Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  18:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qasar

I see a few posts on here from so called "long term" Dragonlance fans putting down the movie. I'm 100% certain they speak for the minority.
Its always the minority who speak with a loud and negative voice. They shouldn't be confused with the majority.
...edit ....(tw)

Qasar, It is good to see new blood and love out and about. I do agree here with this statement, provisionally. I find that in life (movies, books, work, etc.) it is the negative people that speak up more often and louder. I have several people at work who aren't happy unless they are yelling about something to anyone in earshot. I got the same feeling here that the majority of people complaining were trying to stir the pot or just make themselves feel important. Those of us that want to say something pro-"subject" are usually succinct and then blasted for that. It is too easy to bash, where encouragement is harder to do (that's the teacher in me talking)

There are others who can and do articulate their displeasure and criticisms in an appropriate way (example: V.D. is excellent at that when he isn't talking about his man-crush, Burt) Those are the people that are fun to argue with 'cause they don't resort to the "you suck..." comeback. You'll never convince them of the "errors" in their ways, but you'll still be friends at the end and have a beer.

On this site, if you want to take anyone serious, pro or con, check the number of posts. Any one over, say, 100 - 200 posts have been around long enough to get a good name and not be banned for trolling/flaming. If a person has less than that, you can take anything inflammatory that they say with a grain of salt. Otherwise you'll be just getting into a conversation with someone who is trying to be, as you said, "childish".

But, that is just MHO.

Stick around a continue to contribute

So...It's the old-steal-the-horse-bit again is it?
All right, let's do it...if we have to.

Mr. Horse

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.

Go to Top of Page

kender
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  15:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, it's been a long while since I posted. I just got out of a coma from watching the movie (the shock was too much). anyway, I came on here to see if anything was new with the DL series. From reading the previous posts, I believe that whomever is going to direct and act in the next toon, or movie, should be required too ACTUALLY READ THE BOOKS. That's all I have for now. The doctors are telling me too take it slow.

KEN

there's nothing more dangerous, than a bored Kender.
Go to Top of Page

shevaa
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just started reading the posts here to find out if there would be a second movie made. First off I am a huge DL fan like most of you are and I agree the movie didn't do justice to what we all expected, but then I think back to when I was younger and remember that a long time ago someone made the Hobbit into a cartoon movie as well and it sucked and was laughable and every fan of the book hated it. Several years later they made LOTR and it was such a success they are making the Hobbit. Just goes to show there is still hope yet for DL. Also on a side note another set of Weis Hickman books I would love to see made into movies is the Deathgate Cycle....another awesome set of books from these two.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deathgate could be a good movie, given the right budget and studio.

Go to Top of Page

pumba
Starting Member

United Arab Emirates
1 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  19:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look ok i am a DL fan aswell. but the question is, Are they going to make the 2nd book into a movie?
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, there is no indication one way or the other yet, pumba.

Check out my fanfic on Lucius' and Arial's romance at the following link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4658602/1/We_Met_at_the_Inn_of_the_Last_Home
Go to Top of Page

xmen510

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a long time since I posted on here. Came in to see if there was any news on the 2nd one being adapted as of yet. No news yet from what I have read.

Well, it ws nice to pop in and see some of you guys again!

You learn something new every day.
Go to Top of Page

basementgeek
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a rabid fan of D&D and DL, I watched DoAT with some trepidation, having been disappointed by the many Marvel movie adaptations in the past. I was fairly disappointed in this one, as well.

While the movie was entertaining, in general (especially to someone who hasn't read the DL series), the complete product left much to be desired. The animation reminded me of a budget version of The Last Unicorn (an animated movie I like very much), mixed with the very series the director was known to have made during the 1990's, Captain Planet. The vocal talents were almost wooden, like the actors were just reading lines and not emphasizing the emotions behind the words. To be honest, the voices seemed like those found in a high school production of Shakespeare. The cut scenes were a minor issue, considering the budgetary limitations and how much it costs to produce a minute of animated film, but it still seemed like a loss to the overall flavor of the movie.

Now I understand that the people involved with this movie worked hard to get it made in time and under budget. No faulting the animators, as they were chosen for their particular styles and qualities of animation. The writers were chosen and their script approved. The vocal score was recorded and approved. The fault seems to lie in both the lack of enough money, and the choices made by the top brass (the director and producers).

I, for one, would love to see another movie made of the DL series, but maybe with a different director and different animation studio. The actors can be made to rerecord their lines if they don't get them right, thereby improving the emotional quality. As for the budget, maybe we DL fans can pass the hat and offer the new movie crew a bonus they could use to make improvements.

It's worth a thought.

P.S. - Also, to be brutally honest, no book-to-movie adaptation will ever be 100% faithful, as we'd end up with something the length of an audiobook. While I might be willing to sit through 6 1/2 hours of Roger Zelazny's This Immortal, I highly doubt very many other people would be as enthusiastic.

Edited by - basementgeek on 21 Jun 2009 21:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by basementgeek

As a rabid fan of D&D and DL, I watched DoAT with some trepidation, having been disappointed by the many Marvel movie adaptations in the past. I was fairly disappointed in this one, as well.

While the movie was entertaining, in general (especially to someone who hasn't read the DL series), the complete product left much to be desired. The animation reminded me of a budget version of The Last Unicorn (an animated movie I like very much), mixed with the very series the director was known to have made during the 1990's, Captain Planet. The vocal talents were almost wooden, like the actors were just reading lines and not emphasizing the emotions behind the words. To be honest, the voices seemed like those found in a high school production of Shakespeare. The cut scenes were a minor issue, considering the budgetary limitations and how much it costs to produce a minute of animated film, but it still seemed like a loss to the overall flavor of the movie.

Now I understand that the people involved with this movie worked hard to get it made in time and under budget. No faulting the animators, as they were chosen for their particular styles and qualities of animation. The writers were chosen and their script approved. The vocal score was recorded and approved. The fault seems to lie in both the lack of enough money, and the choices made by the top brass (the director and producers).

I, for one, would love to see another movie made of the DL series, but maybe with a different director and different animation studio. The actors can be made to rerecord their lines if they don't get them right, thereby improving the emotional quality. As for the budget, maybe we DL fans can pass the hat and offer the new movie crew a bonus they could use to make improvements.

It's worth a thought.

P.S. - Also, to be brutally honest, no book-to-movie adaptation will ever be 100% faithful, as we'd end up with something the length of an audiobook. While I might be willing to sit through 6 1/2 hours of Roger Zelazny's This Immortal, I highly doubt very many other people would be as enthusiastic.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

Go to Top of Page

DeathKnight
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  18:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tw_fester

quote:
Originally posted by Qasar

I see a few posts on here from so called "long term" Dragonlance fans putting down the movie. I'm 100% certain they speak for the minority.
Its always the minority who speak with a loud and negative voice. They shouldn't be confused with the majority.
...edit ....(tw)

Qasar, It is good to see new blood and love out and about. I do agree here with this statement, provisionally. I find that in life (movies, books, work, etc.) it is the negative people that speak up more often and louder. I have several people at work who aren't happy unless they are yelling about something to anyone in earshot. I got the same feeling here that the majority of people complaining were trying to stir the pot or just make themselves feel important. Those of us that want to say something pro-"subject" are usually succinct and then blasted for that. It is too easy to bash, where encouragement is harder to do (that's the teacher in me talking)

There are others who can and do articulate their displeasure and criticisms in an appropriate way (example: V.D. is excellent at that when he isn't talking about his man-crush, Burt) Those are the people that are fun to argue with 'cause they don't resort to the "you suck..." comeback. You'll never convince them of the "errors" in their ways, but you'll still be friends at the end and have a beer.

On this site, if you want to take anyone serious, pro or con, check the number of posts. Any one over, say, 100 - 200 posts have been around long enough to get a good name and not be banned for trolling/flaming. If a person has less than that, you can take anything inflammatory that they say with a grain of salt. Otherwise you'll be just getting into a conversation with someone who is trying to be, as you said, "childish".

But, that is just MHO.

Stick around a continue to contribute

So...It's the old-steal-the-horse-bit again is it?
All right, let's do it...if we have to.

Mr. Horse

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.

well now thats B.S. i just found the site because i wanted to know when the next movie came out..not because the first one was good beacuse it wasn't and not beacuse it didn't follow the books exactly (even lotr didn't follow the books exactly)i wanted to give them another shot i will not buy the DVD this time untill after i rented it and i've had these books since they first came out this just wasn't any good i tried to say something positive about it but just could think of anything even started to re-watch it to see if i missed something just could set thrue it again.and i've re-read these books at least a dozen times have two copies of everyone of them.have every dnd module and the game so why couldn't i set thru it again??tell me one thing that was good about the movie other than it got made just one

Edited by - DeathKnight on 20 Jul 2009 18:18:36
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  17:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
um...huhn??
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That kind of sort of made no sense at all...

Go to Top of Page

sprite
Starting Member

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just lurking, as always, but I had to come out of the "woodwork" to say it:

I think the point you were making to Qasar (which was an excellent one, btw) may have just been made for you, tw...

"Huh" is right!
Go to Top of Page

Krondax_Drakhien
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  09:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... Kender can post? Just kidding

anyway, I found this site while trying to find out if they were going to make a Winter Night movie. yup, still no news..

However, i will say, having read the original books multiple times, I was actually let down by this movie. it just seemed to me, like it was lacking in depth. And I agree from some earlier posts that Tas just didnt seem like Tas to me.

I do like though how they made Riverwind look more like a plainsman than a barbarian, seeing as how the book kinda referred to him as both, but i thought that the book described riverwind of looking more like a viking than a native american... just my thoughts though, as it has been a few years since i read AT, and the books are about 7 thousand miles away from me. (im currently in iraq)

the animation was alright.. reminded me of Heavy Metal 2000's animation actually. a lot like it.

hopefully if, or better yet, when, they decide to do a 2nd movie, they revamp the chars just a little, especially tas.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  22:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My big question is though, why the rush for the first movie anyway? It's not like the fans were beating down doors in order to get one. And if we did have one, we were willing to wait until they made one. (unless the director pulled a James Cameron and started making other movies instead of the one he said he was working on.) I hate to be cynical but it really was little more than a money-making scheme on the studio's part. They wanted to make a quick buck from a fanbase that was willing to pay up. If they wanted to keep the budget low, they should have hired have hired more veteran voice actors rather than big names in order to sucker fans in. The studio obviously didn't respect the creators at all. (not that they do normally, but whatever.)

If they make a sequel, I want them to TAKE THEIR TIME in order to make the best product they can, or get people who are good working under such a short timeframe. Shipping the animation out to an untried Indian studio that had never worked on a feature film is not a good indicator of quality.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000