of the movie and I have to say that it didn't get any better for me.

Overall I'd give it a 2 out of 5 and I don't think I will need to watch it again.

"Colt 45. It works everytime."
Go to Top of Page

the_judge
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  03:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed my other warning, where was it?

EDIT: Right there.
http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/forum/go/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1368&whichpage=3
In case it wasn't clear though, consider the above warning the final one IE: You're getting a rare 3rd chance. Email me if you have furthere questions (Click my name & click email)

Edited by - Slorg on 23 Jan 2008 04:25:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000