New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zentrin
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  12:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of GAMMA WORLD until today. One of my sergeants just walked in and dropped of a few books while I was asleep. But I woke up and asked him what he was doing. So he brought me a new Star Wars book, The Collections book of Drizt from R.A. Salvatore, and something else that looked interesting. But the one book that stood out was.... TADA!!!.... GAMMA WORLD: Sooner Dead.

GAMMA WORLD!

It appears to be about our world that has gone post-apocalyptic with radiation and mutations everywhere. But our world is interlaced with other dimensions where destruction and nuclear attacks are common in every dimension and mixed with our world. So now the year is 2153 or something like that and humans are not exactly human anymore. It appears that humans have learned to use mental abilities and even cybornetic implants. But the main characters that the back of the book mentions is a human girl "Hella" and a minotaur male named "Stampede"

I am going to read this book and give my review! Personally I am stoked to have recieved this book as it showed me a new D&D book/ world. And seeing 'Stampede' on cover made me think of 'Dash'! WooT! Sure they are not the same characters but how many books do you get to read with a minotaur as a main, or even read about a minotaur in a post apocalyptic era?

So today I learned something new. Has anyone ever heard of GAMMA WORLD? The planet is now known as GAMMA TERRA and I believe this book takes place in Wisconsin? So finally D&D did something new, but how long will it carry on?

I'm all over this bad boy.

What's your take?

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  13:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a real cool book to read Z, and yes please let us know more about it. I may pick it up myself .

And going off in a small tangent here but I like the last "Narnia" movie because it had a semi-main character that was a Minotaur named 'Tavros' in it....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-

Edited by - Fizban Who on 28 Mar 2011 02:05:06
Go to Top of Page

zentrin
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  11:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read 2 shapters so far because I was too tired to read further. But.... the author is pretty good and I am hooked.

Hella is 'hella' bad ass. She is only 20 years old and Stampede is called a 'bisonoid' which he still appears minotaur but bigger and stronger. Stampede is really cool. Then there is Daisy, a lizard mount for them. Daisy is a story in it's own. I am not going to go further into what is going on or what they do. If I did I would really spoil the story. But so far, it is an awesome good with a different idea. I think it goes beyond FALLOUT 3 the game, and has it's perks to through in Mad Max in there somewhere. Who knows, maybe Hella is the next Mad Max.

If you want to say more on the characters I will. But I leave that desicion up to you. It's not a long book, but I sincerely do hope that Hella, Daisy, and Stampede live to be in another book. Just let me know if you want to know more on the characters and the abilities. It is well stated and demonstrated in the first chapter. Let me know what you want to hear without giving away the story.

^.^

Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  02:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go ahead and tell us more if you can without giving out the story line, Z... sounds like a good book

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-
Go to Top of Page

zentrin
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  16:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright.

Without giving away the story ^.^

Hella is a young woman that doesn't recall her past. But in her body are nanobots. She cannot recall where these nanobots come from and I am not sure if she has super healing powers from them. But it was mentioned that when her blood was tested, there are no nanobots found existing in her blood. They seem to dismantle themselves when they leave her body or they just never leave her body. It is not clear. But what the nenobots do for her is she can manipulate her hands and arms to turn into some mechanical weaponry. At will her hands can change to gun barrels and shoot any caliber of weapon she desires small as small as .22 to as large as .50 cal rounds and even rockets from her arms. But she is not the supplier of the rounds, she carries a backpack with resource material that go into her body and the nanobits convert those materials into rounds of various types including white phospherous, exploive heads, tracers and solid ball rounds. Depending how much she fires also takes into account for it does take time for the nanobites to make the round, so she can run out quickly until more are made.

I think this is really really cool! I can't say more about her cause then I get into the story.

Stampede found Hella. And they are wasteland scouts. Kind of like guides and mercenaries. But they appear to be very good in nature. Stampede has the power to send shockwwaves into the earth and even through other objects. But his abilities are not very clear yet. It is still a mystery as to what his actual potentials are. I don't want to go further into him because you plainly have to read it!

^.^

Daisy! Oh gawd... Daisy was a little egg when Hella found her, and then she became an immense lizard that is about 12 feet long or so. She is pretty huge and has a great kinship with Hella and Stampede. They have became the team! Daisy is considerably smart for a lizard, but Daisy still cannot distinguish the different between regular food and dead body from either a battle or just found in the wastelands. I can't go on any further about Daisy because I don't know anymore about Daisy!

O.o

Now I am up to Chapter 9 and read a little of it when I am not tired. But I am reading it as I am going to sleep but find that I get so into the book that I can't sleep. So I for one am hooked! The author is a good author and the detail is very good where you can really visualize everything. I like it like that. And you really feel the emotion of the characters as all their feelings are felt as you read the book. It's great!

That is all I can say for now. But it would be nice to be able to talk about it when you guys get to read it.

Enjoy it!

Edited by - zentrin on 28 Mar 2011 16:30:30
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  01:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my next day off of work I'm going to have to make it a point to go to the book store and find this one... Thanks Z!!!

-Edmund Burke-
Go to Top of Page

zentrin
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  18:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ordered the D&D campaign setting for Gamma World ^.^

Can't wait to get it :-)

Anyone read it yet?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic