Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AndrewLaubacher

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  20:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need to scroll down a bit: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=142121

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, MythBusters

Culture20

162 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  22:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh. "Borrows too much from LoTR" In other words, this guy never read the DL books.
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  22:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The animation for the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie isn't from India. "Bagdasarian" is the last name of the Chipmunks creator, not an animation studio.

The animation is a given, but the reviewer could at least get his facts straight.

---
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  23:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't respect the reviewer because it doesn't look like he didn't do much research into the origins of the story.

-----
Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would go away
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  23:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo, that guy knows a few random gamer terms and figured, "Hey, lets bash this movie and sound cool to the people who are "in-the-know"! Idiot...

Respectfully submitted,
Fistandscanndalus
(The poster formerly known as Scanndalus)

Bupu, you have been a good and true friend to me. You saved my life and the lives of those I care about. Now you will do one last thing for me, little one. Go back. I must travel roads that will be dark and dangerous before the end of my long journey. I cannot ask you to go with me.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or you could look at it like this:

He didn't know the Dragonlance story, and after watching the movie, still wasn't impressed.

Looks like the goal of turning non-fans into fans is going to be a lofty one at best.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  01:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

He didn't know the Dragonlance story, and after watching the movie, still wasn't impressed.

Looks like the goal of turning non-fans into fans is going to be a lofty one at best.

Good point...

Respectfully submitted,
Fistandscanndalus

Bupu, you have been a good and true friend to me. You saved my life and the lives of those I care about. Now you will do one last thing for me, little one. Go back. I must travel roads that will be dark and dangerous before the end of my long journey. I cannot ask you to go with me.
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  01:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

How many teenagers or young adults that you know are going to want to watch a cartoon that is based in D&D. I think any new fans that you bring in with a cartoon like this are likely going to be younger than the people who will be reviewing it.

-----
Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would go away
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  02:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And with the movie being rated PG-13, it merely solidifies my point.
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  03:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

You being the resident news hound, could you (would you) have the time to get some background on this Fritz dude?

I've never heard of 'em, and I would put less stock in an unknown critic about movies (I find critics are a bare step above laywers) than I would in the comments of some guy that is smashed out of his tree after leaving the bar, slurring his way around the quality of the greasy sausages being sold in the wagon outside.

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw’s a fascist regime
Don’t think that they don’t have feelings
Just cause a radish can’t scream

Carrot Juice is Murder – Arrogant Worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Haralion

Canada
959 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  03:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What'S interesting to see with this type or review is actually that he didn't know too much about anything. Because, the movie should be a way to get new fans, not only content the existing ones. And if people like this guy isn't impressed with what he sees,be sure that many others wont either and that's not good.... I almost dread the day when i pop the dvd in and i fear i'll cry watching the movie....

''I believe tomorrow will be better than today and I'm willing to work for it ...
it may or may not be true, but it's worth believing. "
Tracy Raye Hickman
Go to Top of Page

Pepsimus
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  03:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair, Dragonlance does "borrow" quite a bit from the Lord of the Rings formula. Personally, though, I prefer the characters in Dragonlance. Tolkein couldn't write personality (IMHO).
"
The reviewer, in a reply, does state that he has read the book:

Yep, I have read the DL book, and that brings up my counter question to you. Have you seen the movie? If you have, the "something more" that you addressed is hardly touched upon in this film.

And the animation really is lacking. Wait until you see the Dragons and their minions.

Finally, the relationship between the brothers, again, only hinted at. I get the feeling this film is only the first and it MIGHT be addressed in future films, if done."

The way he replies still makes me feel like he hasn't read it ("I get the feeling this film is only the first," for example... well, duh..).

Edited by - Pepsimus on 07 Jan 2008 03:58:38
Go to Top of Page

Priest4hire

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  04:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not much of a review and I'm not putting a great deal of stock in it. That said....

It is quite irrelevant whether the reviewer has read the book. If anything it's almost a disadvantage to have done so. But it matters not either way. A movie is not a visual aid for the book and as such only what is included in the movie matters to the movie. A film adaptation must stand on its own merits. Thus to suggest a reviewer is wrong about a movie on the basis of knowledge from the book is very odd. It is tantamount to admitting the film has failed as an adaptation.

"There is no particular mystery in animation... it's really very simple, and like anything that is simple, it is about the hardest thing in the world to do." - Bill Tytla
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  05:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Priest4hire

It's not much of a review and I'm not putting a great deal of stock in it. That said....

It is quite irrelevant whether the reviewer has read the book. If anything it's almost a disadvantage to have done so. But it matters not either way. A movie is not a visual aid for the book and as such only what is included in the movie matters to the movie. A film adaptation must stand on its own merits. Thus to suggest a reviewer is wrong about a movie on the basis of knowledge from the book is very odd. It is tantamount to admitting the film has failed as an adaptation.

Excellent point. I hadn't read the Hobbit when I first watched the cartoon and I enjoyed it. I've enjoyed L.A. Confidential and James Bond movies and have never read any of the books. Heck, I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books but got a kick out of watching the movies.

Just because the movie is Dragonlance and Dragonlance is awesome, doesn't mean that the movie will deliver as well as a movie should.

---
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

oldfan

80 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  10:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" being from India part, that's not wholly correct but it's not completely off the mark either.

Rhythm & Hues which was the primary vfx vendor for the Chipmunks movie recently in the past few years opened up a branch in Mumbai which has grown quite a bit. It's rather like outsourcing some of their work to India, but the two studios are fairly tightly integrated so it seems more like an extension of R&H in India.

It is only w/ recent the advent of the net and secure high speed data transfer and videoconferencing that these developments are possible, but pretty cool none-the-less.

R&H was also the lead vfx studio on The Golden Compass, in charge of all the lead daemons in the film. From what I've gathered, R&H India has been the primary fx facility for both shows, and so I suspect that while the bulk of the work may have been done in India, they were likely heavily directed with the bulk of the design and lead work done in the LA facility.

Anyway, in this day in age of fantasy, a group of "companions" adventuring to "save the world" has become rather cliche, so I can see why it would be such a turn off to the reviewer. Although if you knew anything about the books you'd know what it was about. If you didn't and were pretty well read in current fantasy, yeah, it'd be far too similar to Lotr for most tastes.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  13:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pepsimus

The reviewer, in a reply, does state that he has read the book:

Yep, I have read the DL book, and that brings up my counter question to you. Have you seen the movie?

This reviewer is an idiot. He loses even MORE credibility by asking if we have seen the movie. IT ISN'T RELEASED YET! WHat kind of a comeback is that?

Respectfully submitted,
Fistandscanndalus

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000