Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  21:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the site but have been reading DL for about 8 years. So I figured I'd get a feel for everyone by seeing who their favorite character was and why.

You must have dropped it!

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  02:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite character is definitely Raistlin. I love him pretty much more than any other literary character I have come across. My reasons are varied and many, but in a simple answer it is because he is extremely deep, layered, complex, unique, and his condition is used to write some of the most beautiful character stories that I have ever read. I cannot really express in words why I like him so much; there are no words that can accurately describe the feeling that reading about him gives me. All I know is that it unlocks something very deep inside of me that not many of the other characters do. So, that was kind of a long and weird answer, but there it is. Also, if you see my signature, that is a part that kind of shows why I love Raistlin so much and especially his relationship with Crysania.

"Raistlin!" It was Crysania's voice. Lifting his gaze, he saw her standing before him, holding his hands away from his face, her eyes wide and filled with concern.
"I'm all right", Raistlin said coldly. "Leave me alone!" But, even as he spoke, he sighed and lowered his head again, shuddering as the horror of the dream washed over him. Pulling a clean cloth from a pocket, he began to dab at the wounds on his face.
"No, you're not", Crysania murmured, taking the cloth from his shaking hands and gently touching the bleeding gouges. "Please, let me do this", she said, as he snarled something unintelligible. "I know you wont let me heal you, but there is a clear stream near. Come, drink some water, rest and let me wash these".
Sharp, bitter words were on Raistlin's lips. He raised a hand to thrust her away. But then he realized he didn't want her to leave. The darkness of the dream receded when she was with him. The touch of warm, human flesh was comforting after the cold fingers of death.
And so, he nodded with a weary sigh.

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 26 Oct 2012 02:10:24
Go to Top of Page

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  04:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raist is a VERY close second for me. The only other that tops him in my mind is Caramon. In the first couple of books they paint him as this big,dumb,hungry warrior, but as we learn in the Twins books he has a lot more going on in his head. He likes to sit and think deeply about things around him and because of this people view him as slow. Hes a great fighter and incredibly loyal. Pretty much the most selfless person out of any of the group. Raistlin is truly powerful and an amazing character on his own but in my opinion would not have been able to get to where he did without Caramon. Caramon was the one person I would always find myself getting the most emotional about whenever I read his parts in any book. So hard to pick a favorite but hes it.

You must have dropped it!
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  04:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fizban and Tas.... and I think that they both speak for themselves. Tas because he saves everyone, and most people think nothing of him but a nuance.....

BTW kerbs... WELCOME TO DLMS!!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-

Edited by - Fizban Who on 26 Oct 2012 04:50:14
Go to Top of Page

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  05:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you ^_^

Fizban is an amazing character. Having a god show himself on Krynn as someone like Fizban was a stroke of genius when the wrote it. Tas OF COURSE speaks for himself. All the characters are amazing, thats why its so hard to pick just one as a favorite. But thats why I made this topic lol. Wanted to make some people think.

"You must have dropped it!"
Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  05:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with a lot of your points on Caramon, but I disagree with some of them, too. I like him a lot and I know that Raistlin and Caramon couldn't exist as the great characters they are without each other. However, I do not find that he is as selfless as they make him out to be. I think that the "selflessness" he displays toward Raistlin is really just for his own benefit whether he knows it or not. He NEEDS Raistlin to need him. He helps Raistlin so much because he has to, otherwise he falls apart (as we saw with his drunken stage). Don't get me wrong, I like Caramon a lot as a character, and I absolutely adore the relationship between these two. I think overall I just don't like Caramon as much because he's not really my type of guy...and he doesn't have that evil element to him that Raistlin plays oh-so-well.

"Raistlin!" It was Crysania's voice. Lifting his gaze, he saw her standing before him, holding his hands away from his face, her eyes wide and filled with concern.
"I'm all right", Raistlin said coldly. "Leave me alone!" But, even as he spoke, he sighed and lowered his head again, shuddering as the horror of the dream washed over him. Pulling a clean cloth from a pocket, he began to dab at the wounds on his face.
"No, you're not", Crysania murmured, taking the cloth from his shaking hands and gently touching the bleeding gouges. "Please, let me do this", she said, as he snarled something unintelligible. "I know you wont let me heal you, but there is a clear stream near. Come, drink some water, rest and let me wash these".
Sharp, bitter words were on Raistlin's lips. He raised a hand to thrust her away. But then he realized he didn't want her to leave. The darkness of the dream receded when she was with him. The touch of warm, human flesh was comforting after the cold fingers of death.

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 26 Oct 2012 05:09:56
Go to Top of Page

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  19:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we just interpret him differently. Because I think with what he saw in the tower made him feel sorry for Raist and that's why he helps him so much he just wants him to have a better life regardless of how he's treated or by what he saw. The drunken stuper he puts himself in seems to me to be caused by guilt of not being there for him anymore.

Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  22:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but it's also the beauty of these characters that we as readers can both interpret them differently. I'd have to say my second favorite character is Crysania. I think she's pretty awesome, and once again I love her story with Raistlin. From there it gets kind of strange...I like Tanis, Lord Ariakas, and Fizban. Oh, and Bakaris.

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 26 Oct 2012 22:56:57
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  23:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raist, dont take this in a weird way, I love you I dont think I could have said anything about Raistin that well, my thoughts exactly. He is my number one forever Second favorite character would be Tanis, partly because I always thought he was pretty good looking, but also bcause the flawed hero he turns out to be. He doesnt want to be the leader but that is where everyone places him because they all respect him, even Raistlin though he doesnt show it often. The strong friendship he has with Sturm caused quite a few moveing momments for me. Those two arent brothers by blood but they are just as close.

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  00:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol! Thanks! That's fine, we are united by mutual love of Raistlin. And I agree completely with the things you said about Tanis. He's one of my favorites, too, just third on the list behind Crysania. At first I didn't like him, but he grew on me a lot until I enjoyed every moment he was in the books.

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 27 Oct 2012 00:57:23
Go to Top of Page

bguy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  00:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurana is by far my favorite character. She was so brave and clever and determined and grew so much and became such an amazing person during the Chronicles. Plus she did more to win the War of the Lance than any other character. And while a character that is an incredibly beautiful elven princess who is virtuous and charming and great at everything she does could easily become an insufferable Mary Sue, that never happens with Laurana. She still has flaws and makes mistakes which keep her relatable. Just an awesome character.

And RaistlinsLight23 I've got to ask, Bakaris??? I don't think I've ever seen him on anyone's favorite character list before. What did you like about him?

Edited by - bguy on 27 Oct 2012 01:09:58
Go to Top of Page

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  01:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hated Laurana when she was first introduced, but the way she turned out to be made me regret how I first felt about her. And then her fight with Beryllinthranox was amazing!
I've also always loved reading about Soth. Such a sad story but the way he impacts the story is so unique.

Edited by - kerbs on 27 Oct 2012 01:43:46
Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  01:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! I was soooo waiting for someone to react that way! Bakaris...well, I suppose I just found him interesting. I know he was an extremely minor and evil character, but I just kinda enjoy those flat, bad characters every once in a while. He was handsome, impulse-driven, and selfish, and for some reason intrigued me even while I was disgusted with him and laughed at his lame death. Lord Ariakas is above him though. He's just cool.

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 27 Oct 2012 01:37:23
Go to Top of Page

HammerFall

863 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  02:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have one right now but if I take time to read the books that my dad has then im sure ill have a fav sooner rather then later.
Go to Top of Page

kerbs
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  02:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which books have you read Hammerfall?

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  06:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really didnt like Laurana`s character at first either but as she progressed through the books I began to like her more, especialy nearing the end of the War of the Lance. Ive always liked Astinus because he has that air of mystery and he is so single minded its brilliant.

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000