Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Woggie

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  18:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Annic

I'M UNHAPPY BECAUSE I CAN'T GET A COPY OF THE FILM IN REGION 2 FORMAT SO I'VE NOT EVEN SEEN IT TERRIBLE OR OTHERWISE!

Do a little searching. There are tools out there to "de-regionalize" a DVD. I am not certain of their legality but the tools are available. You could also look for unlock codes for your player.

Go to Top of Page

KenderSurprise
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  18:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roadstar1600

I'm unhappy first of all that the animation was outsourced to India..

Yep, this is one reason why the animation was so bad. But, if they hadn't outsourced the work to Indian labor they probably wouldn't even be able to afford the cheap pile of crud at all. Although no movie may be better than the movie we have.

So why did they even make the movie anyway? Paramount must have seen this as a tiny drop in their ocean and didn't even see fit to give it a professional budget. So, what was the motivation behind it, and why did WoTC & W&H settle on this deal and not wait for something better? Surely there must be other film companies out there who would be willing to make a good DL movie. If the other D&D movies could at least 'look' good, and lesser fantasy stories could have better movies why did DL end up shoved to the bottom of the seventh layer of hell?
Go to Top of Page

oldfan

80 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the 3D and compositing was outsourced to India, but the 2D was outsourced to korea

It's sad when a low budget film from 1982 ($3 million total, $200K for animation, the majority to voices) "The Last Unicorn" has better animation, mood and more appealing design than this.

Edited by - oldfan on 24 Jan 2008 22:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  21:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason the film was given such a low budget is the vast majority of fantasy films flop.

See: Eragon, Golden Compass, Dragonheart,Dungeons & Dragons, Legend, even Willow barely made a profit.

If I were going to take a gamble, I'd rather lose $1.5 million than $100 million.

Before arguing with a moderator, look here: http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/forum/go/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74

Edited by - Slorg on 24 Jan 2008 21:02:03
Go to Top of Page

moonraker
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  22:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big reason I'm so unhappy is that it left out huge details and was just horrible recreation of the book. I don't even care about the animation, I just wish it wouldn't have changed so much
Go to Top of Page

tarheel2111
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  04:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overall, this movie was a great attempt at recreating my childhood fantasies. Ever since I read the books on their original releases, I've wanted to see them on film. Yes, there were some minor details left out, like the well in Xak Tsaroth, and Tas & Fizban in Pax Tharkas (the tapestries in the book). And I would've liked to see the betrayal of the Gully Dwarf King in Pax Tharkas, but what they did was close enough. The portrayal of Fizban bothered me a bit. I may have been a clueless youngster when I read the books the first time, but I didn't know Fizban was Paladine until the 3rd book. But this movie gave it away way too quickly. Other than these few things I've said here, the movie held true to the books and I think with all this feedback and profit (hopefully), the next ones will be incredible. I'm looking forward to it!
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  06:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woggie/Yes I think it was that bad.
//I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it yet

Send it to me, so I don't have to pay for it.

I'm unhappy that it just seems to be one bad thing after another. First the movie, then Margaret's contract not being extended or whatever, next Dragons of the Hourglass Mage possibly never being written....*sigh*

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

Roadstar1600
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  11:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

The reason the film was given such a low budget is the vast majority of fantasy films flop.

See: Eragon, Golden Compass, Dragonheart,Dungeons & Dragons, Legend, even Willow barely made a profit.

If I were going to take a gamble, I'd rather lose $1.5 million than $100 million.

There are a hundred flops in every genre for every success. This is not limited to fantasy. An equally long list could be made for fantasy movie successes. Lord of the Rings, The Princess Bride, Stardust, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Beowulf and Star Wars for example. So I'm not buying it, if this is in fact Paramount's excuse.

I think the reason the budget was so low is that Paramount believed this movie would only appeal to a small niche, i.e. Dragonlance/Dungeons and Dragons fans. No one bothered to notice how good the story is. I don't see any vision on their part. I don't see the George Lucas type of person who devotes himself to the project. That's because there was no such person in this lackadaisical effort. That's why this movie was massively under-budgeted and that's why this movie is so bad. It takes a dreamer to tell a fantasy story. Not a pencil pusher behind a desk watching every penny of the bottom line, and worried about protecting his own skin.

Incidentally, The Golden Compass, which is widely considered a flop, has grossed $321 million so far vs. a budget of $180 to make the film. So I think they are doing okay there. The major reason it has grossed only that much has only to do with its atheistic, anti-Christian theme. The movie is boycotted by an array of Christian groups.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  12:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not just Paramount's excuse, it's every movie studio's excuse. I've stated before that Dragonlance has been formally proposed...and summarily rejected, by every movie company out there. The reason? Fantasy movies hold the biggest risk.

We the fans may not see it that way, but movie studios do.

Remember, New Line Cinema was the LAST movie studio Peter Jackson went to propose the Lord of the Rings movies, and even then he had to fight his ass off to keep them from squishing it into ONE MOVIE.

Before arguing with a moderator, look here: http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/forum/go/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74
Go to Top of Page

chakan2
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  23:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm unhappy this movie was ever made. I'm unhappy no one looked at like 5 minutes of the animation in pre-production and didn't say WTF are you thinking, everyone is fired.

I'm unhappy all the voice acting was apparently done in one take, by people who have never seen the script before, and apparently can't read very well.

And Keefer was a terrible choice for Raistlin. Who in their right mind though that Raistlin has a deep voice.

I'm unhappy the movie is rendered at like 5 frames a second. Who's bright idea was it to mix the 3d and 2d elements. That was a terrible choice. Worse, if you are going to mix the two make sure you RENDER THEM AT THE SAME SPEED.

Go to Top of Page

forester
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  03:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all in all, it was what was forewarned from the trailer, but it wasn't all bad. the animation was akin to the dungeons and dragons cartoon, and it was nice to see it on the screen, but I'm not sure if it would be easy to follow if the watcher hadn't read the books. i liked it.
i have a few copies of many of the books, miniatures, campaign settings, role playing game (saga), and now the movie. the amber and ashes trilogy seems to be written for nothing but a buck with no heart, yet the new additions to the original books are well written, so far.
Anyways, these are a few things i personally was unhappy with in the movie:(these are spoilers to any who still plan on seeing it, so be warned)
-it seemed that the presence of dragons was just another day to day thing to the characters. no dragon fear, no disbelief, no awe. the party just rummaged through the black dragons hoard looking for the disks as if the dragon wasn't even there, and when it woke up, it was like 'oh, a dragon, la de da'
-everything was too jumpy, like the only time the party slept was with the white stag, and the rest of the adventure happened in like a days time.
-paladine vs dark queen battle at the end
-bad changes in the story which were not needed (like sturm being in the inn with the rest of the party when goldmoon and riverwind get into trouble

off hand, thats about all i can think of, but i still liked the movie, it was just a cartoon after all, not the end all of all conceptual fantasy adventure protrayed on the screen.

now zoidburg is popular, lets all talk to zoidburg
Go to Top of Page

needledick
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  12:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if anyone feels the same way as I do but I kept waiting for Captain Planet to fly onto the screen and using the powers combined he would defeat the evil dragons!!!! I mean come on I love these Dragonlance books but this movie was Horrible I mean I had specific ideas in my mind as to how each character sounded and lets face it even though the cast was decent as far as popularity goes their voices did not match up with each character. Why couldnt Rankin/Bass produce this film rather than some early saturday morning cartoon producer?
Go to Top of Page

Haralion

Canada
959 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  17:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I beg to differ Slorg but if you listen to PJ's interview about that indeed New line was the last studio he went to but THEY proposed to him to do 3 movies as LOTR had 3 books, this interview is on the dvd extras on the the extended version of the first film if i'm correct. The story was that he had a contract with Miramax, after seeing how much it would cost to make two movies ( as this was how PJ envisionned it at the time) Miramax asked PJ to do LOTR in one film . He refused and said he wouldn't do it in one film so Miramax offered him this: if he could get a studio to buy what Miramax had invested thus far in the project then he could continue with them after. So that's why PJ went to every major studio to ask for money for had been done thus far and money for the films he wanted to make.

Back on topic, I'm unhappy because the paid for big name actors to put on the dvd cover to try and sell an under-financed product. They counted on the fact that there was a large fan base and that they could get some money out of them without investing too much on the film.

''I believe tomorrow will be better than today and I'm willing to work for it ...
it may or may not be true, but it's worth believing. "
Tracy Raye Hickman
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  18:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vassor Doss

Fiz, this thread is actually about being UNHAPPY with the film. But there is already a NEGATIVE thread created so this probably should be locked (OMG I'm turning into Slorg's secretary). I don't mind all the negativity because I think it's justifiable. I'm just unhappy about all the insults being thrown around.

"Colt 45. It works everytime."

((ooppss, I was not complaining about the negitive threads, if I gave that impression to any, my applogizes to you all. I was talking about going into a positive/ 'happy thread' and posting a negitive remark.))

I'm unhappy because who knows how long it will be before we get to see DL:DoWN ...if they make one that is....

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?
Go to Top of Page

jweber
Starting Member

Denmark
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  02:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, greetings from Denmark. As to answer another thread, we in Denmark, do have regular DVD-players, with the ability to play region 1.

I watched it earlier today, I´ve been chasing it in Denmark for over a week now, since the release. Finally got it, through Amazon.com. I rounded up long time friends, from back in the days, when we played (some) of the adventure in AD&D. And a few, who weren´t among us back then. I was the the lead man, on this one.. I did, warn everybody, that this was an animated movie, and NOT a well done project. Along my search, I encounted someone, who tried to sell it off, as a tribute to the "classic" D&D-cartoons.

Before I saw it, my biggest worry was, if the poor quality would bother me to much, to enjoy the story...

I´m truly sad to say, that it did. As others before me has written, they laughed during this movie, not because of the humor, but because of poor quality.. One of the highlights, among my friends, was a "boob-shot" among the Pax Tharkas prisonners..
I found several flaws in the movie, who wasn´t necessary to the new story-line.
Another downside, was that the movie was split between "lets learn all new of the D&D-universe/gameplay" and "HEy! everybody knows this"! Elves do grow to be older than humans, so Laurana is a lot older than Elistan..
Needles to say, we were very disappointed, and I still can´t understand why this movie has to be made, so awfully.. We joked about the end credits, we´re better made, than the actual movie.. Not far from the the true..

I still hope for a part two, but please decide between 2D and 3D.. Not both, it just didn´t work..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000