Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Raistlins Apprentice

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russel Crowe as Caramon? Maybe if he used steroids for a year and put on like 100 pounds of muscle. David bowie? Are they kidding? And I think Oldman is a we tad to old to play Sturm, but not a bad actor. The rest weren't bad, some faces I didn't know. How tall is the Riverwind guy? That is key. And what about Tas?

"Mortal world turned to Ice, here be goblin paradise!"
"Higher higher burning fire, making music like a choir!"
Go to Top of Page

Nathaniel

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  11:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly, i like the idea of actors who love the series enough to place right tones in the movie... and on that note has anyone seen "The Gamers" by a group called The Dead Gentlemen?

for those who havnt seen it; it is about a group of guys playing D&D well into a great adventure having various twists and turns in order to destroy their one true foe... The Shadow

they made well on using a serious story but at the same time filling the empty plotholes with hilarious dialect, if anyone were commissioned to remake the DL movies in live and amateur style, i'd want it to be them

________________________________________________________________________________
"Because I have to stand here boldly holding the spoon, I can't be bold and open the door at the same time." -Tasslehoff Burrfoot
Go to Top of Page

PappaRock
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please..I don't even want to think about them doing another movie if it's going to be like this. I may have to go to hollywood and kill them all.
If it looks like dog shit, smells like dog shit, then it must be dogshit.
That is exactly what this 80's cartoon-like "animated film" was. Pure dogshit. They didn't want to do better. Throw it out there and make a few bucks. I hope Tracy and Margaret got paid well for their part in this...I am truly disappointed that they would allow this to happen to their masterpiece.
Enough said.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  02:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As stated about 11ty billion times in other threads, Margaret and Tracy didn't have a choice in the matter as they didn't own the rights to the movie.

Go to Top of Page

draknar
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  02:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what if it didn't follow the book 100% if you want a movie to be perfect, its called pick up the book and read it(A book is always better then a movie). Tell you the truth i think they did a great job. Yeah the animation was sorta bad, but hell i enjoyed it because this was one of my favorite books. It was pretty cool to see it in picture. I have no complains whats for ever.
I hope they keep making the movies. They did a excellent job following the book!
The characters voices were pretty good. It would suck if they just changed everything up for the next movie.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

As stated about 11ty billion times in other threads, Margaret and Tracy didn't have a choice in the matter as they didn't own the rights to the movie.

11ty billion? That's a lot! ((Dan ducks as Slorg swings the MACE OF B-A-N at his head)) Alright, I'll go back to the Inn where I belong! LOL.

Respectfully submitted,
Fistandscanndalus
(The poster formerly known as Scanndalus)

Rules to live by:
Rule #1
Sirch is always right

Rule #2
If Sirch is ever wrong, please refer back to Rule #1

Edited by - Scanndalus on 24 Apr 2008 19:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha, ha, ha. I guess they have a different way of counting 'Down under' Scann!

((UH OH!!! I see that 'MACE' coming for me!!!))

...however, I still hope that we will get to see a flix out of this second book.

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?

Edited by - Fizban Who on 24 Apr 2008 22:40:08
Go to Top of Page

cogknackthedistillerator
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  16:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved the Dragonlance movie. It was great even with any flaws in it. I hope they make another movie and I hope they start on the movie soon. Anyone who says that Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis had no influence on the movie is joking. While they didn't write the script they were consulted on the movie and involved somewhat in the process. They did manage to get Bupu's scene with Raistlin back into the movie even if other important parts were cut. The problem with a story like Dragonlance is that it is too complex for an hour and half or two hours. To properly tell the story a miniseries would be necessary, or even an entire television series of a few seasons to tell a complete complex story. I don't see any company going to that kind of effort though, most film or television companies just go for the cheap pay out.
Go to Top of Page

Versingetorix

Canada
276 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  19:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the one thing i bet they will screw up on it is something that they can't i would imagine. Tas after sturms death that one might not work with how he acted in the first one and with the animation style.

Just because a thing isn't true doesn't mean you can't believe in it! ... Some
of the most important things we believe may or may not be true ... that people
are basically good ... that honor, courage and virtue are everything ... that
money and power, power and money are nothing ... and that love ... true love
never dies. ... They may or may not be true but we believe in them, because
they're the only things worth believing in."

I wanted to tell her that sometimes in my long sleep I dreamt of her
Go to Top of Page

Digideus
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2008 :  05:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way to make Winter Nights better than Autumn Twilight is NOT to make it. Dragonlance needs people with far more talent and vision at the helm before it is turned into a movie.
Go to Top of Page

Donovandannistar
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  02:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by draknar

so what if it didn't follow the book 100% if you want a movie to be perfect, its called pick up the book and read it(A book is always better then a movie). Tell you the truth i think they did a great job. Yeah the animation was sorta bad, but hell i enjoyed it because this was one of my favorite books. It was pretty cool to see it in picture. I have no complains whats for ever.
I hope they keep making the movies. They did a excellent job following the book!
The characters voices were pretty good. It would suck if they just changed everything up for the next movie.

They followed it like a nine-year old's mangled telling of the tale. The dialogue was stilted, and the plot was just the "key scenes" set end to end with little transitional material.

Don't get me started about the animation...the only GOOD thing about it were the individual character designs. The backgrounds were horrible (often just blurrs of color) and the motion was choppy (what, were they filming 18 frame instead of 24 to save money?). They frikking "Bakshi-d" the thing!

Give it a decent budget and do it RIGHT, or don't bother doing it at all!
Go to Top of Page

raist415
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  22:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You just lost 90% of your would be viewers casting Paris Hilton :P
Go to Top of Page

jarod
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  22:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really do hope they continue with the series... I had no expectations and just seeing the DVD box it was obvious this was going to be simular to the 80s D&D cartoon series, and I had a blast watching it and didn't want the movie to end!

And the story is so much more interesting in the 2nd + 3rd books, I'll forever feel frustrated if they leave it at this 1 movie (when I was young I had a graphic novel of the first half of the first book, and I never was able to track down the rest... no idea if they were even made).

Consider the budget this got made with... I was impressed with how many characters and how much of the story was included, if this was a box-office hollywood production it would have been so much more stripped back.

I for one am really glad that someone had the balls to put out such an independent production - I don't believe we will ever see a production of Dragonlance any bigger than this - and I really hope they continue with the series (and the 2nd trilogy!).
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  12:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums Jarod.
And I feel your pain about those graphic novels! I read the first book of Bone as a kid, and only got to finish it this past year! Worth the wait.

As for a second part of the film, I feel the same way. Can't wait to see another!

"Hey dad, my friends got some new ninja swords. Is it cool if we slash up this place?" -Everybody Get Dangerous, Red Album, Weezer
Go to Top of Page

gnimsh
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  15:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok as a diehard DL reader I have sat and read all these posts concerning the DOAT movie and the possibility of the DOWN movie. granted The Chronicles and The Legends trilogies are the best by far so therefore they cant't stop with DOAT. Now my isues with the movie ( other than the shotty animation ) is of course the lack of time needed to tell the story better and lack of feel to the voices. Now I know the war in itself is enough to keep the story going but, (if u have really read the books ) the most important character was left out. Of course he wasnt introduced til the end of the book damn near he was mentioned shortly after the halfway point. So why wasn't he in the movie. He is the key character in this series. Yes, I speak of the GREEN GEMSTONE MAN. Are they just goin to wait til they meet him on the ship as the helmsman when they leave the town of Flotsam cuz that is almost the end of a second book. I just think it would have been a good idea to go ahead and put the one who will determine the outcome of the war in our minds from the beginning as was in the books.

"Hope is the denial of reality.
it is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." RAISTLIN MAJERE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000