Dragonlance Movie Site Forums
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Fantasy Discussion
 Books
 Favorite Fantasy Race

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Occamsrazor Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 02:17:07
One of the key elements to any good Fantasy Fiction setting and subsequent novels is originality and introduction of new, strange races. What is your all-time favorite Fantasy Fiction race, and why?

As for me, I would say it would have to be a toss up between Kender and Illithids (Mind Flayers). The Kender are a diminutive, very misunderstood race, akin to halflings of other worlds, considered by most on Krynn to be outright thieves, are ever cheerful and unshakeable, insatiably curious, and absolutely fearless. This combination makes for quite a colorful character. They love jails, and endeavor to visit as many as they can, though only until each one gets boring. Things strangely "fall" into a kender's pouches "by accident", or were put there for "safe keeping". Locks are considered a nuisance, and the whole concept of them should be banned.

Calling a kender a thief is the biggest insult you can give them, and they will almost assuredly retort that they are "not a thief! I am a handler." Because in Kender society, the term of owning something has very loose if any meaning, anything in a kender's possession for more than three weeks is considered a family heirloom.

Their insatiable curiosity combined with absolute fearlessness, is actually what defines a kender. They wish to know everything that goes on in the world, and yearn for new experiences--even death is considered a great adventure, though they do not have a death wish--which often gets them into trouble. Their fearlessness is such that it is not unheard of for a kender to walk across the snout of a sleeping red dragon, and look him in the eye just to have had the experience. Often this behavior perplexes a kender's enemies such, that the kender is able to get the upper hand.

Illithids are strange creatures of the Færûn Underdark of immense psionic powers. They are creatures of nightmares, having bulbous heads, long slimy fingers, and tenticles for feet and mouths. They essentially resemble an upright walking squid.

An evil race, and vastly misunderstood, Mind Flayers often ally themselves with Drow, who grudgingly respect their mind powers. Little is known about them, but as for an interesting race, and originality, I pick them as a favorite.

Please share your ideas for a favorite race, and why?

"All things being equal, the simplest answer tends to be correct!" --Scientific principal known as Occams Razor
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wolf1994 Posted - 20 Sep 2017 : 11:55:15
I actually liked mages. they can cast any type of spell and stuff. I also had a dream about being a mage once. then I woke up and started to hate life over again.
HammerFall Posted - 10 May 2011 : 23:55:22
oh hell naw it all goes to the mother fucking elf's lol
NinjaMaster 42 Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 16:43:38
Thats funny lol

Est Sularus Oth Mithas My Honor is my Life
Fizban Who Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 16:15:24
Tas kender hero Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 16:04:51
quote:
Originally posted by Fizban Who

I would have to go with DM with an addition of Dyads and Nymphs.....

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?

you perv!!!!

Guillermo del Toro's Fairies cos you never see a fairy come to a sticky ending lol!!!

Haplo's race from the death gate cycle

Ewoks!! my mums dog is names after Wicket!

House elfs Dobby Rules!!!

NinjaMaster 42 Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 15:54:34
I could be on here for 50 years man and i probably wouldnt understand it then.

Fizban Who Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 15:50:32
LOL!!! VD is a "Burt Reynolds" aficionado...... a way back DLMS 'in' joke.... NM, hang around and you will understand. Come to think of it....... I don't understand.....
NinjaMaster 42 Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 15:42:45
A what type organism

Fizban Who Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 13:18:17
Hey VD, what about a Burt type Organism?
Vassor Doss Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 12:49:13
Always wondered what the hell Snarf is. Would love to have his job.

Kalowen Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 12:08:07
Autoatomic Organisms from the planet Cybertron!!!!

Autobots for short.....

Deceptocons are cool too, just not as colorful. Unless you count Destoyer...
NinjaMaster 42 Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 22:58:53
Then again I also like Dragons so id go with them too.

Fizban Who Posted - 29 Aug 2009 : 10:28:07
I would have to go with DM with an addition of Dyads and Nymphs.....

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?
dark mage Posted - 27 Aug 2009 : 23:49:06
Its a tie between elves, fairys and Dragons for me because they are fun to draw, and they have a lot of lore.

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people-"V"

I think your mother tells you stories to fool you into falling asleep so that she and your father can have three miesly miniuts alone with out your insesent commands. She took my toy, he hit my bell, I want a party, I want a cookie, I want to stay up. I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now, now *gasp* Dont you see child? They only tell you stories to shut you up- "Captain James Hook"
NinjaMaster 42 Posted - 27 Aug 2009 : 22:57:08
My favorites are Half-Elves and Drow Elves. Evil yet Beutifal females in both of those races especially Drow.

Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000