Other Weis or Hickman books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  01:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just recently branched out of the DL franchise to read some of the other work they've done. So far I've only read Dark Heart (Book 1 of the Dragon's Disciple) and Mystic Warrior (Bronze Canticles). Dark Heart I really enjoyed, it was very unlike DL (so many characters cussing, oh my! ) and the ending was really unexpected, will be looking forward to picking up the following book. Mystic Warrior was interesting and entertaining, but I'm not too keen on jumping back in to finish the series just yet.

Haven't read any of Death Gate or Dragonships (or any of the other books...)

So, which ones do you like/recommend?

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  01:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been 15 years since I read it, but the first book of Death Gate Cycle was pretty good.

It was the only one at the library and back then I didn't have a job to buy books.

Maybe I'll pick more up sometime.

Before arguing with a moderator, look here: http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/forum/go/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  10:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the death gate cycle and enjoyed it. A buddy of mine enjoyed it until... Hugh the Hand was killed. He was my buddy's fav character and then got pissed off and stopped reading. When I told him that Hugh came back, he said it was too late...ah, well, his loss. Overall a compelling story that made me happy to buy and finish reading it.

I found that W&H have a desire to have the worlds that they write about always have a cataclysmic change by the end. It can be good (as a general story, I am not talking specific to DG). But if every story is like that, the freshness loses it's sparkle. Like fresh baked bread after a couple of days, still good but not as great the first time it comes out of the oven.

I also have Rose of the Prophet. Quite good , even if the religious themes seem a bit thick. Similar (a bit) with Forgotten Realms, the Avatar Trilogy.

Darksword was ok... Started really intriguing and energetic, however, another cataclysmic ending and I am not sure about the appearance of...the aliens or what ever they were

Star of the Guardians (Margaret Weis)... I enjoyed and want to re-read them as it has been 10 years since I read them to see if they were as good as I recall.

Cause Rippy the 'gator went chomp, chomp, chomp.
Rippy the Gator went chomp, chomp, chomp
Passin the time by ending children's lives.
Down in the bottom of the swamp, swamp, swamp.

Rippy the Gator - Arrogant worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.

Edited by - tw_fester on 09 Feb 2008 11:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Tas kender hero

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  10:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved the death gate cycle the first fifth and seventh are my fav's but i like them all. I love Haplo!!

FORGET PALADINE

Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  15:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in picking up Rose of the Prophet. Sounds like fun.

But something shocked me...There's no sequel to the Dragon's Disciple?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

cogknackthedistillerator
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  23:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Death Gate Cycle was great. The last 3 novels were no where near as good as the first few but its still a good series. Margaret Weis's Star of the Guardians series was a pretty good sci fi series.
Go to Top of Page

Gerard uth Mondar
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  13:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than the Dragonlance novels, i've read the Darksword Trilogy. I found it ok, it didnt have the same feel as dragonlance though, no true shocking twists and turns. Magic dosent have the same pizaz it did in dragonlance, but generaly i think the trilogy was very tastefully done.

A kender Trail song "Your one true loves a sailing ship that anchors at our pier.We lift her sails,we man her decks, We scrup her portholes clear;

And yes, our lighthouse shines for her, and yes our shores are warm, We steer her into harbor- any port in a storm.

The sailors stand upon the decks,the sailors stand in line, as thirsty as a dwarf for gold or centaurs for cheap wine.

For all the sailors love her, and flock to where shes moored each man hoping he mite go down all hands on board."
Go to Top of Page

NinjaMaster 42
Advanced Member

USA
3303 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  22:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest the Dragonvarld triolgy. Margaret Weis is the sole author. It follows the classic style of Dragonlance too. a great triolgy i suggest it to all Dragonlance fans.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas My Honor is my Life
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  23:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Margret and her daughter Lizz wrote a Romance novle together called Warrior Angel. Pretty damn good. The main character Derek was a member of the Knights Templar. When the order fell into disgrase he was captured by the Inquisitors and tourtured to death. When he arrived at the gates of heaven he felt betrayed by god because he had been a good man and done nothing wrong exept follow orders so he was sent to pergetory to battle the Dark Angels of Hell. He's sent to earth to find and protect a woman named Rachel who has been targeted by a very powerful and dangerous deamon who whants to use her to bring about Armagedon. And since its a Romance novel u can guess what happens between Derek and Rachel

Anywho for a mother and daughter first novel it was, as previously stated, pretty damn good

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people-"V"

I think your mother tells you stories to fool you into falling asleep so that she and your father can have three miesly miniuts alone with out your insesent commands. She took my toy, he hit my bell, I want a party, I want a cookie, I want to stay up. I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now, now *gasp* Dont you see child? They only tell you stories to shut you up- "Captain James Hook"
Go to Top of Page

NinjaMaster 42
Advanced Member

USA
3303 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  14:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a big fan of Romance novels. I refuse to read Twilight for example. The Templar thing sounds cool though.

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight? Those arent romance novels to my knolage but anywho the battle between Heaven and Hell plus the involvment of the Knights Templar is what drew me to this book. That and its author royalty

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people-"V"

I think your mother tells you stories to fool you into falling asleep so that she and your father can have three miesly miniuts alone with out your insesent commands. She took my toy, he hit my bell, I want a party, I want a cookie, I want to stay up. I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now, now *gasp* Dont you see child? They only tell you stories to shut you up- "Captain James Hook"
Go to Top of Page

NinjaMaster 42
Advanced Member

USA
3303 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a teen romance novel, and it ruins every possible image of Vampires wich disgusts me. the girls in my school have formed a cult following for it. My sister dragged me into the theaters to wacth it with her and i hated the movie too. a classic piece of Litereture and moviemaking ruined in one clean swift strike. at least fantasy is still pure.

I may have gotten off-topic but i needed to vent my anger.

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vent all u like because I am in compleat agreement Twilight and everything related to it sucks! No pun intended. lol

Go to Top of Page

NinjaMaster 42
Advanced Member

USA
3303 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  23:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha thats funny. anyway other than the Dragonvarld triolgy and Dragonlance i havent read anything else by Margaret Weis or Tracy Hickman. i cant find anything else truthfully.

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  23:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh Ive stubled across some books that Hickman wrote with his daughter but nothing I thought worth picking up, same for other books of Wies. They just dont look that appealing to me.

Go to Top of Page

NinjaMaster 42
Advanced Member

USA
3303 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  23:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm in the middle of nowhere. nothing EVER happens. i guess the editors havent this place yet it's so small.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000