Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

joe
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When will the decision be made to continue on with the next dragonlance movie(ie: Dragons of Winter Night)? I hope that when a decision is made, that they consider using a different animation studio. I can live with the changes becuase it really doesnt affect the story line. But the animation...YUCK....

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  22:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, I can see a bit of a dilemma happening with the DOWN cartoon.

So okay lets say they go ahead and do it. What should they do? please the fans and try to make script faithful to book or to keep it consistant with first cartoon?

I'll give you an example. Tasslehoff. My most favourite character. In the books he has no fear response to anything and an endless sense of wonder and naive to the point where he is about as smart as a doorknob.

Yet in the movie he just comes across as a hip, smart arse punk which is just bullshit and the voice acting and dialouge was just not Tas.

(Prancing around like a little sissy screaming MONKS! MONKS! MONKS! with fear in his voice. Yeah that's so like the Tas we all know and adore for twenty years. Give me a break)

So should they please the fans and stuff up continuity between two cartoons and give us the real Tas or just keep the smart arse punk Tas already established so as not to cause confusion with the non fans?

I would suggest, considering the sales for DVD have been good, scrap the first effort, scrap the original production team including the authors and Big name B-grade actors and start afresh with a new and improved DOAT cartoon and take it from there.

Nuff said so.

Don't F*** with my truck!

Edited by - tonkatough on 01 Feb 2008 22:13:19
Go to Top of Page

eldritch44
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  00:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLAH, your just another DL fans that wants everything to be perfectly like the book! Its not gonna happen! I still say the first movie was well done and your not gonna get much closer then that. Name one movie that was 100% like the book?? And as for Tas, he acted childish, which is how he was described in the book......

January 20, 2009 - The end of an error
Go to Top of Page

Carabas
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  07:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritch44

BLAH, your just another DL fans that wants everything to be perfectly like the book! Its not gonna happen! I still say the first movie was well done and your not gonna get much closer then that. Name one movie that was 100% like the book?? And as for Tas, he acted childish, which is how he was described in the book......

Wait... you don't want everything to be "perfectly like the book"?

As for not being able to get closer: bull-hockey. Of course they can get closer than that. No, they will most likely not get to 100% accuracy, but 25% is not enough.

Quidquid Latinae dictum sit, altum viditur.

Those who live by the sword may get shot by those who don't.
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  12:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a second film does get made, I think the producers will have learned from their mistakes. They have been fairly envolved in these boards, and are getting feed back from us. If they choose to learn from it, then awesome. If not, then I may not buy the next film. I know that I will not be pre ordering the next one thats for sure.

I just really want them to take the time to do the next film right. The character designs in this film were not bad at all. I liked all of them. But the way they spoke (ie: the tone of their voices) was lacking the richness and emotion I pictured when reading the books. Also they have to improve how everything moves. Some action scenes were OK, but the majority of them were horrible. And for god's sake, stay away from copy paste draconians and dragons! I liked the clip of the Blues at the end of the film, and would like to see more animation like that in the film.

last thing. Give Tas his hoopak.

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?
—Favorite kender expression, Dragons of Winter Night
Go to Top of Page

Kube
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  21:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I am hoping they make the DOWN, the way their PR machine is working they will let us know after it is already released.

I wonder if they will be able to get the same actors in the next movie. It's like an A-Team episode, first you have to spring Keifer out of jail and convince him to do it again (usually involving guns)
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  22:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kube

I wonder if they will be able to get the same actors in the next movie. It's like an A-Team episode, first you have to spring Keifer out of jail and convince him to do it again (usually involving guns)

That's got SIG written all over it! LOL. Very good.

Respectfully submitted,
Fistandscanndalus
(The poster formerly known as Scanndalus)

Rules to live by:
Rule #1
Sirch is always right

Rule #2
If Sirch is ever wrong, please refer back to Rule #1
Go to Top of Page

anya
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  01:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just saw the first DOAT movie and i have to say, though it was not as i would have done the movie, but it was still a very good adaptation of the first book.

as for it being 100% like the book, well it was not and we have to live with it.

now when they do the second book(and they will) i am sure they will follow the first movie and not the book.

i say this because i have worked in hollywired over years doing mostly extra work and both directors and producers try to follow what they think will work.

however;

if they scrap the first effort, scrap the original production team including the authors and big name b-grade actors and start afresh with a new and improved DOAT and take it from there.

i would wager that they would go from cartoon to cgi to give it more realism in both action and with the way things look and feel.

also, if they go that route, then they should have the voice actors read each book before they are needed to put their voices to the film.

as for the actors, well lets have a poll as to who is the voice for whom.

let me start:

CAST(Dragons of Autumn Twilight)
Tanis Half-Elven..................Matthew McConaughey
Sturm Brightblade................Dennis Quaid
Raistlin Majere....................Kiefer Sutherland
Caramon Majere..................Jason Statham
Flint Fireforge.....................John Rhys-Davies
Tasslehoff Burrfoot..............Ryan Reynolds
Riverwind...........................James Marsden
Goldmoon...........................Rachel Weisz
Laurana Kanan....................Jessica Alba
Gilthanas Kanan..................Jack Black
Porthios Kanan....................Eric Bana
Solostaran Kanan................George Clooney
Fizban...............................Woody Harrelson
Tika Waylan........................Paris Hilton
Forestmaster.......................Michael Caine
Verminaard..........................Thomas Haden Church
Ember.................................Diane Keaton
Flamestrike..........................Diane Lane
Eben..................................Jason Bateman
Bupu..................................Kristin Davis
Khisanth.............................Gwyneth Paltrow,
Paladine.............................Samuel L. Jackson
Takhisis..............................Lucy Lawless
Mishakal..............................Liv Tyler
Kitiara................................Jennifer Garner

Produced & Directed by.........Ridley Scott & Tony Scott

you can agree or not, but post your own cast and the Producer & Director for the movie

whats meant to be will always find a way

Edited by - anya on 05 Feb 2008 02:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  02:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anya

i just saw the first DOAT movie and i have to say, though it was not as i would have done the movie, but it was still a very good adaptation of the first book.

as for it being 100% like the book, well it was not and we have to live with it.

now when they do the second book(and they will) i am sure they will follow the first movie and not the book.

i say this because i have worked in hollywired over years doing mostly extra work and both directors and producers try to follow what they think will work.

however;

if they scrap the first effort, scrap the original production team including the authors and big name b-grade actors and start afresh with a new and improved DOAT and take it from there.

i would wager that they would go from cartoon to cgi to give it more realism in both action and with the way things look and feel.

also, if they go that route, then they should have the voice actors read each book before they are needed to put their voices to the film.

let me start:

Sturm Brightblade.................Dennis Quaid
Raistlin Majere...................Kiefer Sutherland
Caramon Majere....................Jason Statham
Flint Fireforge...................John Rhys-Davies
Tasslehoff Burrfoot...............Ryan Reynolds
Riverwind.........................James Marsden
Goldmoon..........................Rachel Weisz
Laurana Kanan.....................Jessica Alba
Gilthanas Kanan...................Jack Black
Solostaran Kanan..................George Clooney
Fizban............................Woody Harrelson
Tika Waylan.......................Paris Hilton
Forestmaster......................Michael Caine
Verminaard........................Thomas Haden Church
Ember.............................Diane Keaton
Flamestrike.......................Diane Lane
Eben..............................Jason Bateman
Bupu..............................Kristin Davis
Khisanth..........................Gwyneth Paltrow,
Paladine..........................Samuel L. Jackson
Takhisis..........................Lucy Lawless
Mishakal..........................Liv Tyler
Kitiara...........................Jennifer Garner

Produced & Directed by............Ridley & Tony Scott

you can agree or not, but post your own cast and the Producer & Director for the movie

Welcome to the forums anya.

Your post is fine but there is a casting forum here that you should visit.

Anyone else who wants to post casts for the movie should also visit it.

-----
If you have a problem with a user send me an email in my profile.
Go to Top of Page

mrs shadewest
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's better for them to not make it. I've lurked these forums for awhile now, but just joined tonight. I've seen a lot of posts written by people who were hoping for Lord of the Ring's quality with this series. I don't like to compare what LOTR ended up being to what these movies could have been, but I will say the biggest reason why the LOTR trilogy ended up being a masterpiece is because they had a cast and a crew that cared about the story, unlike here. DOWN is full of raw emotion. It's a very sad story, but this production team has proven they don't care about capturing the emotion involved when Laurana grows up, when Tas starts to lose his immunity to fear, when Sturm dies, and Laurana's speech at his funeral. So leave the rest of the trilogy be.
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  12:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sturm doesn't die in this book. Nor does Tas loose his immunity to fear.
As for this film meeting the LOTR standard. I think it fell just shy of the animated version's standard. And it just isn't fair to compare live action to cartoon.

"James, get the F**K out of my office! Those eyes creep me the heck out!" - My boss on halloween

Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  14:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james

And it just isn't fair to compare live action to cartoon.

Or a multi-million dollar project with a 1.5 million dollar attempt. Those responsible for this movie had both of their hands tied behind their backs before they even started, and for that, I'm a little bit more lenient on my critiquing this movie, than say one of those holy and virtuous turds that Peter Jackson made with New Line's cash flow.
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  16:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey what about that natorious kissy kissy scene between Laurana and Elistan. I mean Lordy lord what where they thinking? You really want to see a continuation of that in the next movie cause they can't just leave it hanging.

Where would the script writer have taken that subplot?

Have more kiss kiss action, old white beard and Laurana Hilton fall deeply in love and start groping each other and feeding each other their tounges.

The conclusion of the plot is that Elistan shaves off his beard and Laurana realize that she never loved Elistan only his beard cause it remind her of Tanis and so she runs off to find her true bearded love.

Every time I think of this DL cartoon I can't help but shake my head in wonderment at the sheer stupidity of it.

Oh yeah I still do agree with james that the basic design of main characters and dragons are good but there is a bit of room for improvement.

Don't F*** with my truck!

Edited by - tonkatough on 13 Feb 2008 16:33:14
Go to Top of Page

Lamassu

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  16:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tonkatough

Hey what about that natorious kissy kissy scene between Laurana and Elistan. I mean Lordy lord what where they thinking? You really want to see a continuation of that in the next movie cause they can't just leave it hanging.

*sigh*, You got a point with that one, I don't see why they had to have the two kissing, just like I don't know why they had to go all "chronicles of narnia" with the theme of the script. I understand Tracy's a religious man, but it was nowhere near as blatant in the book as it is in the movie. The movie's not perfect, but then again, name one that is... besides 'Groundhogs Day' Anyway, I have to have closure, ah needs closure, even with a subpar movie trilogy like this one.
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  17:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that will be the end of the kissing. Lauarana was drawn to him because of his leadership qualities, and possibly the beard, but she is still very much in love with Tanis. I'm sure Elistan is just a fling and she will see the errors of her ways.
But in the big picture I think it is an easy way for the viewers to see why Tanis is jealous of their relationship. It saves going into all the subtext that they have in the books...

Go to Top of Page

wells
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  11:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anya

however;

let me start:

Sturm Brightblade................Dennis Quaid
Raistlin Majere....................Kiefer Sutherland
Caramon Majere..................Jason Statham
Flint Fireforge.....................John Rhys-Davies
Tasslehoff Burrfoot..............Ryan Reynolds
Riverwind...........................James Marsden
Goldmoon...........................Rachel Weisz
Laurana Kanan....................Jessica Alba
Gilthanas Kanan..................Jack Black
Solostaran Kanan................George Clooney
Fizban...............................Woody Harrelson
Tika Waylan........................Paris Hilton
Forestmaster.......................Michael Caine
Verminaard..........................Thomas Haden Church
Ember.................................Diane Keaton
Flamestrike..........................Diane Lane
Eben..................................Jason Bateman
Bupu..................................Kristin Davis
Khisanth.............................Gwyneth Paltrow,
Paladine.............................Samuel L. Jackson
Takhisis..............................Lucy Lawless
Mishakal..............................Liv Tyler
Kitiara................................Jennifer Garner

Produced & Directed by.........Ridley Scott & Tony Scott

hahahahaha
Man would that be a movie! I think the Wachowski Bros would be better for direction though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000