Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

oldfan

80 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  15:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sirch

Some people just don't like anime. I don't understand why some people can't understand this. Showing them the best anime in the world isn't going to make most people like the style anymore.

That said this isn't a topic about anime. If you wanna talk about it open a topic in the film forum.

I don't think it's so much a problem of liking anime - everyone likes a different style. It's just that Woggie stated he/she was unable to find any anime geared towards adults out there.

Although, with all this talk about an anime version of DL, I think the most interesting link was probably the one I posted about a direct to DVD Batman movie outsourced to an anime director and studio in an Japan by the US.

Go to Top of Page

Arakais
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  18:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. Well. Well. I am 31 years old. I have read just about every Dragonlance book there is. This "movie", "cartoon", "crap", or whatever you want to call it was just about the worst thing I have ever seen. I am sure that all of us who were wishing for a live action movie were abit dissappointed about the fact that it was animated but........there was abit of hope. Then I watched the movie that was released. What the hell were Weis and Hickman thinking about when they gave the go ahead for this!?!?!?! Do they have any idea that this movie will and has destroyed any hope that future fans will ever have for a real dedicated movie?

It makes me sick to think that I have enjoyed these books so much to finally realize that the only reason why this movie was made was for money. As always they take something that people love, twist it, hype it up, then screw it up and market it as the best thing ever just to make a buck. How much did it cost to make this crap? 2 bucks a cd I bet.

Needless to say I would not be surprized if Weis and Hickman started recieveing hate mail for this abomination.

Yea I am angry
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  19:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The authors did not own the rights to the movie, and therefore had no say in who got to be involved in the movie.

They were lucky to have some input into the plot, or it may not have resembled Dragonlance at all.

Before arguing with a moderator, look here: http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/forum/go/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74
Go to Top of Page

Hemish
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2008 :  01:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been more dissapointed in a movie in my life.
I also grew up with this series and wanted so dearly for this to be good.
Right from the start when the old man didnt start rearranging the furniture and started telling a story I knew something was wrong.
Everything about this was awefull, I really think the whole 2d/3d thing was the worst idea ever.
The real flames meshed into the scenes were laughable, I mean South Park does it better.
The battles were just crap, you could tell the people doing this didnt know the material or if they did just didnt care, anyone who knew and loved this stuff would not have treated it the way it was.
I do hope they make a second movie, just drop the 'big name' name actors who couldnt give a rats and get some new blood in there and use the money on the animation, scrap the cg and put it all back into the 2d stuff.
I've never been so upset about a flick before, This was taking a memory of mine that was awesome and just destroying it.
Shame on these guys for releasing a half arsed product.

Tasslehoff , its not just a name !!!
Go to Top of Page

Anaesthesia
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2008 :  13:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally posted this on another forum, but I think it would benefit being posted here, as well. I did manage to bring myself to watch Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I would have prefered that they choose either 2d-animation or 3d, and not combined the two together (was it just my dvd player or did everyone else notice that it was very stiffly animated?). It felt like Hannah-Barbara and Rankin-Bass got together and had a child, which is Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I did not find most of the actors very believable nor felt that they believed what they were saying in character. That said, I did find 21 consistancy errors, (from a Techincal standpoint, it felt like the Director and the Editor both fell asleep the first 5 minutes of it and overlooked every error). The majority of the errors were items the party were carrying.

The inconsistancies as follows:
1.When Tas, Tanis and Flint are looking at the inn from the outside, you see their backs. Notice Tas does not have anything in his belt in this view. You see them approach the others, which Tas has his back to the camera. Tas has a Sword (dagger?) in his belt. In the next shot, you see Tas talking to Flint. The sword is not there any longer.

2.Tika comes over to the table and hands Tanis the scroll case with Kitiana's letter in it. Notice she moves her hand (with the scroll case) towards the center of the table. Tanis follows her hand foward to the center of the table. It would make more sense if Tanis moved his upper body around to take the scroll case from Tika.

3.When the High Theocrat is threatening Goldmoon, and the others come to her aid, Tanis seems to be either talking to Sturm (next to him) or outloud to himself. His next line, "Sturm, there is a lady to protect," he swings around (rather than turning his head) and looks toward Flint. Flint also appears to swing his head around to look at Tanis.

4."We can stop here for a moment before we turn that bend" the view of Tas (from back) the sword is not there. The Flint's next line, "For the record, I could keep going," Tas's sword reappears in his belt. When Tas goes off singing to scout, the sword disappears.

5.When Tas pulls Sturm's sword out of the stone Draconian, and falls on his rear end, his hoopak is attached to his belt. When he runs over to the Party ("There are more of those lizardy things"), Tas is holding what appears to be Sturm's sword. Then there is a cut scene to the Draconians, then back to the party, it appears the sword had shrunk/new sword entirely. Then when they run into Darken Wood, Tas no longer has a sword in hand(whatever form), he is holding his hoopak.

6.When they go into the Unicorn's scene (this character may or may not have a name, it's a long time since I've read the book), and the party is sitting at the table. The Unicorn says the line "Come to me, bearer of the Blue Crystal Staff." Notice that Goldmoon rises on "bearer."

7.When Tanis approaches the Unicorn (Goldmoon is already there), his Quiver and Bow are on his left shoulder. When the camera moves to show the Unicorn's view of them (on the line "Disks of Mishakal?"), the Quiver and Bow moved to his right shoulder. It is on the right shoulder when Raistlin approches.

8.When the party lands in the Plains of Abanasinia (the Pegasus are leaving), Tas's sword reappears.

9.When the party is running into the destroyed village, Tas's sword disappears (the sword is on him from the Plains, until here)

10.On Tanis's line to exit the collapsing building (via the secret passage), Tas does not have the sword, but on Tanis's next line "Riverwind!" you can see it has reappeared.

11.On Tas's line "Why can't you do that all-powerful mage?" Tas turns towards Raistlin and you can see the sword has returned to his belt, unsheathed. At the end of Raistlin's reply ("You dolt"), in the wide shot, the sword is not there.

(When made prisoner, the group is forced to give up weapons/belongings. Notice how many times Tas and Tanis have either the bags, weapon(sword) or a hilt)

12.How come the majority of the time they are in the prisoner caravan, Tas looks small enough to pass through the bars?

13. Tas's bags reappear while in this caravan, Fizban also has his bags. Tas has his bags until he mentions that they took his tools, so they could not get out. Tanis has a hilt/strap to hold his Quiver to his back on most of this scene.

14.Right after Goldmoon attempts to heal Brinna, the camera pans to view the party. You can see one of Tas's bags and the strap leading to the other. Note how the bag you can see does not have a strap drawn.

15.When the Caravan topples, as Tanis falls, you can see he has a sword in his hilt as he passes by. When he exits the caravan, it is not there.

16.On "This is our chance to escape." Tas's bags/equipment dissapear, and reappears on "Why didn't you do that before?"

17.When the party approaches wagon with their items, Tanis's bow, Flint's Dagger, and Raistlin's staff are all visible. When the camera pans the party seconds later, Tanis does not have his Quiver and Bow (or at least his bow), then both reappears when you see the rear view of the party and the Draconians approaching the party.

18.When following the Elves into their city, Tanis has his bow and Quiver at the beginning of this, and when he Walks with Riverwind (rear view) neither are there. When Riverwind and Tanis start talking, there is a series of disappearances and reappearances of the Quiver and Bow.

19.Going to the secret door to rescue the slaves/prisoners, Tas's sword is in his belt, sheathed. It reappears when he is talking to Fizban (casting Fireball), when he turns quickly, (Telling everyone to duck), it disappears.

20. On Verminaard's "Then you will die" Note where his morningstar ends-through him! He moves it from hand to hand, the bottom goes through him, as well as one of his hands.

21. Tas's sword appears when he comes out of the shaft, then disappears when the shaft collapses with Fizban in it.

I think I rate it a 4.5, not very great, and not particulary horrible (if you forget all your fond DL memories). I thought the dialogue in most cases didn't do the story or DL for that matter justice. The characters didn't (for the most part) remind me of the ones I've read of in DL. This is one time I'd say they could have made it more epic-movie-ish (like star wars or lotr), and not try to pass it off as some cheesy overly kid-friendly movie. ILM/Lucasfilms would have made a better movie. The movie makes me think that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are cringing right now because someone screwed up their book. Last words to the makers of the movie: Focus, you morons!

Edited by - Anaesthesia on 24 Feb 2008 13:21:48
Go to Top of Page

jenna
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  13:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just seen the film after months (possibly years??) of anticipation. And my verdict is NO NO NO!! It was so wrong in so many ways - animation, character voices, storyline changes. I knew that things would need to be cut to make the story into a workable film, but they got things wrong even with the stuff they kept in. My husband reckons I am disapointed because I had too high expectations and that I have been a dragonlance fan for years, so it was bound to be less than i hoped it would be.
Go to Top of Page

JupiterPrime

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  16:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - what an utter disappoint on every possible level that could be imagined on this project which we all dreamed about, since getting through the very first book in the saga.

I had totally forgotten about this project and jumped with glee when I saw it at my local rental house. I got it home and immediately put it in.....and wasn't able to remain awake through the whole thing. I kept falling in and out of sleep during rushed scenes. How bad is that?!?

I can find not one single solitary redeeming quality for this total waste of 92 minutes of my life, that I can never get back. On the animation, wasnt it being done by some indian company when it was being discussed long ago? and how a few people stated that because of that company that we should have a decent release? If that indian company did actually do it, then all I have to say is cheap crap in, cheap crap out.

Regardless of whichever company produced the animation, they should be kicked out of the business and never used again for anything. Companies producing children's education cartoons make better material than what was endeavored here.

They should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves, and this goes for virtually every department having anything to do with this horrible production.
Go to Top of Page

LadyDreaFae
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  13:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautifully written!

And might I be so bold to add: crap-wrapped and crap-smelling and maybe even crap-tasting? Mmmm?

-=A=-
Go to Top of Page

Gerard uth Mondar
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2008 :  18:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but this movie was terrible

Sorry but im just going to pick this movie apart, and i have a quick question at the end if anyone can answer it.

I've been reading the books for about 5 years now and aboslutely LOVE the story line, even DOSF and the War of Souls (btw are Weis and Hickman going to pickup where they left off because that story was left WAY open) anyways. The DOAT movie was pathetic, Michael Rosenbaum was TERRIBLE, Im sure i can speak for most of us when i say none of us imagined tanis sounding like some girly emotionless 17-year old twit.

Lucy Lawless just made things worse, can somebody say OVERACTOR, she tries too hard, she couldnt have done the role worse, and IF she could, i would expect the movies to burn in thier cases.

The actor portraying Tasslehoff was one of the worst, he sounded too dry and not curious enough, he sounded nothing like a kender and the writers didnt help.

They completely left out the Golden General except for like two lines so what the hell?

They left out Fizvan's arguing with a tree, the whicker dragon, Tas's trip with Fizban into Pax Tharkas and almost being killed by Pyros.

Flint didnt look like Flint at all, look at the cover for the newer copys of DAOT, flint isnt nearly as tall as they make him, and his axe is so tiny in the movie it mite as well be a hatchet. in every book flint is in he weilds a BattleAxe, not a hatchet or a sword like in the movie, and he sounded like he was deaf and dumb from the start.

Sturm's voice was...decent maybe poor at best, they cut out the chapter with the white stagg where you learn a little bit about Huma's story.

Tika was voiced by the twirp who played Don in buffy the vampire slayer, she sounded too young for her charecter.and can you say BOOBS, they put WAY too much time into making those damn things jiggle.

The fighting was like something out of a cross between compic books and that old Zelda cartoon from the 80's. Hell even that had better animation and voicing.

The music was GREAT, best part of the movie.

Verminnard...he wore a towel....the dragon armor didnt look like they described in the books, espeically the helm.

I was expecting Riverwind to be hit with acid but Onyx didnt even appear... and Fistandantilus's spellbook looked nothing like it was described, and BUpu didnt give Raist the lizard.

The Gemstone man is gone. Now why will Kitiara attack the companions in the Bood Sea of Istar when theres no Gemstone man and at that point in the book she was furious with Tanis.

They revealed kitiara WAY too early, that was the surpise at the end of dragons of winter night, when Tanis is almost captured in flotsam

And they REALLY F*cked up with revealing Fizban as Paladine, that just pissed me off.

Also they dont tell you about Solinari Lunitari or Nuitari

Raist(or rather Fistandantilus) didnt explain the creation of the dragon orbs in the cave scene after the companions flee Solace.

Everyone moved clumbsily and the screenplay was so choppy, and Tanis's eyes in the beggining when he talks about the Seekers, i've seen southpark episodes and Flash cartoons with better animation.

They left out Kith-Kanan and his sword Wrymslayer being given to Tanis in the caves outside Pax-Tharkas, and that slug thing (when laurana joins the companions)

Gilthanas never talks about how Verminnard rode in on Pyros and slaughtered the elves in Solace

( by the way, i read the chronicles, legends,Dragons Of Summer Flame, and the War of Souls and found no trace of what happens to Silvara and Gilthas, sure they mention his demise but HOW DOES HE DIE AND WHAT HAPPENS TO SILVARA?)

A kender Trail song "Your one true loves a sailing ship that anchors at our pier.We lift her sails,we man her decks, We scrup her portholes clear;

And yes, our lighthouse shines for her, and yes our shores are warm, We steer her into harbor- any port in a storm.

The sailors stand upon the decks,the sailors stand in line, as thirsty as a dwarf for gold or centaurs for cheap wine.

For all the sailors love her, and flock to where shes moored each man hoping he mite go down all hands on board."
Go to Top of Page

Luminora
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2008 :  04:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is worse than the D&D movies. I'm not sure I could be any more disappointed. With one of the writers involved I was secretly hoping this would be better than my suspicions were telling me.

I have such a strong link to the Chronicles as do many fans, I'm so ashamed of this movie and completely and absolutely feel let down by this trash.

Oh and way to go to destroy character of Raistlin and what the h*ll....well I could just go on, from the scenery being not at all what you would expect to the horrid animation and the NEAR COMPLETE butchering of the plot I will from now discourage fans of the books from seeing this film it is nigh on devistating.

A question begs though - DID THE SCRIPT WRITERS ACTUALLY READ THE DAMNED BOOKS OR JUST THE BLURBS ON THE BACK OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Go to Top of Page

Gerard uth Mondar
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  21:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I highly doubt they read the books at all, they probably just read the blurbs and did ALOT of guess work to fill in with any "spark notes" they may have been using because, I finally made my parents watch the movie and they said"....uhhh what the h*ll was that about?"

A kender Trail song "Your one true loves a sailing ship that anchors at our pier.We lift her sails,we man her decks, We scrup her portholes clear;

And yes, our lighthouse shines for her, and yes our shores are warm, We steer her into harbor- any port in a storm.

The sailors stand upon the decks,the sailors stand in line, as thirsty as a dwarf for gold or centaurs for cheap wine.

For all the sailors love her, and flock to where shes moored each man hoping he mite go down all hands on board."
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  01:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that I found most painful about this movie (even more so than the animation and voice acting) was the juvenile handling of the mature content. It's like the production team was saying, "LOOK! We are a making a MATURE cartoon. HER BOOBS are BOUNCING independently of her BODY. WE are so MATURE. LOOK, WE'LL EVEN SHOW HER BUTT MOVING FROM SIDE TO SIDE. We'll introduce every pretty female character with a BOOB SHOT. Isn't that MATURE of us? And we have so much VIOLENCE! VIOLENCE is very MATURE. LOOK! We bashed STURM in the HEAD. He now has a CUT in his HEAD. We will make BLOOD SPEW out of it even though it's just a little cut, because BLOOD is VIOLENT and VIOLENCE is MATURE. We'll make BLOOD come out of his NOSE. TWICE!" and so on.

Even the series Hellsing came off as more mature than this, because at least it knows that the whole thing is ridiculous.

Right after this, my friend and I watched the movie Felidae. It's an animated mystery about a string of sexual murders. The gore and sex is well-integrated, well-drawn, and treated seriously rather than as some sort of attempt for credibility. And the characters are cute kitty cats.

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.

Edited by - MrStatesTheObvious on 24 Mar 2008 01:35:33
Go to Top of Page

Gerard uth Mondar
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  00:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol you know i dont think anyone would have said anything about that, good show there man, good show

Go to Top of Page

automatic
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  09:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has MW or TH commented about this movie yet. If so where can I find it?
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  12:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by automatic

Has MW or TH commented about this movie yet. If so where can I find it?

Tracy Hickman released a review of the movie by his dragonhearth podcast. I don't remember which episode but you can find it here somewhere.

-----
“I with Homer and Fill. We special KGB group, me and Homey and Fill. We have European style, jump in and everybody shoot. Ask later, who still alive."
-Pavel Datsyuk

If you have a problem with a user send me an email in my profile.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000