Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ironelf
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  09:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone close to me works for a movie rental company so I've seen the movie but I'm curious it doesn't look like most of you have seen the movie yet. I've had the chance to view it a few times now and here's my $.02.

I apologize if I'm just new to the site and this is a stupid post and you have all seen the movie. Let me say that I've been a Dragonlance fan for a decade or more. I loved the books and read them all before I graduated high school. Friends and I rpg'd in Dragonlance. What an amazing story and an equally amazing set of books!!!

That said, this movie was probably the biggest disappointment that I've had from a movie in a long while. Ghost Rider was better than this. Dragonlance fans, if you have not seen this movie do yourself a favor and hang on to the daydreams of what a great movie that this series could make. I'm a huge fan of animated movies whether they be 2D or 3D and this movie, even being both, is an animation nightmare.

Seriously, this movie sucked and was an enormous let down when I least needed one. Whoever was involved with this debacle should be ashamed of themselves. I've seen better animation on South Park then one sequence where Raistlin casts a fireball at draconians. Actually, there's a few sequences where the animation is barely on par with South Park.

Anyway, you can flame me all you like but this was a very pathetic attempt at what could have been amazing.

Miranwe
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  16:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the movie doesn't officially come out till the 15th then no most of us haven't seen the movie...

From the things we have seen and read on these forums and other sources, the animation lacking is a known issue about the movie and there are those of us that accept that and those that don't...

Right now, I accept it...that's just me...I understand this movie didn't have a huge budget and I can see why that would be from a business standpoint...it's not like these books came out yesterday and they are being snatched up in the bookstores as quick as they are put out...I think if that was the case we would have a much higher budget live action movie...It seems to me that DL is just following the footsteps of the older fantasy novels that have been made into movies but there are those of us that agree and disagree with that as well...

MirMir

Edited by - Miranwe on 08 Jan 2008 16:13:31
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  16:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all know the animation isn't great. Give us spoilers! We heard from someone else that Riverwind doesn't get too messed up from the Dragon acid. Is it that true?
How hurt does he look?
How chessy is the forrest master sceen?
Is the relationship between the twins conveyed well? Do all of the voices fit the characters?
Are there any major discrepancies with the novels that you spotted?
Does Caramon have him dragon wing helm?

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?
—Favorite kender expression, Dragons of Winter Night
Go to Top of Page

ironelf
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  21:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to say the animation isn't great is like saying that the monster from Cloverfield is sort of biggish, meaning that's a huge understatement. It's honestly some of the worst I've ever seen period and not even to the level of many of the saturday morning cartoons that I watched when I was a younger lad.

OK, James:
Riverwind doesn't get too messed up from the Dragon acid. Is it that true?
The acid from Onyx completely misses Riverwind, it actually hits a rock that he's hiding behind.

How chessy is the forrest master sceen?
First Class Smoked Gouda.

Is the relationship between the twins conveyed well?
It's ok. Caramon is as over-attentive as you would expect and Raistlin snubs his attention a few times. It's evident that they are brothers but not that they are twins.

Do all of the voices fit the characters?
Yes.

Are there any major discrepancies with the novels that you spotted?
It's been a while since I read the books I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Does Caramon have him dragon wing helm?
I can't remember seeing it but I'll watch it again and look.

Definitely rent this and don't buy it when it comes out peeps, this movie is not a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  21:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love gouda.

he isn't even hit by the acid? WTF? Such a let down.

I wasn't holding my breath for another ratattoule, so the animation doesn't bother me.

I'm very happy all the voices fit.

It isn't apparent they are twins in the books either except that they are called twins. So no big loss there.

Why can't anyone remember that Helmet? Sturms horns get them all up in arms, but Caramon's helmet doesn't even make them scratch their chin.

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Go to Top of Page

oldfan

80 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, i gotta a question:
is the kender as annoying in the movie as he is in the book?

would you say that the 2d animation is better or worse than the early simpsons episodes if you've seen them. actually, since you say that the animation is barely on par w/ south park, which is extremely limited, i'll take it that it's really really bad.

is it even worth the $4 to rent it?

i'm curious why the pg13 rating then? "animated violence and gore"?
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sturm gets his face smashed in by a draconian and bleeds all over the place. And maybe they put in the "Lauran and Goldmoon helping Tika into her armour" sceen. We can only hope...

Go to Top of Page

ironelf
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tas is very annoying.

James, in reference to the twins I guess it's apparent in the book that they are because of the varius references to the fact that they are but I don't think that there was any reference to this in the movie.

"Sturm gets his face smashed in by a draconian and bleeds all over the place."

Yeah he puts his hand against his head and a red patch appears by his nose.

"would you say that the 2d animation is better or worse than the early simpsons episodes if you've seen them. actually, since you say that the animation is barely on par w/ south park, which is extremely limited, i'll take it that it's really really bad."

I should have elaborated on animation a bit more. The 2D animation is not that bad, but I've seen much better. I could probably do it better myself if I had the time. The 3D animation is laughable at best. When they were first compositing the 2D and 3D someone should have had enough sense to realize that the 3D was so bad that it should have been scrapped and all 3D elements and characters should have been reworked by 2D animators. I did better 3D character animation with Infini-D and Ray Dream Studio when I was in school. The interaction between 2D and 3D is hard to look at. You'll see like I said when Raist casts a fireball at two draconians when they're being rescued by the elves.

"is it even worth the $4 to rent it?"

Yeah but not worth $15 to buy it. I've watched it a few times and I don't know why I keep watching it. Maybe, I'm that disappointed by it. Maybe, I keep hoping that it's a cruel joke and after you watch it enough times you unlock the real version.
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironelf

Maybe, I keep hoping that it's a cruel joke and after you watch it enough times you unlock the real version.

That indeed would be awesome!

Go to Top of Page

Kube
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  00:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So in order to appreciate this movie, one should poke out your eyes and just imagine what a good movie would LOOK like. Oh well, what can you expect.

When does the final trailer come out? Just Kidding! [says while ducking hundreds of items thrown by bystanders]

Kube

Edited by - Kube on 09 Jan 2008 00:08:09
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  00:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum Kube. And you don't have to poke your eyes out, just paste some elmore painting over your tv screen

Go to Top of Page

ironelf
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  01:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checking back in.

I guess the reason that I couldn't remember whether or not Caramon's helm had horns or not is because he doesn't wear one.

If anyone cares to send me an email address I'll send over a bunch of screenshots, I can't seem to get into my website right now.
Go to Top of Page

Ellianna
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  04:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to say, I agree with Ironelf on everything here.
I watched this movie tonight (I manage a rental company myself)and was extremely disappointed. I didn't have the highest hopes that it would be great, but I figured that if nothing else, a crazy fangirl like me would be able to appreciate it for what it is. How very, very wrong I was. First time poster here, but since it seems many have not seen it yet, I figured I could add my .02

1-
In reference to the animation, it was horrid. Really did not flow at all, and though the actual "artwork" may not have been half bad - they probably would make better still prints than animated.
I know someone said if you're a big enough fan, you can look beyond the animation. Believe me, at the beginning of this I thought so too...
Oh, and btw....Forest Master? I really don't know what they were thinking with that scene. The Forest Master looked Awful....a little disturbing even, the way she just stood there with the vacant eyes with some sort of thorny vine all over her.

2 -
I was hopeful about the actors doing the voices, but even they couldn't seem to get it right. Lines seemed forced at some points, rushed at others, and the wrong tone at most. It really sounded, for the most part, like they were just reading off cue cards.

3-
The movie itself. Though it tried to stay true to the storyline in the book, it deviated here and there. I expect it, truth be told, when they adapt from a book, but if something is different - it should make sense. And if something is cut out, it should be something relatively small. Everything about the flow of the storyline seemed rushed and hollow. A coworker of mine (who has never read the books, just thought it looked like something he might enjoy) told me he didn't really understand what was going on, as far as a linear storyline. It's almost as if they made 40 scenes and stuck them together without connecting points.

Honestly, I apologize if any of you feel I am unfairly bashing this movie. I've just been a Dragonlance fan since the books came out so many, many years ago. I always hoped for a movie to be made, but was fearful of a bad Live Action one...
When I heard they were doing an animated feature, I honestly thought that was the best route to go with the budget they had. It seems it didn't make a difference :(
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  04:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellianna

Honestly, I apologize if any of you feel I am unfairly bashing this movie.

Ellianna,

Your prose was thoughtfully laid out, and (to me) did not seem to have any rancor. The way I read your post, you stated your opinions, and backed them up without ranting nor insulting the sun-gods.

It was a pleasure to read your input, although it was not flattering towards the production (which is not a surprise to most of us), due to your honesty without the excessive diatribe.

From that point, I will still withhold my judgment on the production until I see it (and I am still looking forward to seeing it), so I thank you for your thoughtful and refreshing posting.

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw’s a fascist regime
Don’t think that they don’t have feelings
Just cause a radish can’t scream

Carrot Juice is Murder – Arrogant Worms

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Hollywood Hogan
Starting Member

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  04:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caramon not having his Dragon Wing Helm is akin to Rambo not shooting anyone in his movies. Complete and utter lack of attention to detail. More times than not, this lack of attention to detail also translates into a lack of passion for the piece of art being made and therefore if the artist can't put forth their best efforts, then I don't want to waste my valuable money or time watching it.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this movie and was optomistic - despite all the signs not to be - that things would turn out well for this movie. Well, here is hoping the Conan animated movie is much better than this drivel.

Hollywood

"I put him down for the 1... the 2... and the 3, brotherrrrrrrrrrr!" - Hollywood Hogan, nWo
Go to Top of Page

Ellianna
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  04:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
From that point, I will still withhold my judgment on the production until I see it

I wouldn't have it any other way My intent when I posted wasn't to dissuade anyone from seeing it for themselves, only to give some feedback. In all honesty, I'll probably watch it again before I return it just to see if there are any saving merits for me to actually purchase it. If nothing else, it can sit as a "collectible" along with my old Dragonlance books :p

I know alot of hard work went into this to get it released, and believe me - I really, really thought that even if the world hated it, I would love it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000