Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  17:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve Frits is a regular writer for newsarama.com and that page was part of viewaskiew's group of webpages and stuff. Besides a feud that looks like something from highschool, between the sites creator and a rival site (which may or may not involve Steve), the guy looks really legit. he also does some animation work. Which could give him a decent perspective on whats going on in the film animation wise. It could also make him a snob. Who knows for sure?

I haven't read any of his stuff bfore. but you can look him up on wikipedia (I found references to him in the newsarama page) And you can read a few more of his past reviews on the website to see if they match up with your opinons.

Personally, I don't care about the animation anymore. yeah it will be cool to see it, but I am more interested in how well they convey the story.

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?
—Favorite kender expression, Dragons of Winter Night
Go to Top of Page

Mallen

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  00:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird. It seems like he didn't know it was going to be a regular 2d cartoon. At least he didn't say anything about the awkwardness of the 2d to 3d so thats cool.
Originally as I was reading this it got me down but now, I'm actually stoked about this. Personal preference of what one jagoff thinks. I'm excited to judge for myself.
Besides, did "HEAVY METAL" come out to great reviews in 1981...Probably not but I don't remember, I was 1.

Edited by - Mallen on 08 Jan 2008 00:27:56
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  02:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to take movie critics with a grain of salt, because remember, they're paid to give their asinine opinion about the movies they watch. Also, it's not above Roger Ebert (among others) to give a "positive" review if the production company responsible for the movie in review greases his palm. Let's face it the world is run on money, and that includes opinions. So in the end, I guess we'll just have to watch the movie and make up our own dam minds for ourselves. *gasp*, thinking for myself has never been so hard.

Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  02:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That really is a good way to look at it, Lamassu.

It's odd that I agree with you, yet I can't bring myself to buy the DVD anyway just to "see for myself".

Most of what I've seen I haven't been happy with, and now critic reviews are beginning to come in with negativity as well. I think the vast majority of fans are unhappy with the animation and only the story can save it (especially with some questionable voice acting beginning to pop up).

With everything hinging on the story, I personally can't find it within me to pull out the wallet.

I think I can compare it to The Golden Compass.

Apparently the story behind it is good (even if I don't agree with the principals), yet people complained about the rushed feel of the movie and it did horrible with critics.

I guess a great story can't save every movie.

I still say that an official finished trailer could sway my opinion towards buying it. Though I wish Paramount would support Blu Ray. That's another discussion altogether though.
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  03:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem with that is that a lot of people are "influenced" by the critics. Think about the time any of us went to see a movie, eat at a restaurant, etc, just because someone said it was good. And then you walked away saying," why the hell did I do that dumb-a$$ thing...that sucked"

As mentioned, critics get paid to say something about a product, and they would have a greater audience that the average Joe Six-Pack. Most of us with a modicum of self-reflection and intelligence would take any opinions with a grain of salt, but there is an industry for critics, so it must work at some level.

I still think they are mostly on par with lawyers.

I will decide once I hear from you guys, the fans that I trust more, than some greasy palmed critic...if I haven't seen it before that.

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw’s a fascist regime
Don’t think that they don’t have feelings
Just cause a radish can’t scream

Carrot Juice is Murder – Arrogant Worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Priest4hire

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  05:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who has ever seriously put forward a theory that a movie goer should make subservient to a film critic his entire opinion on film? I fail to see what reading a review or even using reviews to help decide which movies to watch has to do with thinking, or not thinking, for one's self. But let's not stop here. Why allow others to dictate the contents of our imaginations with their writing and movies?

A review like the one linked to in this thread is basically a 'consumer report' deal. It's to give people who are not already invested in the film an idea. That doesn't include people visiting this forum. I know for myself there are movies I will watch automatically and movies I like to know a bit about before I watch. One of the most important things a movie reviewer can do is champion good movies that would otherwise slip through the cracks and be lost. But that does not mean, in any sense of the word, that I don't form my own opinions on the movies I watch.

quote:
Also, it's not above Roger Ebert (among others) to give a "positive" review if the production company responsible for the movie in review greases his palm.

You have any proof to back up this accusation that Ebert accepts bribes?

"There is no particular mystery in animation... it's really very simple, and like anything that is simple, it is about the hardest thing in the world to do." - Bill Tytla
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  15:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Priest4hire

A review like the one linked to in this thread is basically a 'consumer report' deal. It's to give people who are not already invested in the film an idea. ... One of the most important things a movie reviewer can do is champion good movies that would otherwise slip through the cracks and be lost.

You prove my point, it's clear you take stock in film critics, and that's fine, whatever floats your boat. But you're wrong in stating it's "important" for a movie reviewer to champion "good movies", because both the terms "important" and "good movies" are subjective in nature. Personally I find myself disagreeing with Ebert in every critique he makes, but that's just me. So is my definition of a "good movie" less accurate than Eberts? Anyone who says 'yes' can go screw themselves because my opinion is just as valid as his. That's the whole point of contention, don't paint these guys like knights in shining armour saving the damsel in distress (the "good movie") from obscurity. These guys are paid to peddle their OPINIONS and if you want your movie to be peddled by their "glowing review" then you gotta pay the piper.

quote:
You have any proof to back up this accusation that Ebert accepts bribes?

After much intensive research, sleepless nights and endless pots of coffee, I indeed never bothered to look because I don't care about Roger Ebert, he could die tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me. Such a sweet job, get paid to give your asinine opinion... what a cop out.

Go to Top of Page

xmen510

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  16:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site (and particularly this thread) has now convinced me to not come back here again. All people around here seem to how to do is to insult and degrade people for their opinion. If you don't agree, fine, state so and give reasons. The reactions I have seen around here has been extremely childish and quite frankly embaressing as a Dragolance fan and Person in general. The moderation of this site has become quite lax indeed. Too many times you even see the moderators agreeing with such posts, when they should be neutral and moderate all posts, whether they agree with the statements or not. Courtesy is something that should be practiced at all times, especially when you are talking about other people. Just because you do not agree with someones opinion does not mean that they are asinine, corrupt (you know, you can go to jail for that statement without proof) or or idiots (to name a few of the insults). This behaviour is not called for in any way. I would ask the moderators to step up and do what they are here to do and moderate these boards. They have gotten out of control. I am suprised that the "Official" part of this site has not been revoked. Please make this a place that ALL fans can come and enjoy their time together.

Steven.
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  19:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xmen510

Just because you do not agree with someones opinion does not mean that they are asinine, corrupt (you know, you can go to jail for that statement without proof) or or idiots (to name a few of the insults). This behaviour is not called for in any way. I would ask the moderators to step up and do what they are here to do and moderate these boards. They have gotten out of control. I am suprised that the "Official" part of this site has not been revoked. Please make this a place that ALL fans can come and enjoy their time together.

I don't know if this rant is directed towards me, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was. For the record, in neither of the two posts I put on this thread did I call anybody an idiot or corrupt (I guess the police won't be bashing down my door after all). I hear this same gripe by the same people all the time, in no way did I show any disrespect towards anyone in any of my recent posts. If you want to leave Steven, fine that's your perogative, but I will not be accused of getting "out of conrol" when all I did was express my opinion (and yes it's an ASININE one at that), surely you guys know of the two things that everybody's got right? I don't like movie critics and I don't take much stock in their ASININE OPINIONS, I didn't know Roger Ebert was your boy that you would leave the forum in such a huff. You know what, from now on, I'll be the yesman, I'm getting tired of being roped into bull$h!t fights like these, so I'm going to agree with what everybody says so no one's feelings get hurt, okay? *ahem* Roger Ebert is a cunning movie critic who never fails to hit the mark, his farts smell like roses and he's the best thing to happen to this country since the Revolution.

Edited by - Lamassu on 08 Jan 2008 19:35:59
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  21:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm beginning to grow imaptient with waking up every morning to find people bickering on the forums.

1 - I've said this before: If you disagree with someone's opinion, do so with respect. If someone decides to flame you, resist the urge to flame back.

2 - I disagree with the opinion that the moderation is getting lax. The number of threads I've had to delete and lock the past few days would suggest otherwise, and that's not even counting those Sirch has locked or deleted.

3 - The moderators can't be here 24 hours a day. If a thread is getting out of hand and we're not around, just email one of us and we'll deal with it.

4 - The original topic for this thread is the Movie review, not whether critics deserve their jobs. Let's get it back on track.
Go to Top of Page

Culture20

162 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

Though I wish Paramount would support Blu Ray.

Paramount to Drop HD DVD?
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/08/1220213
Go to Top of Page

xmen510

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't particulairly care for the review on Newsarama. I do not agree with some of what was said in it. Also, as a side note, I must say that I also do not care for Mr. Ebert or his opinions most of the time (Just making that clear).

Yes I am posting here still. I had a discussion (if you wish to call it that) with someone and I have decided to stick around. Most of my comments were not directly aimed at you Lamassu (sorry if you took it all as directed at you). I was respectful in my comments (I thought) and would ask the same courtesy in response.

I for one am going to wait until I see the movie before making any opinions one way or the other. I generally don't agree with most reviews myself and take them at face value (One persons opinion).
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha! I was about to make a comment about that too(paramount HD-DVD). But it depends on who you ask, and I think (best MOD impersination) that there is a topic about this debate in the films/tv shows section of the forum.

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?
—Favorite kender expression, Dragons of Winter Night

Edited by - james on 08 Jan 2008 22:59:44
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xmen510

I don't particulairly care for the review on Newsarama. I do not agree with some of what was said in it. Also, as a side note, I must say that I also do not care for Mr. Ebert or his opinions most of the time (Just making that clear).

Yes I am posting here still. I had a discussion (if you wish to call it that) with someone and I have decided to stick around. Most of my comments were not directly aimed at you Lamassu (sorry if you took it all as directed at you). I was respectful in my comments (I thought) and would ask the same courtesy in response.

I for one am going to wait until I see the movie before making any opinions one way or the other. I generally don't agree with most reviews myself and take them at face value (One persons opinion).

I agree with everything you said, and I'm sorry if I came off a bit brusque. You were indeed very respectful and deserve no less in return. My only point was that the critic was actually complaining about the same things that we've beaten to death on the forum (subpar animation, stiff movement) and of course the dreaded comparison to LOTR (but of course we knew it would be brought up and will continue to be brought up by any and all movie critics who'll watch the movie). So all in all, the guy's critique of the movie isn't anything profound or even new to us, and we should expect a lot more like this one after the 15th.

Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Culture20

quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

Though I wish Paramount would support Blu Ray.

Paramount to Drop HD DVD?
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/08/1220213

I heard that too, check Blu-ray thread. James and I have both posted there.

I feel a bit guilty here 'cause I asked James to look into the reviewers credentials and now we are slamming each other over Ebert and others. And it snow balled from there.

Slorg, you and Sirch are doing a great job keeping most of the crap out of here. Like you said, you have a life and can't be here 24/7 so things slip by. No biggie. Fallable like the rest of us mere mortals (how do you like your coffee?, right James?)

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw’s a fascist regime
Don’t think that they don’t have feelings
Just cause a radish can’t scream

Carrot Juice is Murder – Arrogant Worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: