Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Carlin

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  23:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jaquen is in the Citidel, in the guise of Pate whom he killed in the prologue for a Feast for Crows. My thoughts are he went from Harrenhal to Bravos and then back to Oldtown for whatever purposes he has now undertaken disguised as a novice for the Order of Maesters...a novice with a key to the entire Citadel!
My proof for that is in the discription of the 'alchemist' given in the prologue matches the discription of what Jacquen changed into in front of Arya. So he's in Oldtown and doesn't look to be heading out anywhere anytime soon, as Pate is still in residence on the Isle of Ravens with Marwyn at the end of a Feast for Crows.

A crow with a bit of seaweed on his shoulder...that is a bit cryptic perhaps for someone who used to be an ironman who was forced to take the black? Interesting.
I agree about the ironmen storyline...but I've yet to warm to it. Being female, it is only Asha (being a bit of a kick arse kinda gal) that interests me thus far.
I will admit that yes, it was a bit convenient for the Crow's Eye to appear so soon after the death of his brother, but isn't it possible that the old bugger just slipped and fell (enabling a much more interesting storyline to be employed)?

Fascinating.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  10:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So maybe not H'gar, unless he travels quickly. But it is possible that the well traveled Euron could have hired a different Faceless Man to kill Balon. He has every motive to remove Balon and claim the kingship for himself. He has news about the return of the dragons. He knows of Dany and her claim. All he needs is the backing of his people and Victarion's ships.

If Balon slipped and fell, I don't think that the dwarf woman would have alluded to it when she describes her "dreams". She describes "a man without a face" waiting on a bridge. Balon wouldn't be waiting on a bridge, he would be travling across it. Who else would be waiting other than his killer?

"HGH. It works everytime."
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  12:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He could have simply slipped and fell but you always have to consider that something else was at play there. Euron did come back at a convenient time and he did come from the Bravos, it is entirely possible that he hired a faceless man to kill Balon.

The crow bit makes me think it is someone from the wall but I don't think it really fits.

-----
If you have a problem with a user send me an email in my profile.
Go to Top of Page

Carlin

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  22:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The faceless men seem to have enough number and also seem to be in the process of infiltrating everything that is going on throughout the world. It could well be that it was a faceless man...who was ironborn...who also used to be a crow...it's limitless. As they change appearance at will, it is quite possible that faceless men hold positions of power across Martin's world.
Any thoughts that Varys is in fact one of their ilk? It has been greatly described how his disguises were almost foolproof, and also, how strange he should vanish so completely...or has he simply changed his guise?
The order of the many faced god are an interesting lot, with fingers in a lot of pies so to speak, and one that may prove to be the salvation of Westeros.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  13:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the killer is a former Man of the Watch. Euron is called the "Crow's Eye". The drowned crow on the shoulder of the "man without a face" probably represents Euron, which leads me to suspect that he in fact hired the assassin. Although I don't understand the "drowned" part. Euron is not very religious, at least according to Aeron, so to call him "drowned" doesn't make much sense. Don't they call their septons "drowned men"?

Vary's as a Faceless Man is an interesting thought. I'm not sure if Faceless Men can change their body appearance. If they can't, then that would explain why Vary's can change his facial appearance and not his obesity.

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 21 Feb 2008 13:48:03
Go to Top of Page

Carlin

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2008 :  01:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps, since the dead seem to be able to walk (Beric, Lady Catelyn) it is someone the Ironborn believe to be gone from the earth? I believe it is a faceless man, and the crow and seaweed reference is a hint to his birth and background.
Are we sure Varys is truly obese? It is mentioned that he is rather nimble, and if he's always draped in robes and flowing fabrics it could be quite easy to disguise one's body shape. He only showed a select few that he could change his appearance...but again, he only showed them as much as he wanted to. I don't believe it's the last we'll see of the Master of Whispers.
Anyone have any thoughts as to why Margery Tyrell was requesting moon tea?
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2008 :  11:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Arya spies the two conspirators (GRRM has indicated that they are in fact, Varys and Magister Illyrio sp?) in the Red Keep before Ned is killed, she describes them both as being fat, yet one had a scar and seemed "somewhat familiar" (Varys in disguise). The other had an accent and many rings on his hand (Magister Illyrio). Somewhere else it's stated that eunuchs are prone to be overweight because gluttony is one of the only vices left for them. Strong Belwas is fat. The only exception are the Unsullied, but they hardly count.

As far as Margie and her moon tea, I'm not sure. It could have been a rouse conspired by Cersei to defame the new Queen's reputation. Maybe Renly did indeed consumate their brief marriage by impregnating her outright and then she decided to abort it. Or, maybe Loras' is the daddy and she tried to cover up the scandal by aborting it.

EDIT I was going to post another comment, but I figured I'd just edit this one. What do you guys think about The Hound being healed and becoming a monk? There's some speculation that he's turned religious to atone for his sins.

Here's the theory: The Hound lays dying after Arya leaves him. A Septon finds him and heals him. He finds out that all the Hound was living for was to murder his brother, which has since be taken from him. So the Septon heals him and the Hound turns to a life of silence and becomes a novice at the sept. He is, quite possibly, the lame/wounded gravedigger that is "bigger than Brienne" who scratches Dog behind the ear when he approaches him.

Read the passage in Crows again when Brienne and co. go the Island Sept. Watch for certain clues and allusions that the head Septon makes to Brienne that the Hound is indeed dead, but that Sandor Clegane is alive.

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 06 Mar 2008 19:10:42
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  13:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny that you mention it. On the last read through I was thinking, hoping really, that Sandor Clegane didn't actually die but he had just cast off the persona of the Hound and moved on. I hadn't thought of him becoming a septon and didn't relate the gravedigger to him, good pick up. I'm going to be rereading the books again and that will be one thing I'll be sure to pay attention to.

I notice each time I read these books I begin to like characters I never payed attention to before. I used to find Davos boring and didn't pay close enough attention to his chapters (I admit I skimmed some of them ) but on another read through I played close attention and really started to be interested in him and his character.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  20:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the same why about the Aeron and Victarion chapters in Crows the first time through, and now I find them the most interesting . And also, though I hate to admit it, I disliked the Samwell chapters. I thought he was lame, but I'm liking him more now.

I am excited about Aero Hotah and I hope that Martin writes more chapters from his perspective. He seems so bad ass.

Here's a question. Which non-chapter based character(s)is/are your favorite(s)?
Mine are, in no order:
Ser Barristan Selmy
Sandor Clegane
Dolorous Edd

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2008 :  01:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they count if they are dead?

Robb Stark - I just think he's a good character. He's very intelligent but flawed by the ignorance of youth.
Sandor Clegane - I think Sandor is a great flawed character.
Bronn - I like his black humor. Kind of interesting seeing scum rise up through society.
Mance Rayder - We only saw him shortly but I liked his character a lot.

Off the top of my mind. Selmy can go in there too.

I'll admit, I don't like Samwell very much either. I suppose a perspective character had to be chosen and it had to be him, but, I find him to be a overly cautious whiny pussy. I guess his character is designed that way so I always do my best to read through his parts.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bronn is too cool.
The Hound is a good one too.
Really like the Red Viper 'Oberyn Martell' though. Was really hoping he would have won that duel.

I must have forgotten my Productivity enhancers.
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  12:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Dance has a cover now apparently. I can feel the release getting closer.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  21:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and Martin finally finished a Bran chapter that he's been working on for like 5 years or something. My fingers are definitely crossed for a Fall release.

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  16:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Sandor Clegane, I thought an answer that Martin gave to a fan about him and Sansa was interesting.

Q: -Will Sandor and Sansa meet again in the future?

A: Why, the Hound is dead, and Sansa may be dead as well. There's only Alayne Stone.

I'm probably looking into an answer to a question too deeply but perhaps the Hound is dead in the same way that Sansa is dead.

-----
“I with Homer and Fill. We special KGB group, me and Homey and Fill. We have European style, jump in and everybody shoot. Ask later, who still alive."
-Pavel Datsyuk

Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  18:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point. And that would parallel exactly what the septon is trying to tell Brienne in AFOC.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000