Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Gemsamay

Germany
970 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  01:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it interesting that I have not seen one post from many of you in any other thread but this one.. I guess anonymous bashing IS america's new favorite past-time. Not to belittle your opinions, but I didn't read any reviews by people I didn't know just because I don't have time to read 4 pages of reviews. So if I repeat, that's why.

I have been whining about people being too negative about this movie BEFORE it came out. But now that it has come out, I am more disappointed than I thought I would be!

The first thing that bothered me was the inconsistant sizes of Tas and Flint.
The "That knife was flints" joke may be one of the best/funniest lines in the whole series and they screwed it up!!!!
I don't know anything about movie budgets, but it seems to me that because they spent so much more money making the dragons and draconians 3-D, they cut out WAY too much story. 92 minutes!!! Are you freaking kidding me! The story became very choppy.. you could tell where things were cut out. I watched it with my fiance and my mother-in-law who both have never read a Dragonlance book. They were both simply watching it because it is something I love so much. But I could tell that they were lost and didn't like it.
In the scene where the companions meet up at the inn, I was suddenly watching a tits-and-ass movie! They made the relationship between Tika and Caramon perverted and raunchy. But maybe I am biased because Tika is my favorite character...
I agree with Vassor about Raistlin's spell casting. he just sort of blurted out gibberish. It should have sounded more like a melodic chant.
Certain details regarding character developement, that would have been quick and easy to include were left out. For example, not ONCE did they say that Caramon and Raistlin were twins. Brothers yes, but not twins. They did not explain the significance of the Solamnic Knights. They just sort of mentioned that Sturm was a knight. I actually came up with quick and easy lines that could have been added to explain things, off the top of my head. Kender-ness wasn't explained.
Qualinesti was awful. The city was not awe-inspiring, as it should have been. Qualinesti elves would not live in trees.
Elistan and Laurana are totally making out in the end. That is not cool. If my memory serves me correctly, she never actually had a romantic relationship with Elistan. They just talked about religion a lot and Tanis sort of made up a romance in his head out of jelousey. I have a crappy memory so if I am wrong on that point let me know.
The whole "unwavering faith" deal with Tanis in the end waws a little dumb. It became really cheesy and preachy. In the book, Tanis's faith wasn't even a strong theme of the story.
I also agree on the "why the hell was it PG13" point. No extra-crispy Riverwind=not that much violence. The goblins in the opening didn't even bleed.
Of course the animation sucked.. but I knew that going into the movie so I didn't care. The movie makers flat out said it was crappy.. the 3D rubbish should have been 2d. It actually made it look worse having it 3D.

I have only watched it once, and I plan to watch it many many times just because it is dragonlance and I like to pick apart movies. But that is all I have so far. I am glad I own it, just because I am a Dragonlance collector. But if it wasn't a series I was familiar with, I probably wouldn't like it.

Save the Earth, it's the only place with wine and chocolate!
Go to Top of Page

KenderSurprise
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LiveactionCaramon

For christmas one of the gifts I got my fiance was DoAT, because we are trying to be more involved with each others hobbies and likes and dislikes. The second I got home from work I went to Best Buy to get this movie thinking that it would rouse her into wanting to read the book (it laid unopened on the end table) and what I got was what most of you have been going on about.

I was introduced to Dragonlance by my husband (before we were married). I had never been deep into fantasy before, but he had about a billion fantasy paperbacks sitting around and he said the DL ones were good. But instead of picking up the Chronicles first I started reading the short stories. If you give her the short stories first (which take less commitment) and she likes them (which she will!) your fiance could be more likely to read on.

Edited by - KenderSurprise on 29 Jan 2008 18:21:12
Go to Top of Page

SmokedPears
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  15:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the Dragon Lance movie with great anticipation shortly after it came out. I wish I hadn't. I have never been so disappointed. It was terrible. A 12th grade AV student could have done a better job. The animation technology was horrid and I didn't get the different style for the draconians. As stated before by others, I thought the story was really choppy and I almost felt like I was watching it on fast forward. If you saw it without reading the book you wouldn’t understand half of it. I didn't care for the departures from the book either. I almost felt violated after watching it. I believe any hope of getting a real movie are now dead.
Go to Top of Page

Damname
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  19:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own my copy as any Dragonlance fan should EVEN if you hated it. I bought it with high hopes and to do my part to ensure a number 2. I did enjoy the movie i have to admit. I would be willing to buy part 2 or whatever it will be called. I cant wait to see the golden general.

I was all excited about the movie coming out. Hell, i actually talked it up on g4 tv and WoW forums for support. Then the magical Tuesday came around and i fled for WallyWorld for my copy. We plugged it in and began to watch. What follows is my review for this movie plus some opinions i have. If you do not like your movie being cut down read no further. Although this post will prolly get locked and deleted.

The first thing that stinks was the loud BVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTTT sound in the background of the flik. The sound came and went through the movie. I tried playing it on an xbox 360 and a playstation 2 and everytime there was that nasty sound. Took it to a friends house and i got the same thing.

The second thing i noticed was the screen flickering and jumping slightly. This led me to see the framerate issues this movie has.

Bad titty physics. Why have her boobs bouncing around for no reason when you could have accomplished the same thing by close ups on her face and his with blushing going on. Dont get me wrong guys i like it as much as you do but it simply doesnt fit.

Raistlin didnt hiss. Tas wasnt shrill. Not enough scenes to establish Tas was fearless, childlike with BIG emotions that made him funny. Goldmoons voice wasnt XENA enough as i have always pictured her. Fizbans voice didnt fit him nor was his scenes done right. Why redo the scene where he opens the wagon with a fireball? I noticed i didnt like Sturm in the movie. He just didnt remind me of the book version, so i ignored him. I guess i expected him to be more like the artwork of the books? Say, didnt Riverwind get melted by Onyx? Flint just didnt seem like Flint sorry. I didnt really care for any of the voice acting and could have benefited from no name talent.

I didnt see Skeletor in this film which i expected but i did see some look alikes. Animation was very bad. I know its been said thousands of times already but damn. Could it have turned out better if the producers held an internet contest to find an amature group of cartoonists? This should have been done in all cgi. For that matter it should have been done all live action with cgi. Maybe they could have saved enough money to do live action if they axed the high price voice talent. Think about that. You have a amature group in Germany i think that put out trailers all live and did a decent job! The bad animation was the first nail i think. I was expecting at least Scifi channel quality until i saw the trailer.

The movie was not long enough and the story was not faithful. You completely cut or skipped the Bupu scenes which was very memorable.

I think this movie fulfilled its own prophecy in terms of being viable. How many times has this movie been in talks or whatever? This movie is packed full of bad decisions. It would have turned out sooooo much better done live action with cgi and cheaply as possible without sacrificing quality. Big name actors do not make a movie at all imho, just beautiful people with moderate talent. I am not getting my hopes up for another movie. I dont think they will get another chance for a long while. If they do....then they need to do it right. No more He-man please. I am not holding my breath but i will check back from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

austerus
Starting Member

Romania
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  09:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roadstar1600

quote:
Originally posted by tektonikasian

eragon was a flop. golden compass was a flop. DoAT was a flop (sorry to say). one similarity...length. the only reason why LOTR worked was because it was 3hrs.

Well, the three hours helped but the reason it was so successful was the fact that $280 million was spent to make the trilogy. That's allowing $97 million per movie. Dragonlance's budget was $1.5 million, or 1.6% of one of the LOTR movies. One...point...six...percent.

It takes money to make a good fantasy or sci-fi movie. It just does. There's no way around it. But look what New Line Cinema got in return for their $280 million -- $2.91 billion in revenue. I believe that Dragonlance could do very well also, if budgeted correctly. The story is good, it just takes money to tell it.

It's true that the budget should have been bigger. Dragonlance actually has a story, unlike Eragon or Golden Compass, the former being just another copycat fantasy wannabe and the second is just stereotyped. If those two managed to hit a budget, how come Dragonlance with Paramount behind it couldn't?

Second, I don't agree with the length being the major factor. LOTR had a story that demanded that time. The others didn't. Time has nothing to do with it, a good story can be told in 5 minutes or 48 hours, as long as it's good. Stardust was a pleasant surprise, great production, great story. Suffered on the acting side a bit but with everything else going around it still was an immersive story. Sure enough, Dragonlance would probably require the same amount of time as LOTR.

Thirdly, the sum of the budget. Star Wars ep III had a little over 100 million, LOTR had nearly 300. But there are differences: LOTR had a lot of CGI and blending and was shot the "classic" way so to speak (also, it was shot on locations). Star Wars was shot on digital all the way and most of the action was shot in studio (don't bash, I'm talking production quality here, not acting, story, blah blah). I'm saying that about 150 million should have been enough for a great digital experience that would have included a theater release.

Go to Top of Page

Taipans
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  13:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I are huge DL fans and have been for a long time. I purchased the movie to support the DL franchise. I already knew what to expect by reading these forums in advance. So I didn't have high hopes, and I am very glad I didn't. Both myself and my non pre-warned wife couldn't stand the animation. The obvious as mentioned worse aspect was the mix of 3D/2D. It was so jarring that it destroyed any immersion into the movie you could build. That being said the animation is pretty close to mid 80s cartoons. And being that 20 years have passed in the world of animation I have no idea why this style was chosen. I understand they had a tight budget, but it doesn't take much to surpass the 80s style of cartoons.

Voice acting, I thought it was horrible. I am not a 24 fan so maybe that helped some with Raistlin. But nothing really seemed to fit.

The music was the one bright spot in this film.

Overall I am very upset and let down, we had to buy it and watch it just "because". But honestly If the quality bar isn't raised for the second I think it would be better to just give up the idea on this movie series.

Edited by - Taipans on 30 Jan 2008 13:24:39
Go to Top of Page

KenderSurprise
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  14:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Damname

The first thing that stinks was the loud BVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTTT sound in the background of the flik. The sound came and went through the movie. I tried playing it on an xbox 360 and a playstation 2 and everytime there was that nasty sound. Took it to a friends house and i got the same thing.

I get that sound almost every time I watch a movie through a video game console. Try it in an actual DVD player or through your computer and see if it goes away.
Go to Top of Page

Darius
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  00:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read allot in my life, i dont have the patience for it can't sit still i guess. DL probably comprises over 40% of everything ive read for leisure. When i first saw LOTR, besides the effects and all the hollywoodness of it, when i was done i wanted to read those books badly. Those movies made me laugh and cry allot. After watching this DL movie i did not do either, well beside laugh at the poor effects and hilarious attempt at blending the 3d animation with "he-man" cartooning. Maybe we all just had too high of hopes one might ask? I think not, the reader's know that no movie can beat a book, its impossible. do people that read the book first tend to be dissapointed in movie versions later? almost always, but taking all of that into consideration this movie really didnt cut it, because the movie just doesnt make someone want to read the books, any decent movie version of a good book should atleast stir enough interest in those that read books, even as lax as i do, to go out and read atleast a bit of it. Anyway there are a thousand other posts that all say what was wrong etc etc.

All i have to add is listen to what your customers want that is the key to making anything work in business and if they arent clear enough for ya take some pointers from your competitors and look at the industry to see what will be successful and what wont be. Those who made this movie obviously did not do either.
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  04:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it looks like there will be no chance of me picking up this DVD at a rental shop in Australia?

Oh well, lucky for me a friend "aquired" it- kender style.

So at least I can say I've seen it.

All I've got to add is what's the go with the Forest Master? I got the impression the director was embarrased to have a queer unicorn in the cartoon- you know like those bright, white faggy daggy unicorns seen in Legend that little girls squeal at.

And so how does the director solve this problem? Why wrap the thing up in ugly vines to make it more bad arse and monster hip and less like a unicorn.

Stupid movie.

Don't F*** with my truck!
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  21:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Toledo, Tonka posts again!

quote:
Originally posted by tonkatough

All I've got to add is what's the go with the Forest Master? I got the impression the director was embarrased to have a queer unicorn in the cartoon- you know like those bright, white faggy daggy unicorns seen in Legend that little girls squeal at.

And so how does the director solve this problem? Why wrap the thing up in ugly vines to make it more bad arse and monster hip and less like a unicorn.

Easy way to make a bad-arse unicorn--make it a Clydesdale.

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

Gemsamay

Germany
970 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  03:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonka, your posts always either make me laugh or make me shake my fist at the computer screen. This one made me laugh a lot, (I startled the dog,) so thank you! Hahaha I totally agree... My fiance's exact words were "if the unicorn is master of the forest, why is the forest trying to eat her???"

Save the Earth, it's the only place with wine and chocolate!
Go to Top of Page

Silvarra
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  03:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even know about this movie until I saw it on amazon, and I immediately bought it. I popped it in as soon as I got it, and I wish I hadn't. I was trying to get my boyfriend to read any of the books,and I've read every one that I could get my hands on. This movie was the WORST mistake ever made for Dragonlance fans everywhere, and I think now because of this POS there's no chance of ever getting my boyfriend to even look at the cover of the books anymore. I hope whoever decided to make the movie like this enjoys it, and rots in Hell for all eternity. It's deffinately getting burried somewhere and I will tell all my friends that love the books that if they see it for sale somewhere, to boycot it.

Don't even think about another movie unless it's with real people and someone that really knows something.
Go to Top of Page

raist415
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  02:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have the Japanese make the 2nd movie. They'd make a better Raistlin eye that that flat whatever the hell you call it eye on the first one. and they'd make them move and fight better. etc etc.
Go to Top of Page

Roadstar1600
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  05:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silvarra

I hope whoever decided to make the movie like this enjoys it, and rots in Hell for all eternity.

Well, that says it all.
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  06:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by Raist415

have the Japanese make the 2nd movie. They'd make a better Raistlin eye that that flat whatever the hell you call it eye on the first one. and they'd make them move and fight better. etc etc.

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more R415. and the real tragedy is that apparently a japanese animation studio actually put up their hand to animate this baby but then someone who harbours prejudice towards Jap Anime put their foot down and said "NO!"

Oh dang this is the negative thread so I better leave something negative about the movie.

Did anyone notice when Tanis has his big dramatic speech about faith or something profound camera zoom in close on his eyes to show the emotional depth Tanis display that the animators worked so hard to acheive.

So lame.

Don't F*** with my truck!

Edited by - tonkatough on 02 Feb 2008 06:26:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000