Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

elvish lad

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  18:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they actually making Dragons of a Winter Night
into animation movie or is no one bothering to and leaving us
with just one film to watch over and over again?

"Allonsey"- The Doctor
"He Who Dares, Wins"- Del Boy
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  01:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do ya mean the story wasnt affected? The story was trashed As for a second movie I couldnt care less

"If Edward is a boy why does he sparkle like a princess in a tyara?"(SNL)

"Stepheanie Meyer's Edward and friends are NOT vampires. They are Sparklepire's" (SatyrPhil Brucato, writer for Realms of Fantasy mag)
Go to Top of Page

Namaridikai
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tonkatough

Um, I can see a bit of a dilemma happening with the DOWN cartoon.

So okay lets say they go ahead and do it. What should they do? please the fans and try to make script faithful to book or to keep it consistant with first cartoon?

I'll give you an example. Tasslehoff. My most favourite character. In the books he has no fear response to anything and an endless sense of wonder and naive to the point where he is about as smart as a doorknob.

Yet in the movie he just comes across as a hip, smart arse punk which is just bullshit and the voice acting and dialouge was just not Tas.

(Prancing around like a little sissy screaming MONKS! MONKS! MONKS! with fear in his voice. Yeah that's so like the Tas we all know and adore for twenty years. Give me a break)

So should they please the fans and stuff up continuity between two cartoons and give us the real Tas or just keep the smart arse punk Tas already established so as not to cause confusion with the non fans?

I would suggest, considering the sales for DVD have been good, scrap the first effort, scrap the original production team including the authors and Big name B-grade actors and start afresh with a new and improved DOAT cartoon and take it from there.

Nuff said so. ok umm tonkatough if they made a second one when will the dang thing come out they should be popping them out like lord of the rings! better profit and i agree with the fresh start and more attention to the original character personalities. but how far would the series go! there are at least 18 to 25 different books that tackle all of the adventures they faced in bringing Takhisis down.

Don't F*** with my truck!

Go to Top of Page

Ralecus
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  17:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make the next movie already. The first one was fine. Most of the characters were great. Fizban, Tanis, Caramon, Raistlin, Paladine, Takhisis...and Verminaard and his badass mace was right on. Has there ever been a movie that's better than the book? In books each story is individual to the reader and their own imagination.

The dragonlance story ruined Lord of the rings for me because I read dragonlance first, and Lord of the Rings just didn't compare. And the movies also bored me to death. Even with the poorer quality and voice acting of the Dragonlance movie, it moved me more and brought me back 15 years to when I read the books.

Keep it animated, live action ruins fantasy stories..like 'The Last Airbender'. A great series and story, but an awful movie that should not and probalby never will have the sequals made.

While the animation seemed like old He-Man technology mixed with some poor 3D CGI the characters and story overshadowed that for me. Hell it was better than the live action Dungeons & Dragons movie which I saw in theatres and thought it was completely dissapointing and will never re-watch. And at the time I was an avid AD&D player of 1st and 2nd edition. So for a movie with some of the most powerful artifacts and beasts, it wasn't even awesome at all.

So make the movie before it's too late and your story is forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  23:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great? Raistlins voice was done horribly I want to stab Kiefer Sutherland in the face and the idiot that cast him. The voice was too strong and no where near to what Raists voice should have been. And I guess you didnt notice that they cut out EVERYTHING practicly and at one point Sturm has four arms and four legs and half of Tanis`s beard vanishes and comes back. It was a shit low budget animated pile of crap.

Live action reguvinated the Lord of the Rings so now it is more popular then ever. With the right director and a propper budget the same could happen for DL. The Last Airbender was the victem of a bad director thats all that happened and possibly the wrong choice of actors. DL could be the most epic movies ever if they are done right the way LoR was.

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

Ralecus
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  14:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) I said fine not great. And I think Raistlin is words on paper and has no physical voice. At least someone still cares. Lord of the Rings is epic, but to me it's a bore fest. I suppose to put myself in the shoes of someone that doesn't know the DL story, the movie would be hard to watch. But I still think it was fine, I knew the story would be changed. There is no focus on what Raistlin is going through and it upsets me to ignore the development of that major of a character. You can tell it was made for fans where LOTR was made for everyone :(

But I'm a fan so let's get moving and make the next movie :) at least you can't dissapoint me.
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  05:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Namaridikai

quote:
Originally posted by tonkatough

Um, I can see a bit of a dilemma happening with the DOWN cartoon.

So okay lets say they go ahead and do it. What should they do? please the fans and try to make script faithful to book or to keep it consistant with first cartoon?

I'll give you an example. Tasslehoff. My most favourite character. In the books he has no fear response to anything and an endless sense of wonder and naive to the point where he is about as smart as a doorknob.

Yet in the movie he just comes across as a hip, smart arse punk which is just bullshit and the voice acting and dialouge was just not Tas.

(Prancing around like a little sissy screaming MONKS! MONKS! MONKS! with fear in his voice. Yeah that's so like the Tas we all know and adore for twenty years. Give me a break)

So should they please the fans and stuff up continuity between two cartoons and give us the real Tas or just keep the smart arse punk Tas already established so as not to cause confusion with the non fans?

I would suggest, considering the sales for DVD have been good, scrap the first effort, scrap the original production team including the authors and Big name B-grade actors and start afresh with a new and improved DOAT cartoon and take it from there.

Nuff said so. ok umm tonkatough if they made a second one when will the dang thing come out they should be popping them out like lord of the rings! better profit and i agree with the fresh start and more attention to the original character personalities. but how far would the series go! there are at least 18 to 25 different books that tackle all of the adventures they faced in bringing Takhisis down.

Don't F*** with my truck!

Is that you tonkatough? Long time no hear buddy! How ya been?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-

Edited by - Fizban Who on 11 Dec 2012 05:22:47
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  06:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His voice is discribed many times in the books as behing a wisper and I think that is the way that many people expect his voice to be. A sick man that coughs up blood would not sound like Kiefer Sutherland. LOTR was also made for the fans what reason would there before makeing that movie if it was not in part at least directed toward the large fan base that would create the large audiences? I am a fan too obviously and I was extreemly disapointed.

Go to Top of Page

merlin the wizard
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i want see brass dragons vs blue dragons and red dragons vs white dragons vs silver dragons in dragons of winter night

merlin the wizard
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  05:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything would be an inpovement I suppose because they cant possibly make a second one that is any worse.

Go to Top of Page

Kriptickilla
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  14:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went through all the posts on this form for DOWN.. and while interesting, entertaining, and a very wide range of thoughts and perspectives. I'd just like to know one thing which I believe is the true million dollar question.. That question being; this movie came out in 08, an that's what year these first posts are from... an I noticed the post go through the time line to the end of last year.. an no one has posted anything since... so the question is are they ever or even plan to make DOWN the movie??? I mean even if they keep it the same style cartoon, I'd love to watch it and I know I'm not the only fans that wants this... Where is it?? I need to see it in movie format guys... and there isn't even a idea of when or how or who or why if/it/will be made... that makes me very sad so if anyone know anything about the DOWN movie please reply, if you don't reply anyway please lol..
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  18:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was simply nothing left to say about this that is why there have been no other comments. As for the next movie if it hasn't been put out yet chances are there isn't going to be one. And good riddance as far as I am concerned.

Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I kinda have to agree with DM. If they're ever going to do another one, it had better be something high quality that does the story justice.
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  07:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly