Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  13:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
((Thanks Scann!))

I did not see any info, unless I missed it, but did she happen to say when it might be released or anything like that for DL DoWN?

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  17:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a thing, my guess is that they are still in the early stages.

quote:
Originally posted by james

ps: Vodka is a devil that makes you go running around in the wilderness like Zombies are chasing you. Please drink in moderation!
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not meaning to be a downer, but the quote you gave us said that they were considering a second movie. I am not on Hollywood speak, but that is about as non-committal as they can be without saying "no".

I hope they do, but it is WAY too early for me to buy stocks in Paramount

It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now,to give it a perfect ending,was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Alex -A Clockwork Orange

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  21:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And not for nothing, but they need to Del Toro the crap out of it.

My meaning is simply comparing the garbage that PJ put into the LOTRs and then having someone like Del Toro come in to do the Hobbit as a nice change of pace. Let's get something different happening with a potential DOWN.
Go to Top of Page

Ladytwylight
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  08:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I don't think they should have done them as films at all! I think hey should have tried doing a book as a series, that would have been the only way they wouldn't have killed the story line and the characters. Admittedly they could have done a much worse job but they miss out too much that means so much in the story line.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  12:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladytwylight, I couldn't agree with you more! I think that that would have been the only way to do them justice.

quote:
Originally posted by james

ps: Vodka is a devil that makes you go running around in the wilderness like Zombies are chasing you. Please drink in moderation!
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  13:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I agree with both of you. Man why cant movie makers come up with this stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No big production company would take on DL as a series, or D&D for that matter. It has, and always will have, a bad reputation. It's a big risk and I don't think anyone would invest the money in it.

HBO bought the rights to produce a mini series about A Song of Ice and Fire (the greatest fantasy series since LOTRs, in my opinion). I was estatic, since most of my tv viewing are programs on HBO. Now, things have stalled, HBO may be obtaining offers from the BBC to help produce the series, and the series may never take off. I also read somewhere that they may can ASOIAF for a King Arthur series!!!! Like we need more of that crap!

Fantasy is a hard sell.

"How do God and Devil combine to form a live dog?"

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 27 Aug 2008 16:09:17
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  21:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crap? Excuse me VD but the story of King Arthur is far from crap. If you want a great fantasy epic that is it. It one of the oldest fantasy storys ever made and one of the most famous. If someone is going to make a tv show about it I say more power to them. But back to the topic what do you mean a bad rep?
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  21:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just saying that the King Arthur story has been done so many times that I'm sick of it. There are so many variations that I find it annoying. We certainly don't need a mini series about it. Unfortunately, it still sells and I can see why they would choose it over something not as popular.

As far as D&D having a bad rep, I think that the general population looks down upon the "fantasy/sci fi" fan, especially D&D fans. I remember growing up thinking that those who were into D&D were either really dorky or Satanists (all due to the way the media portrayed them), until I actually read the books and learned about it. We all know it's not true, but its a huge risk for a major company to actually produce the funds necessary to create a mini series based upon DL. We are a small, albeit magnificent, minority.

Fantasy is generally considered the laughing stock of storytelling by many a pretentious bastard. I see it time and time again.

ROTK would never have won so many awards if it didn't bring in so much money. The movie by itself was definitely not worth an oscar. It won because of the $$$$$ it made. Nothing more. The picture is mediocre at best by itself.

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 27 Aug 2008 21:38:13
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  22:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humm what you say is sad but true VD. Though I find it interesting how the fantasy and sifi section is the bigest in the store. And they are alot more interesting to read then Westerns ar Mysterybleh. I personaly dont see what ppl have againced fantasy. But I suppose your right a mini sirise about Dl wouldnt do that well.
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur with what you're saying VD.

Allow me to mention this as fly in the ointment.

Back before the mid to late nineties, comic books to films were not always well done. The only major films that did well (to my very limited knowledge, that is) were the first Superman (Reeves) and the first Batman (Keaton). As good as they were for the time, one could say that they were products of the times they were produced, and not necessarily true to the mythos of the respective comics.

Then, this gentleman by the name of Bryan, went against all conventions of the time and made a film based on comic book characters that was not kitschy, campy or any other term that could be used with the majority of the offerings to that time. It was a gamble because it tried to stay true to the spirit of the comics. And now, after more than a decade, we have a film that has followed that format of true-to-spirit that is the second largest gross domestic earner in North America.

My point is that comic books to film was not given its due and was not considered a worthwhile project until one person started the avalanche that we have now reaped the benefits of. I sincerely believe that we need another Bryan, Peter, George, or whatever name that will soon-to-be, to explode the ripe potential of fantasy so that in the coming decade, we can all bask in the glory of properly done projects that reflect the spirit and limitless potential for this genre that we all love dearly.

And we will be in Nirvana.

It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now,to give it a perfect ending,was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Alex -A Clockwork Orange

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  22:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dark Mage. I will limit my retort to your slander against Westerns to a jpeg.

I don't think anyone has ever insulted me so....
You now have my respect and admiration for being so bold.

TW, I wish that fantasy could take hold of the mass market as much as comic stories. The thing is, there was a huge uprising of fantasy/sci fi films in the 80's. There's countless of them. Yet not one made a dent in the financial side of the film market. Even Willow, one of the biggest media hyped up fantasy films of the 80's (probably due to it's similarity to the LOTRs), still flopped in the box office.

Can anyone think of a sci fi/fantasy movie in the 80s, besides Aliens, that was considered a success by critics and fans alike? Was the Abyss in the 80's? I'm shooting blanks. (and not because I'm off the blue pill) . Even if so, those two films are more Sci Fi than anything else. Fantasy has no real respectable place in the film industry.

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 27 Aug 2008 22:57:26
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insulted? That wasnt my intention I asure you. My coment was toword western novels not movies or shows. I love Clint Eastwoods spigety westerns, and I ador the movie Tombstone. I dont know about a movie from the 80's but in the 90's there was a show called Hurcules staring Kevin Sorbo and it was one of the most popular shows on tv and it was a fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be at ease Dark Mage. I was only jesting and I only amplified your remark as an excuse to create another one of my unrealistic glib strawman comments. There is no way you could have known this, but I love Westerns (films and novels--I'm actually reading another Cormac McCarthy book right now). I wasn't offended. It's a tough genre to get into and there's no need to defend yourself!

To further digress, I was thinking about my previous comment about Aliens being so successful yet other fantasy films are not and wondering why it is so? Is it because most people actually believe that aliens could exist and that elves, goblins and dwarves are part of our imagination that could not or never will exist? An example:

My father disliked the first Matrix because he said "no one could dodge a bullet like that and that it wasn't "real". He missed the whole point, but I think that his sentiment is exactly how most people feel when they watch films. That want to watch something that's believable or that could potentially happen in "real" life. We spend most of our childhood reading Fairy Tales and Folk Stories about Giants, Dwarves (sometimes as many as seven), Knights and Damsels and we are taught at a young age that all that stuff is fake. Yet we go to school, learn about science and stuff, and how there could actually be other life on distant planets and then aliens automatically become fact, not fiction, and then top sellers at the box office.

WTF am I writing about?

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 27 Aug 2008 23:28:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000