New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nanten
Starting Member

Russia
14 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  20:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thinck everybody agree to Raistlin is the most ambiguous and enigmatic character of DL. It might write essays on him like on Dostoevsky characters But there are something wich evokes my bewilderment...
While he returned from Abyss he said he lost his magic. But the thrut is it? Fraud and lies come easy to him...
Leaving Krynn with Paladine together, he uses magic, making his staff shine again (Dragons og Summer Flame). He uses his magic, helping to Gerard in the inn... (Dragons of a Vanished Moon) Yes, may be, that Paladine who gave him back his magic... May be. But!
It is known:

Gods made Mina drift into sleep for this godess might break Balance.
Rastlin was drifted into sleep, too...
Raistlin had his own "sanctuary" augmenting power magic things where young wizards asked his help for their Test.
After the Chaos Wor nothing prevented him remain in Krynn, with his family, but all gods were to go. Raistlin went.
Not Paladine, but Raistlin could find Krynn and restore torn time.
Dalamar said to Palin: "In a certain way, his sacrifice made him god nevertheless"...
Just neither Raistlin nor other gods talk of this, pretending all to remain as before.

Well, may be, Tanis, Caramon and Co went in the voyage with their own god?

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  21:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm totally surprised that DM has not posted something here... she so loves RAISTLIN...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-
Go to Top of Page

Nanten
Starting Member

Russia
14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2013 :  03:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea... But I hope to talk nevertheless
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2013 :  06:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed I do Fiz, he is my number one favorite mage character and always will be

As for him losing his magic he was telling the truth. In The Chaos War (Dragons of Summer Flame) he really had no magic left and had to resort to tricks instead of real magic at times and rely upon his famous wits. Raistlin left the world because by this time all of his friends were dead and the world just didnt have anything for him anymore. He was tired and wanted to be at peace and with his brother again. He uses magic a to do small things like you mentioned only because the gods granted it back for a little while because they needed him. And do you really think that gods would admit in the end that in a way Raistlin got just what he wanted? lol

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

Nanten
Starting Member

Russia
14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2013 :  10:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dark mage

Indeed I do Fiz, he is my number one favorite mage character and always will be

As for him losing his magic he was telling the truth. In The Chaos War (Dragons of Summer Flame) he really had no magic left and had to resort to tricks instead of real magic at times and rely upon his famous wits. Raistlin left the world because by this time all of his friends were dead and the world just didnt have anything for him anymore. He was tired and wanted to be at peace and with his brother again. He uses magic a to do small things like you mentioned only because the gods granted it back for a little while because they needed him. And do you really think that gods would admit in the end that in a way Raistlin got just what he wanted? lol

In a way One of gods of magic. Things that you say are evident, but there are hints that have made me hasitate. Not all of his friends died, his brather, Palin, Tika were alive. But he went.
His wits... His trick in the forest, for example. When did he have time to make himself up? As they walked across the field, Raistlin had no make-up. And that hollow which successfully found in the tree! By pure accident? May be. Or may be - no.
Say me, who closed The Portal in Abyss? Darck Queen? Really??? Do you think so? The white light flared, Raistlin lifted his hand and said... no metter he said. ))) Palin and Tas were nearly. Why would they know?
Yes, Raistlin carried no longer magic books and bags with magic components. And why? In Abyss all spells were engraved on his memory forever. (Test of the Twins) As for magic ingridients... Raistlin like Fistandantilus made the first-rate magic! )))) As poor Fistandantilus promised ))) (Dragons of the Hourglass Mage).
In the end Raistlin veeeeryyyy lowly stood among the gods of magic... Very lowly. Not accentuading. Gods would not admit his new status (that did not prevent Sargonnas to fear that Raistlin came on their council to finish them off). (Dragons of a Vanished Moon). But Raistlin said about "you to hell, I want to go with my brather".
May be, in Dragons of Summer Flame he could use his magic, but had no right according laws of magic gods?
Hints, hints, hints... under the veil of evidence. It teases...

Edited by - Nanten on 26 May 2013 11:07:01
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2013 :  23:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Chaos war Carmon, Tika and Palin were alive yes but he was supposed to be dead, he didn't belong in the world anymore and he didn't want to have to depend upon them without his magic. As for the trick in the forest if you re read the book he explains all of that and finding a hollow in a tree was luck. Palin and Tas were there so of course they saw what happened and in the Abyss there are no rules, Raistlin got his magic back because the gods decided to save his ass. In Summer Flame he really had no magic and was in his lowest state. Why did he leave anyway at the end of the War of the Souls?
"So your friends have forgiven you?"
"Say rather that I have forgiven them and Palin does not need me"

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

Nanten
Starting Member

Russia
14 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  04:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the Chaos war Carmon, Tika and Palin were alive yes but he was supposed to be dead, he didn't belong in the world anymore and he didn't want to have to depend upon them without his magic.

Yes, he didn't belong in the world anymore, he was said it to Palin, and added that he can't directly have action but per them only. Dugan (Reorx) too, it's interesting According of gods law of free will.
And do you agree that there ware strange ties between him and Palin by means of his staff?

quote:
As for the trick in the forest if you re read the book he explains all of that and finding a hollow in a tree was luck.

Of coooours And else he was exlaing to Caramon once he sent Tasselhoff back in the future.

quote:
Palin and Tas were there so of course they saw what happened and in the Abyss there are no rules,

Yes, quite right.

quote:
Raistlin got his magic back because the gods decided to save his ass.

At first, he found Tas and THEN he came to gods so as to submit his further activities to their approval. Even if he really had no magic in Summer Flame on our plane of existence, on other planes he had it. And at the end he use magic on our plane too. Or Paladine gave him back for help in the Chaos war, or Raistlin hadn't in the least it lost...

quote:
In Summer Flame he really had no magic and was in his lowest state. Why did he leave anyway at the end of the War of the Souls?
"So your friends have forgiven you?"
"Say rather that I have forgiven them and Palin does not need me"

Yes, because even if he had power (of the god or the magus) he was tired of play of power and went be with his brather and friends. He understood much.

Do you know, reading first time, I thought the same way as you. He had no magic etc... And then, rereading, I noted these little niceties and begane to reflect on it.
I don't assert I right 100%, no I mean just it may be explain his doing thus. Try youself reread supposing this viewpoint, and you will see youself... may be.

Edited by - Nanten on 28 May 2013 04:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Urgthock
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  22:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Sorry to necro such an old post but I happened across this website today and saw so many posts from years back in regard to the character Raistlin. I figured it was better to post in response to this thread than one from 2005.

I read quite a few posts in quite a few threads about Raistlin and even though a lot of information (both correct and incorrect) was posted, I never once saw anyone mention the one book that I thought really gave a lot of information about the creation of the Raistlin character; The Soulforge.

No wait, I am not talking about the book written by Margaret Weis in 1999.

http://www.amazon.com/Soulforge-Dragonlance-Raistlin-Caramon-Majere/dp/0786913142

Noooo. I mean the Choose Your Own Adventure book written by Terry Phillips in 1985. I remember buying this book in the 6th grade at a school book fair. It was AWESOME and truly sparked my love for D&D and fantasy in general. Anyone who loves Raistlin Majere should definitely locate a copy of this book. It's amazing how FEW people know about this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Soulforge-Advanced-Dungeons-Adventure-Gamebook/dp/0880382546

Also, pick up one of the dragonlance campaign setting books. It has SO much information on all the characters from the series and again; it was released in 1987 and therefore stayed true to the spirit of the characters before all this WotC nonsense with 15th edition rule sets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141056612875?lpid=82
Go to Top of Page

HammerFall

863 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  03:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like one of the best rpers here in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000