Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  23:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, lots of other movie franchises (Batman, Hulk) are starting over from scratch, so why not Dragonlance?

Go to Top of Page

Avionis
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  19:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed and the new bat man and hulk both wher way way way better that the previous versions and the garphics for the hulk blew the last version away i would prefer they do tha same to the dragonlance movies and hopefully if they widen the fan base enuf and bring in enuf revenue so they can make the twins movies and the 2nd generation movies and possibly the meeting sextet and others i believe who ever can make a good DL movie set has endless possibilites for the rest of the DL books as movies i even had the dream when i was a few years younger of becoming a producer or director and the DL series being the movies i helped create
Go to Top of Page

Avionis
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  18:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As to the cast list posted on janurary 6th ithink Jason Stathem as Caramon is a little out of place hes too small Batista on the other hand i believe would make a great Caramon and all Matthew could pull off for tanis is the look if he dyed his hair his voice just dosent match
Go to Top of Page

PalinMajere
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  07:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they make a animated movie for this....i loved the first movie and i cant wait for the next book to be translated...i would like for them to keep the same voice cast...but i wont be to surprised if they dont...just give me more of my favorite characters..i will take them in any form possible
Go to Top of Page

Qasar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  07:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see a few posts on here from so called "long term" Dragonlance fans putting down the movie. I'm 100% certain they speak for the minority.
Its always the minority who speak with a loud and negative voice. They shouldn't be confused with the majority.

I loved the movie personally. I'm sure thousands or millions of other viewers (DL and D&D fans included) will enjoy this movie also. Superb voice acting, fantastic action for an animated movie, great soundtrack, fluid screenplay... what more could one ask for.

Cant wait to see Dragons of Winter Night and more...

Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qasar

I see a few posts on here from so called "long term" Dragonlance fans putting down the movie. I'm 100% certain they speak for the minority.
Its always the minority who speak with a loud and negative voice. They shouldn't be confused with the majority.

I loved the movie personally. I'm sure thousands or millions of other viewers (DL and D&D fans included) will enjoy this movie also. Superb voice acting, fantastic action for an animated movie, great soundtrack, fluid screenplay... what more could one ask for.

Cant wait to see Dragons of Winter Night and more...

Thank you for your post and welcome. I have been reading DL for over 15 years. They are my first real exposure to the fantasy genre (apart from the Hobbit and D&D cartoons, and Dragonslayer). I hold them dear to my heart. Due to my love of this series, I can still find something that I like about the DOAT cartoon.

However, personal and biased feelings about DL aside, the film itself, as a whole, is not good. I do not mean to be offensively harsh to the people who developed the film, but for me to tell them, "Great job folks, please make another the same way!" without first hearing negative criticism is not going to help anyone. I think you need to take the negative and then turn it into a positive. You can't sugar coat things to make people feel better. It doesn't always make things "sweeter".

I understand that I am just one opinion. My negative remarks may not influence others in a positive way. But if I lie to myself in order to appease someone else or out of fear of hurting feelings, then justice fails.

Et tu, Brute?
Go to Top of Page

Qasar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  19:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Simply voicing my overall experience with the movie. I and my wife enjoyed the movie as I am sure many others have and will do too.

If someone is happy with a movie, why would one feel a "determined" need to post feedback at all? Negative feedback almost "always" professes to speak for the whole, where in reality it isn't even speaking for the majority. Hence my point.

A straight out negative attack (or flame) on something is not worth repeating, especially when it is inconsiderate, inexperienced (childish) and does not review the whole effort and intention involved. Thus I will not respond to the negative threads I am referring to.

Let me ask you this. How many successful (believable) movies have there been whereby a "complete" film -live action intended script is presented with animation as opposed to live action?

Before posting, I read some of the posts on here and found amateur unprofessional attacks on the love and labor of many.

Positive constructive criticism may help the movie makers, but simply pointing out negative experience helps no one and is unappreciative.

The movie producers obviously put a lot of heart and time and organization and money into making this movie for (a balance of) fans and soon to be fans. One cant simply criticize that effort without at least producing a similar result first themselves. Ask yourself this, how many Animated movies have you made or funded for a worldwide audience?

There has been a hole in D&D animation for a long time. For the first "true to D&D" movie ever, one couldn't hope for more. The animated movie Dragons of Autumn Twilight gets my vote, 10 out of 10!
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  19:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to respectfully disagree.

You don't have to be a producer, director, or animator to have an opinion of a movie.

While a majority of the negative feedback has been posted by trolls, there are plenty of negative posts that were constructive and well thought out.

With respect to the director and animators (in particular the animators), if they put their heart and soul into this project, it is suggested that they go back and study to learn more and apply better techniques to the next film (if there is one).

While I gave the movie a positive review, it was still a disappointment for many and fell seriously short in the animation department.

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  21:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen Slorg

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it does it still make a sound?
Go to Top of Page

Qasar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  18:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have proved my point Slorg.

My advice is get your head out of the sand, and read between the lines. Don't miss quote people with an obvious intention to start and argument.

My point was: Trashing something without first hand experience with it only shows ignorance and childish behavior and most importantly inconsideration and rudeness.

If it were up to me I wouldn't make a movie for people that only offer negative feedback, you don't deserve it.

Offer something positive or go and make someone else feel bad. Don't trash a movie that others enjoy with nitpicking and slander.

I love this movie and I know others have and will do. Nothing you can say will change that.

Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you serious? You can't have a negative opinion of something unless you are in the movie industry? That is ridiculous. If we didn't offer negative criticism, then how would they know that we don't like it. Hopefully, they have read the criticisms (positive and negative), parsed the wheat from the chaff and will make a better movie.

The movie was poorly made. The voice acting was subpar, except with a few being good. The animation was HORRIBLE. And they took a book that was intended to be two books (was actually separated into two inside of the book actually) and turned it into a 90 minute movie. What is worse than all of that, they didn't even tell the story correctly.

Besides, all of this belongs in the positive feedback thread.

Check out my fanfic on Lucius' and Arial's romance at the following link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4658602/1/We_Met_at_the_Inn_of_the_Last_Home
Go to Top of Page

hopedenial
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  18:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"the first movie was well done and your (sic) not gonna get much closer then (sic) that"

Wow. Which movie were you watching? The animation sucked... They skipped some of the greatest scenes from the book (Tas as a giant wicker dragon anyone?) Not to mention Kiefer Sutherland's dry and uninspired delivery of Raistlin's words and voice... Oh... And Weis and Hickman had next to nothing to do with the film adaptation... All I can say is that I dug Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum) as Tanis.

If I had seen the movie without haveing already been a fan of the source material I would have been unimpressed and a little confused.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  20:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Qasar, I felt that you started an argument by calling some on here so called "long term" Dragonlance fans the minority, who speak with loud and negative feedback. That could be considered an "attack" by someone on the outside looking in.

What’s wrong with starting an argument? It is not always a negative thing. It is difference of opinion, and that's the beauty of expression. You, on one hand, feel that this movie deserves a 10 out of 10. That's fine. You're entitled to state that, and even though it's a very "trollish" thing to say, (I say that because you felt the need to point out those people who like to comment on things without granting us paragraphs of insight in order to back up their educated opinion), I still applaud you believing in this film. Please Note: I am not asking for a dissertation on all the positives of this movie, it is enough for me to know that you enjoy it without any negativity, and besides, I am a big fan of glib straw man comments, since that’s how I usually like to post. Who has time to write long winded posts? I have better things to do with my time, yet I feel that I‘m headed down that road now and it‘s too late to stop…

I, on the other hand, would give the movie a 3 out of 10. And I feel that I'm being generous, because 2 out of those 3 points are due to the long term and pre-established love I bear this series. To see the characters that I grew up with come to life, witness a mostly faithful rendition of the plot (albeit condensed, but they didn't alter too much of the existing), and hear the truly beautiful score, are what I find to be the films only saving grace(s). If I have kids, then I'm pretty sure they'd give it a higher score because that‘s what kids do. They watch what’s on television, they do not analyze it. It’s quite possible that I would even give it a higher score upon seeing their delight and the joy it would bring.

I have in my lifetime attempted to obtain every DL book ever made because I feel that they are some of the best adolescent novels out there in the fantasy genre. Some of them I just could not read in it's entirety due to the absurdness of the story and how poorly written they are. This in no way tarnishes my feelings towards DL. I understand that different authors write differently. I can read Weis and Hickman, yet I can not read Jean Rabe. Just like with music, you may love the debut album of an artist and then loathe the sophomore effort. But overall, you find yourself still liking the artist as a “whole“.

You need not like everything about something just because you are passionate about it. I think that goes without stating it, yet I feel the need to now in order to defend the minority.

Et tu, Brute?
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  21:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally attacking anyone who has an opinion other than yours is called "Flaming".

You can have a discussion about differences of opinion without flaming. If you choose to disregard common decency, you will be removed from the forum.

It's as simple as that.

If you've been reading the forums for a long time as you stated, then you will already be aware of this fact.

Go to Top of Page

Qasar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  01:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologise if anyone has miss-understood my intentions.

I did not post on here to attack anyone.
I simply feel the movie makers deserve more credit and encouragement.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000