Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

sarah
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  23:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shion

SHAME ON YOU ALL! OK the movie is animated, is that a bad thing? there are other adaptations to books that are animated and are still great as movies i.e. The Hobbit, The Jungle Book, Watershipdown. Also another poster said that average length of movie was over two and a half hours. O.K. are you joking me? most are a little short of two hours and that is not animated.

Here is what I think.......A movie can never be as good as the book, try to nam one! you can't! I also remember when Wizards of the Coast thought about making a movie and all of us Dragonlance fans where upset that we didn't get the movi of Dragonlance.....well guess what we finally did. Forgoten Realms Sells more and makes Wizads mor the Dragonlance but yet We got a Movie! Shouldnt we be proud! Yes its not exactlly like the novel, yet no movie is. at least we have something to show ou you kids and hope that they like it enough to actually read the books.

No matter if you agree with me or not, I love beeing a fllow Draonlance fan with you all!

P.S. I can't spell. Sorry
Sincerely,
Shion

Go to Top of Page

Killyou
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  11:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If any writers or producers are reading these forums they should take heed of the fans response to the first movie. These books were among my favorites growing up, and I do not feel that the movies did them any justice. I understand that you can't put the whole book in to the movie, but why add characters? I also felt the voice over was very poor and the actors sounded like they were reading a script not playing a part. For supposedly big name actors you would figure that they could at least pull off a better voice over than they did. I agree that Tas is annoying and shouldn't show any fear (important in later volumes), but he was annoying in the books, and as for the young Mike J. Fox sounding voice, that should be 86ed. The animation was very poor, its 2008 folks, this movie looks straight out of the early 90's. Hell little kid cartoons (dragonball, pokemon, ect...) all have much smoother animation and better action scenes. Lame as they may be. I feel like the enemy bashing this movie but after the nintendo game turning out so poor I had hoped someone was finally going to take this seriously. Also are the original authors involved in the production? It seems to me as their work is being butchered that they would take great interest in seeing this movie to be a success. Weiss and Hickman rock.

Brett Hood
Go to Top of Page

Cyan101
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  13:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im guessing the people who made this movie were trying to go the LOTR route by releasing a low budget animated cartoon in order to bring attention to the franchise. problem is... THIS ISNT THE 80'S!! THIS IS WHAT AN ANIMATED DRAGONLANCE MOVIE SHOULD LOOK LIKE IN THE 21 CENTURY!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38372.html#comments_top

Go to Top of Page

kitten973
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  04:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This film was a travesty of adaptation.

I lie. I can't actually call it a film..A film implies someone loved it and nurtured it and hoped the best for it. A film implies creativity and a spark of something to give it life. This is just another way to suck the life out of fans in the hopes of making still more money.

I would like to go into detail as to why this failed to achieve anything above a number on a calculator and some really happy executive, but everyone's already done that.

I hope that the people that previewed this final work, and then allowed it to be released, have suffered some sort of retribution.

This film was flat and dull and lifeless. I cannot imagine being a creative or imaginative person and having to say that I was responsible for this.

Please do not make any judgments about the novels or their fans based on this film. This is a company that obviously does not know, nor care to know, their fan-base in the slightest.

Please do all your fans, everywhere, a favour, and do NOT attempt to make sequel. Not in that pathetic and bizarre animation style, not with that weak dialog, not with your skewed plot, not with your failure to adequately develop any real feeling in your story..
And please...please...not with your total lack of regard for everybody that loves those characters and that world.

Any one who feels like they got what they deserved in that film; your loyalty is commendable but misplaced, and you deserved much, much better.

Go to Top of Page

tardismatrix
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  06:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can forgive the bad animation etc. The main thing which spoiled the movie for me was the start where they revealed who Fizban really was.

It took 3 books for the shock reveal of his true identity, yet the movie decided to show it almost straight away. WHY!!!!

I am really surprised that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman let the script writer reveal such an important plot as this.

I just hope that one day a proper movie version of the trilogy gets made by someone who actually cares about the saga, unlike the makers of this movie
Go to Top of Page

zachrivenbark

68 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The cartoon gave away every major surprise in the series. For that reason alone, it was horrible.

You don't just destroy great secrets that took the authors 3 books to build up! The filmmakers should apologize to all the people who DIDNT read DL before they saw this movie, because the story is totally ruined for them now. They will never be able to enjoy the books.

:(
Go to Top of Page

Kontorotsui
Starting Member

Italy
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  03:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tardismatrix

I can forgive the bad animation etc. The main thing which spoiled the movie for me was the start where they revealed who Fizban really was.

It took 3 books for the shock reveal of his true identity, yet the movie decided to show it almost straight away. WHY!!!!

Why? Simple, because there are going to be no sequels, thankfully, so they would never have a chance to reveal it.
And many people would stop watching THIS movie after 5 minutes, so they better reveal that immediately than later/never.
Go to Top of Page

zachrivenbark

68 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  15:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kontorotsui

quote:
Originally posted by tardismatrix

Why? Simple, because there are going to be no sequels, thankfully, so they would never have a chance to reveal it.
And many people would stop watching THIS movie after 5 minutes, so they better reveal that immediately than later/never.

If they had stuck to the story, even with the bad animation, it would have still been decent.

What ruined the movie overall was the horrible paraphrasing of dialog and plot. Nothing was so obviously stated in the books. It was like the screenplay author was trying to tell the story as fast as possible, with no thought whatsoever to quality or integrity.

Example: We don't know for sure if dragons really exist until around page 150 of the first book. And yet 2 seconds after you put the DVD in, we see a dragonlance killing a red dragon... I mean come on!

Edited by - zachrivenbark on 07 Oct 2008 15:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Thardin
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  02:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never in my life have I watched a movie as bad as this. That's saying a lot as my wife and I often watch bad movies, just for the enjoyment of picking on them. Infact I believe this is the only movie I've yet been unable to make myself finish. There's just so much wrong with it, that even if weren't horribly butchering the book (which in itself is should make the makers ashamed), it'd still be unwatchable.

Animation: To do the book any justice the movie should have been done more like the LOTR movies (the recent ones). That aside, I've seen better animation done by kids. Seriously... The animation in this movie reminds me of the smurfs, but at least that animation was watchable. This just made me want to gouge out my eyes.

Voice Acting: The voice acting was horrible, though I have to give the actors some credit; the dialog was poorly written at best.

Translation: We all know that movies are never exactly the same as the books. That said, even though I knew what I was watching was a movie version of the book, I saw very little in common with it. Granted it had all the same characters, the plot was similar, but who and what the characters were was completely lost.

In my opinion this movie should never have been made. If you are going to translate a story as good as this one to film, at least do it some justice. Sure DL doesn't make WTC as much money as FR; but the stories are for the most part better, at least in my mind and most people I know.

I would rather chew my viens out of my wrists than finish watching this movie. What I did watch was about as enjoyable as the time I was forced to listen to mmm-bop on repeat for about an hour (long story).

Edited by - Thardin on 20 Oct 2008 17:58:04
Go to Top of Page

zachrivenbark

68 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  22:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dear audience-members-that-have-never-read-Dragonlance,

Just in case you still had a shred of inclination to read the books, after watching this animated movie, we have decided to tell you every single big surprise in the first trilogy, just to make absolutely sure if you do pick up the books, that this stunning and beautifully crafted story is totally and completely ruined for you.

Sincerely yours,

The Filmmakers

Go to Top of Page

Darmack
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  03:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad, Bad, Bad. If you really plan on maiking Book 2 and 3, you should first consider a remake of Book 1. This was the worst book to movie I have ever seen. The story was destroied. I'm just glad I watched it online instead of paying real money for it. I suggest everyone thinking about this crapy film just go buy the book and read it. Your money would go to real story tellers that way. Please do the world of the Dragonlance a favor, start over or go away.
Go to Top of Page

Darmack
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  03:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
******************************************************************************************************************************************Quote:""""""Dear audience-members-that-have-never-read-Dragonlance,

Just in case you still had a shred of inclination to read the books, after watching this animated movie, we have decided to tell you every single big surprise in the first trilogy, just to make absolutely sure if you do pick up the books, that this stunning and beautifully crafted story is totally and completely ruined for you.

Sincerely yours,

The Filmmakers"""""""
******************************************************************************************************************************************

Not close to the truth. sure you will see that this "CARTOON" presents most of the information in the wrong context, out of order and without the strong presence of character that the book presents to you. While reading you will be drawn into the story feel the characters pain and laugh and smile alot. This "CARTOON" dosn't come close to ruining the story for any reader. Enjoy the books.
Go to Top of Page

zachrivenbark

68 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  20:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darmack

******************************************************************************************************************************************Quote:""""""Dear audience-members-that-have-never-read-Dragonlance,

Sincerely yours,

The Filmmakers"""""""
******************************************************************************************************************************************

Not close to the truth. sure you will see that this "CARTOON" presents most of the information in the wrong context, out of order and without the strong presence of character that the book presents to you. While reading you will be drawn into the story feel the characters pain and laugh and smile alot. This "CARTOON" dosn't come close to ruining the story for any reader. Enjoy the books.

Sorry, but the surprises ultimately fuel the character arch, which is what makes the characters so interesting. If you already know the surprises, then the decisions the characters make seem less impressive, and it really hurts their believability.

Any story with huge plot twists is pretty much crippled if main plot points are leaked to the public.

The quality of the movie is irrelevant. Whether it turned out amazing or horrible, either way, there was absolutely no reason to leak key plot points in the next two books. It's disrespectful and petulant.

I would point out key plot points that were unnecessarily ruined by the cartoon, but I don't want to site spoilers :O

Edited by - zachrivenbark on 01 Jan 2009 20:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Bobby Cuckoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  05:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thats another nail in my childhood coffin. First lucas with his destruction of star wars and indy, now this. (thank the gods for chris nolan and pete jackson).
Like many I have loved these books for 20 years or so, and was looking forward to this film. When i heard it was animation it didnt really shock or bother me, due to the low budget it seamed like an obvious choice.
I was disturbed however when i heard they were going to mix 3D&2D,If 3D is used seperately with some subtlety, as in futurama etc it can be effective. However mixin organic 3d and 2d, hmm is that a crack.(still gonna watch it, its dragonlance)
Then i discovered the cast and my crest fell further, why spend a big chunk of budget on the biggish names, who said werent even gonna try any accents. hmmm. It is a crack, is it getting bigger.(still gonna watch it, its dragonlance)

Anyhoo with a completely open mind, for the most part,I finally watched it when it was released in the UK a while back, then i waited a while and watched it again. (after id stopped crying and my eyes had healed). Now im
never gonna watch it again, its not dragonlance.
Im not gonna go over all the points already in the forum.
I am gonna whinge about the parts that hurt the most.
The animation is as mentioned many times, awful. U dont need live action to create 'real' characters that we can care for relate to and who can express emotion. Just watch 'princess monenoke' or 'howls moving castle' where the animation is a thing of beauty and helps emerse yourself in the characters and story.
Ah the characters and the story.....
The reason i go back to the world of krynn. More so the characters, every time i read the books i see more about the characters, even my favorite can change, from raistlin (when i was teenager angry with the world) to sturm (young proud wanting to prove something to myself), to tanis (now i just want an easy balanced life).
The storys are wounderful but it was always the players that dragged me back.
As for the film characters..nothing, there was so much missing it hurt.
One of the bits that i miss most ,even tho i understand it doesnt push the plot, is the swamp and the whicker dragon, this shows more of the relationships between tas and flint, the twins, caramon and sturm. and has good humour and despair. Also it has the raistlin laugh.(so he has a sence of humour, uncomforting as it is).
As for the story....
Here we are in solace, now darken wood,plains, xak tsaroth, now back to solace, quick stop in qualinesti (at least i think it is, looks a bit
s@#t)on to pax tharkas.
phew... did we break the record.
I could go on but i already have..
I agree with some other points made. Reboot, give it to the japanese anime people, they know how to tell a fantasy tale using animation. They know the story is a vessel to help you fall in love with the players.

Good to know there are lots of fans like me out there.
heres to you, which ever moon you look to.

Edited by - Bobby Cuckoo on 09 Jan 2009 05:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Wolfecub
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  07:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admittedly guys - sorry. I've got _every_ dragonlance book made and I'm right into the book series itself.(3 bookcases full to date). I've still got 6 books coming over from the States just to get me up to the publisher's releases.

However, I was seriously disappointed by the "movie". In all honesty, with the movie, firstly it shouldn't have been cartoon animated. A live cast would have been great, especially if the scenery was a cross between movies such as LotR, Eregion (partly for the dragons), Dragon Wars (partly for the dragons), plus most of the other movies out there over the past 10 years. Cross-referencing them in terms of scenery, medi-eval authenticity would have been great.

However, this movie and actually capturing an audience into _wanting_ to read the book series has been severely butchered. Firstly, you've got to ask yourself, if new readers did see this "movie" first, then thought to read the book series, even those new readers would be embarasased by how the book series completely leaves it for dead. Not to mention, if they do see the "movie" how many possible readers have you perhaps lost due to the movie.

Live people instead of blocky animation woul have been far better - as a cartoon, it was a mistake. I understand some of your illustrators pride themselves on fantasy drawings, but putting them into moving animation killed most of that.

Like someone else said in a way earlier post, you didn't express their characters as individuals and that is and has brought them across tothe viewers as a complete disassociation to the film.

When Flint died - when I first read about his heart giving out going after Berem, that had hit me hard I actually got very upset about it because I'd grown attached to the whole lot of them. That's what the film was missing for the most part.

But as stated earlier also, the movie was rushed, a lot of the key elements were missed in the films creation. When the companions were heading from Goldmoon's/Riverwinds village to Xak Tsaroth, there was no indepth grief of all they'd lost. You missed out where Tasslehoff and Flint got rip roaring drunk and fell off the log into the creek which saved them from detection as the rest of the grp was captured and put into the bamboo pen by draconians. The whole wax dragon thing was completely removed from that part of the story also. You've lost the conspiracy of Gilanthas, the discovery of Eben and most of the experience inside Kith Kanan's tomb.
Tasslehoff was - for the most part - disconnected to Fizban's Death. Tika came across as a faceless whore who (other than the first part of the movie) just seemed to be baggage.
I remember reading when Tika experienced her first battle in her mis-matched armor and you could actually read into her terror. I didn't see any of that here what-so-ever.

At Xak Traroth, you completely removed Riverwind's death where Onyx black comes out of the well and melts him into a puddle of acid. Not to mention countless of other cut outs that made the movie disappointing and unfulfilled. You've left too many questions for viewers (not to readers who know the story) as to who a lot of the people were and what their role was.

I vaguely remember some years back (over 10) that the company was going to make the movie with the Canadians and that the reason the plug was pulled was because they apparently wanted to change the story line... I see no difference with this decision vs the other decision.

Perhaps you should have started earlier books such as the Meeting Sextant series so people could associate and grow up with the characters instead of throwing faceless "art" out there. YOU may know the characters but you're trying to capture people's attention who don't know their personalities.

That's my say.... I'd say personally, stick to books, you describe events and activities far better than trying to associate visual and audio as you've done with the movie.

Edited by - Wolfecub on 18 Jan 2009 17:26:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000