Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Nathaniel

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  10:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i may have hit the wrong quote button, i meant to hit the one above your post... the one from alannahpj which seemed to drone on and on about the same thing, then again i may be cloudy on the whole term of flame so i will label his post 'repetitive', now i may have read his then yours and taken out of context the fact that alannahpj may have been serious while you were not.

i believe that about sums up my mistake, my bad

on a side note: (for hilarity sake) i have been a member of a few forums in which the mods figured they were above the ToS agreement, not you of course, some which got so extreme as to ban all users who disagreed with them in one particular topic (wii games)

________________________________________________________________________________
"Because I have to stand here boldly holding the spoon, I can't be bold and open the door at the same time." -Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Edited by - Nathaniel on 08 May 2008 10:49:26
Go to Top of Page

illthid
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  22:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the books to my kids and they could not wait for this movie to come out. We rented the DVD as soon as it came out.

They actually walked out on the movie.

My kids were 11 and 12 and they thought this movie was terrible. We all love Lucy Lawless and thought even if the animation was bad the movie had to rock.

We are so sorry this happened to such a great story.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  20:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-Stickied due to the recent release of the film in Australia and the UK.

Go to Top of Page

Prophet
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  22:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, the Movie, what an embarasment.
I have been a fan of the Chronicles sice I was 15, I'm now 37 and still enjoy them and all the other Chronicles still. I have always wished they would make a movie that would maybe rival or compliment the likes of LOTR (not the animated one, yet another embarasment to another fine series of books...but thats another story) but more like Pete Jacksons.
Imagin my surprise when I rocked down to my local video store and found not a real life, but a animated movie version. How cool I thought finally I get to see what's been in my imagination sice I was a boy. But alas no, within the first few minutes I was dissapointed with crappy 3D and 2D animation, lackluster over the top music that never seems to stop at anytime during the movie, poor voice acting and Chracters that bear no resemblence (except maybe Raist) to anything I remember from my imagination, the Art of Dragonlance, Book covers and ADnD modules. I gritted my way through the movie till the end but all I could think of was what kind of crappy review I could post on the forums and mega dissapoinment!!

Wizards, how could you have let such a bad movie be made?? I hope Margret and Tracy had sturn words to you after! I doubt TSR would have let that happen.

I'm hoping now that like LOTR's first effort in animated movies a follow up of a True life (with 3D animated Dragons etc) will follow but to a much higher standard. I'm sure that the fan base would like to go see and Good!! Movie. Go ask Peter and Fran what they are up to, they might be interested :-)

I'd pay to see a blockbuster movie, and yes it would have to be a 3 parter. How about other fans? Would you guys??
Go to Top of Page

DragonPimp
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my first post. Could be my last. I've been lurking here on and off ever since I first discovered this site when I was bored and randomly googling DL stuff. Speaking of that, I think the only thing lower than the budget for this movie was its budget for advertising. I never heard a thing about it other than here.

Perhaps there is a Wizards of the Coast or D&D website that was pimping this movie or something. Whatever.

I first read DL about 15 years ago. I loved it immediately and it is to this day my most-read series of books. My original copies are damn near falling apart I've read them so many times.

So a few weeks ago I get a text from a friend that tells me he's rented the DL movie. I hurriedly proceeded to his place. Believe me, I would have happily bought the thing if it was remotely worth it. It wasn't. I didn't even spend anything and I want my money back. Perhaps the unhappiness of the fans will be enough to light a fire under someone to do a better job, but I doubt it. This is one genre that, save Lord of the Rings, Hollywood just doesn't take seriously. I really wish I were wrong on that point.

I really can't believe how bad this was....all the references to '80's cartoon-style animation are pretty much spot-on. It felt like the old D&D cartoon or He-Man....it really made me very, very sad. And angry, to be honest. I immediately began reading Chronicles again because I couldn't let that piss-poor attempt at a movie be my last impression of the story. I'm nearly done with Legends now, and I'm glad to be reading the books again.

I haven't said anything that hasn't already been said. As a fan, I suppose I felt obligated to share my disappointment with other fans. This movie is embarrassment to the franchise, plain and simple.

Anyway. Ugh.

Edited by - DragonPimp on 14 Jul 2008 22:02:49
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  03:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything you've said is fair enough. I guess it really doesn't matter if it's already been said, it's still another voice added to the throng.

Although I managed to enjoy the movie enough to not hate it, I still feel it's important for opinions to be posted and seen. We all want a better movie, and it's the only way we'll get one.

Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Dragon, if anything good came out the experience for you, it gave you the reason to love the books all over again
Go to Top of Page

eqionox1993
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  16:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok let's see where to start... Allrighty then here we go. I have been a fan of the dragonlance series for about a year now, there the only books that I feel like reading over and over again. I've read the children's version of the war of the lance. I absolutely loved the books, and when I heard that they were going to be made into a movie I was soooo excited!!!! I couldn't wait to see my favorite characters on screen!!! Then a couple a days ago, I bought the movie and couldn't wait to get home so I could watch it.

After I whatched it I felt as if I hadn't watched it at all. I had been on youtube and wated a couple of videos before I got the movie, it was basicly the same.

Reasons for my disapointment...

The animation was terrible, you should never mix 3D and 2D never! It looked like crap!!! It all should have been done in 2D.

They chopped up the story way too much. There were soo many little details that were not in there, there's a long list that I'm going to go through.
In the book Sturm was the one who led the plainsmen to the Inn.
Tanis and Flint met Tasslehoff before they fought the hobgoblins
Tanis, Flint, and Tas got to the Inn before Sturm and the Plainsmen
The companions didn't go to Tika's house
The words from Raistlin's spell that made the hobgoblins go to sleep had different words in the movie that the book had
The companions were hiding in the woods when they met up with the draconions the first time.
In the book Sturm went mad after being hit in the head while trying to free his sword
There was no White Stag
Where were the centaurs that took the companions to the Forest Master
Where was Riverwind being killed by Onyx
Bupu didn't take the companions to the high bulp
where was Raistlin's failure to distract the dragon in Xak Tsaroth
Raist never told Bupu to look for Fistandantilus's spell book
The spell book was dark blue not brown

There is much more that I'm not happy with, but I have to go now, but I shall return to continue the list.

Armagedon
Go to Top of Page

Sir Sarin
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  16:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly...i really was crushed by the movie. First off, please keep the animation on one scheme. The fact that dragons had a different kind of animation than the rest of...the WORLD, dissapointed me immensly. I love these books, i love the authors, and i will buy everybook i see, but this movie gave dragonlance a bad name. I didn't notice the soundtrack only because i was so angry at the movie when it started. Raist was not accuratley displayed, i wanted dearly to see the part where he told caramon to fix him his drink, and i thought tass was a bit...undercooked. Overall i wished to see a live action dragonlance more than anything, but if you have to make it animated, make it believable as possible. Im praying for a new redone movie, with the same animation scheme and a longer track that shows more of rast and tass. -still a fan, just not of this movie.

P.S The scene when the friends were captured and threw all their weapons down, i would have liked to see rast have a fight over his staff. I believe he always did in the books.

Here comes the sun, everythings gonna be all right.
Go to Top of Page

gnomes
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  09:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I registered here just to put my 2cents worth on the film, though what I think of the film has been perfectly expressed by so many other posters on this thread.

Like most other posters, I read, re-read and loved the Dragonlance books and looked forward to the day when a movie would be made.

However, I was disappointed from the start when I realised the long-awaited movie was going to be animation (I had in my mind something like Peter Jackson's make of LOTR - or at the very least live-action/cgi - not some poxy second-rate cartoon), but in spite of this I kept a reasonably open mind and still had some hopes of it being good. The fact that it was going to be a bizarre blend of 2d/3d animation prompted me to rent before I bought, and I'm SO glad I didn't buy it as I was utterly apalled.

I wont go into great depth as to all the reasons why as they have already been properly and very well expressed by other posters and I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of them (ie animation was dreadful, storyline barely recognisable to the book, movie too short/rushed, characters had no depth and little resemblance to the books, etc etc). As other posters have said - the book was butchered. Absolutely butchered. What a let-down. I actually cannot believe how bad it was.

All I will say is that Dragonlance needs Peter Jackson (or someone with equal talent, love for the story, and the budget) to take up the challenge of turning it into the movie it deserves to be.

It would have been better to have been left alone and have no movie at all than to produce that utter load of crap. To the producers, if you can't afford to make it good, don't make it at all. All you've done is disgusted and let down a huge fan-base. To the authors, how could you let them do this to your wonderful books?

I will pretend that I never saw this atrocity, and will stick with the books. Maybe one day PJ will take up the challenge to do the job properly.
I will live in hope for that day.
Go to Top of Page

Shion
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  02:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SHAME ON YOU ALL! OK the movie is animated, is that a bad thing? there are other adaptations to books that are animated and are still great as movies i.e. The Hobbit, The Jungle Book, Watershipdown. Also another poster said that average length of movie was over two and a half hours. O.K. are you joking me? most are a little short of two hours and that is not animated.

Here is what I think.......A movie can never be as good as the book, try to nam one! you can't! I also remember when Wizards of the Coast thought about making a movie and all of us Dragonlance fans where upset that we didn't get the movi of Dragonlance.....well guess what we finally did. Forgoten Realms Sells more and makes Wizads mor the Dragonlance but yet We got a Movie! Shouldnt we be proud! Yes its not exactlly like the novel, yet no movie is. at least we have something to show ou you kids and hope that they like it enough to actually read the books.

No matter if you agree with me or not, I love beeing a fllow Draonlance fan with you all!

P.S. I can't spell. Sorry
Sincerely,
Shion
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  03:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I would say your post belongs in the Positive Review thread, but it's not even really a review, so it belongs in neither.

For once I'm stumped as to where this post belongs. Oh well it can stay I guess, but I would encourage more elaboration if you wish to be taken seriously.

Go to Top of Page

RobynRex
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the dialogue was pretty good I thought it was also rush and no character development. You would think that a series this popular they would make it better. I mean I didn't know it even exsisted until a friend of friend told me. I mean what was with the graphic, they had a sorta pretty good cast. Like they didn't even try that hard on animation. What were the authors thinking. If I was them I would demand it made like ti should should be. I think the authors and everyone involved in making this movie just lost it chance to make loads of money and future sales of book .Also this movie could make future fans of the book turn away and say, man if this movie is this bad I hate to read the book. But all this is wishful thinking because it is to late now. Oh well
Go to Top of Page

sarah
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  23:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessMiranth

Well, I guess splitting the review posts is a good idea. Should keep arguing to a minimum. I must admit my review was mixed. I was frightened however, that it being my first post, I was gonna get attacked from both ends. Everyone has been kind tho, so Thanks for the update!

Go to Top of Page

sarah
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  23:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tw_fester

Well, Dragon, if anything good came out the experience for you, it gave you the reason to love the books all over again

[8D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000